Gretsch Amps

Victoria” Playboy or Executive “what would you do if one had to go”

Yeah, the Exec was the one to keep. I still have my Victoria Regal, original SWART STR sn. 004, Dr Z MINI and Maz38 all with great one cord plug in break-up. Thanks for the tips guys....

The EXec is the master of clean in my book. The Regal is the woody dark side. A pity it doesn't crunch a bit earlier. Might have to try 6k6, haha! I investigated the Playboy but it wasn't as technical "pure" as other Gretsch/Vic amps. But I never tried one so my opinion is subjective. The Variety is a gem with its tremolo but I was told it's very powerful. I can't use powerful at my home.

The EXec is the master of clean in my book. The Regal is the woody dark side. A pity it doesn't crunch a bit earlier. Might have to try 6k6, haha! I investigated the Playboy but it wasn't as technical "pure" as other Gretsch/Vic amps. But I never tried one so my opinion is subjective. The Variety is a gem with its tremolo but I was told it's very powerful. I can't use powerful at my home.

– Geoff_Vane

"Master of clean"?

You ought to try one with a D130F. Wow!

My D130F is going into a custom cab with the guts of a SF Bandmaster Reverb....when I find one.

My Exec is fine with its Eminence Legend but the thought is intriguing!

*"My Exec is fine with its Eminence Legend ..."*

You know, it probably would have been but a previous owner made that choice for me so now I will have to just "live with it." Tough job, I know.

*"My Exec is fine with its Eminence Legend ..."*

You know, it probably would have been but a previous owner made that choice for me so now I will have to just "live with it." Tough job, I know.

– Don Birchett

The sacrifices we sometimes have to contend with. You have my sympathies.

– Geoff_Vane

I made an adapter ring for the Regal and swapped out the Emi15 for a Celestion Gold, took out the two 6L6's and went with one 6V6 and a Bendix 6106 rec… has some pretty nice break-up and not near as dark.

For me, the beauty of this amp is the rich, clean, room-filling tone it delivers. I have no use for as much as 1% breakup/distortion from any of my amps.

Dark? It's not as bright as an SR but I never thought of it's tone as dark. Guess it's a YMMV

If I did want it I could get it from '66 PR by turning up the bass to around 7 as well as the volume. It's 'only' 40 watts but has incredible punch when pushed. The only thing I'm fixing on the Exec is taking out the whop-whop of the tremolo.

For me, the beauty of this amp is the rich, clean, room-filling tone it delivers. I have no use for as much as 1% breakup/distortion from any of my amps.

Dark? It's not as bright as an SR but I never thought of it's tone as dark. Guess it's a YMMV

If I did want it I could get it from '66 PR by turning up the bass to around 7 as well as the volume. It's 'only' 40 watts but has incredible punch when pushed. The only thing I'm fixing on the Exec is taking out the whop-whop of the tremolo.

– Windsordave

I think he might be refering to the Victoria Regal being dark… not the Exec, but I maybe wrong in even what your saying...

I think he might be refering to the Victoria Regal being dark… not the Exec, but I maybe wrong in even what your saying...

– MackayGTRS

I think you're right unless the Gretsch amps also came in striped tweed.

I meant the Regal is darkish sounding when stock. Not gonna change that. And the Exec is bright and clean enough as is, for me. If anyone succeeds in fixing the tremolo whopsing, then I'm happy to learn how to do that.

I also wish that Gretsch would definitively state for us how this tremolo popping issue should be fixed. The last that I heard, the problem is in the footswitch. Yet, when Mark Baier talked to me about fixing it, it had nothing to do with that. He wanted me to pull the amp head out of the cabinet and ship it back to him. Such a tremendous amp but this issue is incredibly aggravating for those of us who want to gig or record with the amp.

To the powers that be: Please issue a written description, including a schematic if appropriate, of how to fix the problem. Post it on the Gretsch Guitars website so that any tech, no matter where located, can quickly understand what needs to be done to fix it. But, first, be absolutely certain that you have the definitive solution in hand.

Oh my... I see you have my holy grail amp, the Swart AST MkII. I love those things. I WILL own one someday.

Great music room!

I called Victoria regarding the trem pop, and while not admitting that it's a common issue they told me it's a single resistor fix. I guess to hold the trem circuit slightly above ground. Should be an easy fix.

I called Victoria regarding the trem pop, and while not admitting that it's a common issue they told me it's a single resistor fix. I guess to hold the trem circuit slightly above ground. Should be an easy fix.

– Powdog

Could I hire you to do it for me at the Roundup, if it truly is an easy fix? I would SOOOO love to be rid of that issue with this great amp.

Does it pop with the reverb switched off or only when the reverb is on?

I think that it is when the reverb is on, but I will check to be certain.

Oh my... I see you have my holy grail amp, the Swart AST MkII. I love those things. I WILL own one someday.

Great music room!

– ruger9

Thanks, It's actually the ST Stereo with the two 5 watt amps, ridiculously lush reverb on one channel, and his truly impeccable tremolo on the other. It's pretty amazing. From what I believe only 2 tweed versions were made. This one Micheal made for NAM a few years ago. I think '14 or '15. I spoke to him and tracked it down at Humbucker Music.

A few months back I did two things: used a different footswitch, and started holding the switch down for a second or two before releasing. I haven't heard a pop since! (on a Playboy)

Lost your email addy Bob. Tried to PM without success. Contact me.

Spoke with Mark Baier today. He said that he could have designed a buffered trem circuit that was quieter and more modern but opted instead to go with a simpler, old-school trem circuit. The "pop" is part of the acceptable character of the amp. No simple fix without possibly changing the signature of the tremolo. He said I could quote him.

What a load of crap ('scuse my French) that is! Is it within the acceptable character of an amplifier if it can't be used to record with because it makes the stupid popping noise?

Frankly, he just slipped a notch or two in my eyes (not as if that will keep him awake at night). A professional does not turn out subpar product, no matter what the excuse. Has he no pride in the product that he creates? How utterly lame.

Might try a different pedal as DaddyDog did. Might do the trick.

What TYPE of tremolo is this? Opto-isolator (like most blackface Fenders) or tube bias (like a couple of blackface fenders and some brownfaces)?

Whatever the answer is, I've owned amps with tube bias trem before, and they did not pop. I haven't owned one with opto-isolator trem, but I have never read across-the-board reports of them popping... and the BF Deluxe Reverb is one of the most popular amps of all-time...

The Executive is basically a Deluxe Reverb. Same optoisolator type trem circuit. Other Fenders with the same trem (Twins, Vibro Kings, etc) that have developed the "pop" have been cured with the addition of a voltage control resistor (10K) inline with the foot switch jack. The Executive already has this, at least on the schematic. It may not be present on the earliest models, I haven't looked. I would still try a different footswitch first.

Register Sign in to join the conversation