Gretsch Amps

Weird ‘50’s Gretsch Stereo Amp PSA — Again

No Affiliation With Seller.

Dunno about the Eddie Cochran story ( he did not play a stereo guitar) but this appears to be a '50's stereo amp project.

I wonder if Eddie Cochran installed the IEC power cord connector in the amp? Or perhaps Elvis or John Lennon did that?

I wouldn't call this stereo by any stretch of the imagination. Treble/bass separate amps, but, as the speakers are in a single cabinet, it's mono. Still, it's a pretty cool amp.

It's a 1962 Gretsch 6168 Stereo-King. Makes the Eddie story an impossibility since Eddie died in 1960.

It's a 1962 Gretsch 6168 Stereo-King. Makes the Eddie story an impossibility since Eddie died in 1960.

– Wheelgrinder

maybe it was on backorder.

– Wheelgrinder

I have seen the Stereo-King page in my first post as part of a catalog that was up for sale on Reverb a while back and described as an original 1961 Gretsch catalog. I think that was a mistake by the seller though as I didn't see '1961' anywhere in the photos he had posted and in the actual 1961 catalog (that is posted here on the GDP in the Memorabilia section) this is the ad for the Jimmie Webster Project-O-Sonic guitar which shows a Country Club hooked up to two separate amplifiers rather than the new Stereo-King which negated the need for two amplifiers.

Either way though, 1961 or 1962 it's still at least two years too late for Eddie to have "...left it" in Oklahoma when it was broken. Eddie left for the UK in the first week of January 1960 and never returned so unless these Stereo-King amps were available in early 1959 (of which I've seen no evidence) then the 'Cochran family member' who told the eBay seller that this amp was Eddie's has a little math problem to wrestle with.

This guy does a walk thru, although he seems to get lost in the complexity. Seems to be some of the key components missing.

Cool concept, but sounds pretty LO-FI.

Looks like the stereo kind has 2 cabinets too..did I miss one in the ebay ad? Looks somebody replaced the baffle and speakers. The original must of been in pretty rough shape!

@Powdog - I'm pretty sure he's mistaken in his description of the Stereo-King as 1950s and also when he describes the rig as a "1958 Stereo Gretsch White Falcon and it's matching Stereo-King set amplifiers".

To the best of my knowledge there was no 'matching' set of amplifiers from Gretsch for the stereo Falcon, Country Club or Anniversary. In fact the Stereo-King was advertised as "...true stereo amplification engineered specifically for full reproduction of the guitar. Now bass and treble tones of any electric guitar can be separated in true stereo."

The Stereo-King had inputs for true stereo guitars (Project-O-Sonics) as well as inputs for regular guitars, so this was not a "matching set" for the '58 Stereo Falcon.

Couldn't read the small print of the Stereo King description, but did it separate bass from treble frequencies? I always thought there was a special cable that ran into a splitter box then to the separate speakers. What did the SK unit do that was so special?

Couldn't read the small print of the Stereo King description, but did it separate bass from treble frequencies? I always thought there was a special cable that ran into a splitter box then to the separate speakers. What did the SK unit do that was so special?

– lx

Yes, it had separate treble and bass circuits. Here's the write up from the ad enlarged. It's a bit blurry because of resolution loss but I think it's readable.

The Stereo King amplifier had two separate 35 watt amps built into one chassis. One voiced for bass frequencies and the other for treble. It was wired to accept a single stereo cable or two separate cables, sending the signal from the neck pickup (bass) to one amp and out to a 1x15" cab, and the bridge pickup (treble) to the other amp and a separate 2x8" speaker cab.

The amp in the eBay listing is the Stereo King amp, but the speaker cab is random. The seller says as much. I included the video link as a point of interest, that's all.

Of course it's early 60's. I humbly digress.

The Stereo King amplifier had two separate 35 watt amps built into one chassis. One voiced for bass frequencies and the other for treble. It was wired to accept a single stereo cable or two separate cables, sending the signal from the neck pickup (bass) to one amp and out to a 1x15" cab, and the bridge pickup (treble) to the other amp and a separate 2x8" speaker cab.

The amp in the eBay listing is the Stereo King amp, but the speaker cab is random. The seller says as much. I included the video link as a point of interest, that's all.

Of course it's early 60's. I humbly digress.

– Powdog

Absolutely Powdog I didn't mean at all for my response to the video you posted to infer that you thought the amp was a 50s model. Just thought it was worth noting that the guy in the video wasn't particularly accurate in his description of the rig.

So what cab do you guys believe this to be if it's not one of the Stereo King cabs?

It could be the treble cab with a new baffle board. It looks to be the right size. I think it was a little smaller than the bass cabinet and they nested together for easier transport. Pretty cool idea.

Stereo was the hot lick, the train to be on in the early 60s... Magnatone also bought into the stereo concept in design and promotion.

Not the only one...... A complete original set was sold recently at a Music Go Round for $3,500. Yours is much nicer but theirs was indeed a complete set. So there's at least two original sets out there. Still very rare.

This is mine which I've posted before and is the same amp that was the subject of this original thread. The amp head (center/back) has a 1959 dated serial number tag , pots and transformers. I had all reproduction cabs made by J Design so I could put the set together. Each cab has period and model correct vintage Jensens. I added the Gretsch reverb unit as an after thought and very much like the total "3-point" effect. I still have the original head cab and 2-8" cab hoping the missing 15" will show itself someday.

I think "only 4 known to exist" probably means that particular seller only knows of four.

Kind of a funny trail with that Music Go Round unit, I spoke with the manager seeing if I could somehow talk him out of the 15" cab. He told me he only paid $400 for the entire set up!!!!!. It sat there for months before it sold. Not completely certain but it does look similar to that $18,000 set up. Regardless, I hope it does sell for that crazy price and I'll sell mine for "merely" half

I think "only 4 known to exist" probably means that particular seller only knows of four.

– Afire

I doubt that there were too many of these to begin with. Just adds to the rarity.

Register Sign in to join the conversation