Gretsch Amps

Well That’s One Way to Get a Gretsch Annie

I suppose I could have just bought a 6118, but I didn't need another guitar. I was driving through TavoTown last weekend and cajoled him into letting me look at an amp he was selling. And much as I love the sound of my Quilter amps, this one just bowled me over with its looks and tone. And the price was good, too.

Then my niece texted me and said "I found your lead singer" and sent me a picture of a doll made as part of the merchandising for the 1982 movie "Annie," (our lead singer is Aileen Quinn, who played Little Orphan Annie in that movie). So of course I had her buy it and send it to me. So, putting that on top of a Gretsch amp makes me the owner of a Gretsch Annie, right? OK, maybe not. But the amp's still dang cool.

My 6 year old daughter just watched your singer in Annie. How is she doing today? Do you have any recent clips? I would love to report back to my daughter.

Aileen Quinn is your singer now?

There is another GDP'er here, Larry Rosen, that had a band with her for a while.

Small world!

Those are great amplifiers, Frank. You will love it.

That's how I got my Gretsch Monkees guitar. All that, "and a little hat!"

Love the "Gretsch Monkees" guitar, Hoot Owl.

Aileen is doing great (and looking rather fine), BuddyHollywood, here's a clip from our show Saturday night:

though that clip was mostly just showing off my amp, here's one that's a little more Aileen-centric:

crowbone, I think it would be more accurate to say that "I'm her guitar player" rather than "she's my lead singer," as this band existed before I came along. Yes, same band, actually. Larry was one of my predecessors, though I've never met him. I have met and am friends with my immediate predecessor, Peter Kavanaugh, a monster player in his own right.

Thanks for the responses, all. I may get a picture of the doll, Aileen, and my guitar so I can claim to have a "Double Annie."

Love it!!! Great sounds! Looks like everyone was having a good time! Nice picking! Was that a Playboy or Executive you were playing through?

Hi, Hoot Owl, that's an Executive, formerly owned by Buzz Campbell, subtly tweaked by Tavo Vega, then spirited out of TavoTown before he had a chence to change his mind about selling it to me.

Damn Frank your getting down with that first song.Way to go.

Where is this gig?

Hi, Hoot Owl, that's an Executive, formerly owned by Buzz Campbell, subtly tweaked by Tavo Vega, then spirited out of TavoTown before he had a chence to change his mind about selling it to me.

– giffenf

A stealth move! Congrats

Hey, Manny. That was at Viva Cantina in Burbank last Saturday.

Register Sign in to join the conversation