Gretsch Amps

Valco Gretsch amp prices up? down? stable?

I'm not sure either is exemplary of market forces.

1) The tweed one has those oval speakers, which I think will always be a turn off to series money.

2) The other one looked clean but there are hardly any photos, the ones there aren't that great and was no info whatsoever (model, tubes, originality) to justify the asking price. The seller couldn't even spell "Gretsch" correctly. A 5 watt 6152 in great shape (has reverb and tremolo) I would pay in the high hundreds for. My brother has one - they are nice.

I paid more than I normally would for a Gretsch Valco last year (more than your tweed less than the other one you link to) but the configuration was very particular and desireable to me--mid 60s model 6156 Playboy with vintage 6972 tubes (including an extra NOS one - $100+ right there) and a stock 12 inch Jensen rather than the usual 10''. It looked to have lived in a garage or barn for a decent portion of its life but it cleaned up OK.

I had wondered if there was any mania for tweed Gretsch, like there is for tweed Fender. The oval speaker scene -- there must have been something behind using them in that era. But then the later Valco Gretsch maybe formn 63-64 on... that redesign -- they got away from the oval speaker scene.

$600-odd sale price for that tweed is respectable. I had a 55 tweed Gretsch and it had an output transformer mounted on the speaker I think. That sort of thing, field coil speakers and oval speakers require a certain audience.

I remember when I was really keen to get a cowboy amp, the oval didn't bother me so much but my recollection is that they were impossible or near impossible to replace with modern. It's been a long time so my recollection may be off, but that's one more thing. Straight up 10'' or 12'' speaker ones without massive wattage, 6v6 over 6L6 etc I feel are good market performers.

$600-odd sale price for that tweed is respectable. I had a 55 tweed Gretsch and it had an output transformer mounted on the speaker I think. That sort of thing, field coil speakers and oval speakers require a certain audience.

I remember when I was really keen to get a cowboy amp, the oval didn't bother me so much but my recollection is that they were impossible or near impossible to replace with modern. It's been a long time so my recollection may be off, but that's one more thing. Straight up 10'' or 12'' speaker ones without massive wattage, 6v6 over 6L6 etc I feel are good market performers.

– knavel

I was just about to start a post about my 6161 speakers. It has the ovals and they are shot. I ended up replacing them with a 12" speaker. Replaced Output Transformer with an 8 ohm one out of a 5E3 Deluxe (2 ohm in the Gretsch). It sounds great. I will put up a post with pics. http://gretschpages.com/for...

Register Sign in to join the conversation