Gretsch Amps

Survey: How many have one (or more) of the Victoria-made Gretsch Amps.

The Variety, Executive and/or Playboy. Anyone have all three? It seems that more and more are getting the Executive. Maybe the Variety is too much and the Playboy not enough. The Playboy would probably have sold better if it had built in reverb but that probably would have priced it too close to the Executive.

Anyway, one Executive for me.

Ex-Variety. The harmonic tremolo seduced me away from the Exec, whose core tone I probably like better. It was more amp than I could really use, with a tone as big as all outdoors.

The Exec may be the greatest-sounding amp I ever, and maybe someday I will. But I'm pretty much not allowed to play through amps anymore, so why bother?

The Playboy would always have been enough for my purposes, really, if it had reverb. Now I use external reverb anyway. Coulda shoulda.

I won one at a Nashville RU, nice amp but the revered/trem combo had a weird rhythmic click so I sent it off to Billy Zoom. A few conversations later and it's perfect.

I'm in for one Exec. The tone is perfect for clear - Chet/Merle fingerstyle - playing and in a small to medium size venue, fills the room with sound. Folks have commented on the sound, saying it sounds like there's speakers behind them!

I already had a mint, one owner SF '71 VR so no need for a Playboy, and if I ever needed more than the [loud] 22 watts of the Exec - which I never have! - I have my '66 BF Pro Reverb so no need for the Variety. And it's smaller than the Variety too....heavy bugger though.

What??!! Are you telling me that Gretsch has had amplifiers??

Ex-Variety. The harmonic tremolo seduced me away from the Exec, whose core tone I probably like better. It was more amp than I could really use, with a tone as big as all outdoors.

The Exec may be the greatest-sounding amp I ever, and maybe someday I will. But I'm pretty much not allowed to play through amps anymore, so why bother?

The Playboy would always have been enough for my purposes, really, if it had reverb. Now I use external reverb anyway. Coulda shoulda.

– Proteus

Great tune. The video / sound has a very intense vibe. Nice job.

I have the Playboy, it also has a click when the Tremolo is engaged...and the power light flickers... But it sounds awesome.

So far that's 5 Executives, 1 Playboy and 1 (Ex-) Variety, for those keeping score.

Count me in for 1 each of Playboy and Executive ova heeya.

I've only played a Playboy, but it was one of the best amps I've ever plugged into. Normally, lack of reverb would make me pause, but it sounded SO good, I don't care in this case. If I ever run across one and have the $$$, I'll buy it.

I bought an Executive in 2008 and then sold it in 2011 when a Standel 25L15 found its way into my life.

the ones i've heard sounded great, but the expense and the number of workmanship complaints i've seen rather put me off. i already have enough amps that need work LOL.

Not allowed to play through amps anymore? You're way past due for a Roundup.

the ones i've heard sounded great, but the expense and the number of workmanship complaints i've seen rather put me off. i already have enough amps that need work LOL.

– macphisto

"If the number of non-running amps in your house exceeds the number of running amps, you might just be ..."

Count me in for 1 Variety (Tim’s ex) and 1 Playboy.

I do watch for an Executive so I can complete the family. I have thought about a multi-watt switch for the Variety, but probably will never do it. With the volume knob at about 30% and nocturne pedals, I think it sounds amazing and meets my needs.

Playboy -- 3

Executive -- 7

Variety -- 1

Any more?

Gretsch Executive is still the greatest I've ever heard.

K

Ricky Bobby 12-stringillingus is playin’ it coy, methinx, the li’l stinka.

I have the Exec and a full Vic (the Regal II). All Vics have problems with the trem: it is not adjusted correctly so you'll hear a chopping sound that shouldn't be there. And the Exec needs a reverb correction: the designer made a mistake so it hums like crazy.

Other than that, they both are great amps as in the character of the sound.

The only amp that sounds better than the Exec (in the same realm), is the MaBeRy Pro Amp version. Elektra is at the same boutique level but those have a different sound, as they use 8-pin tubes.

Ricky Bobby 12-stringillingus is playin’ it coy, methinx, the li’l stinka.

– tubwompus

Don already counted me, Sammy. Didn'tchya notice?

I have had a Playboy for a roughly a year now, great amp. I'd love to get an Executive, I'm sure I'll find one in the future. I gig with my Playboy, smaller venues and I sounds great. So put me down for one Playboy

Register Sign in to join the conversation