Gretsch Amps

Stereo King project finished

Purchased the head and 2x8" cab off eBay a few months back. I had J Design Cabs build repro cabs until the unlikely day arrives that I can find the missing 15" cab. Storing the original cabs as they are still in pretty nice shape.

You need to find another fridge handle or two. That group looks great! You know that you're the only kid on the block with that setup!

You need to find another fridge handle or two. That group looks great! You know that you're the only kid on the block with that setup!

– wabash slim

Actually that's exactly how Gretsch made them. The 2x8" cab fits inside the 1-15" cab so only 1 chrome handle. The amp was given a completely different handle ..... Go figure ? I'm taking it to the No. Cal roundup for all to play!

Here's the cabs one slid into The other for carry

WEll I guess Gretsch thought up the ideas, and Supro built them.... very cool.

Very nice job you did there Tomm. I was wondering why only one cab had a handle.

I guess that you tote the head separately?

Yes I guess the idea was to place one cabinet inside the other and carry it by the handle on the 15" and then carry the head with the other hand. Of course then there's the 12 metal legs so it could not have been very convenient. I guess that's why they were only sold in '62 and then disappeared. It is one LOUD amp.

I learn something every day. I've seen a nesting drum kit, so nesting speaker cabs isn't too much of a stretch.

Very nice job you did there Tomm. I was wondering why only one cab had a handle.

I guess that you tote the head separately?

– JW

I have to give ALL the credit to Jeff Earl at J Design Cabs here in N. Calif. He researched the amp exhaustively trying to determine every important detail before starting construction. I just wish we could have found some available original pattern tolex and did a proper re-creation. The tolex Jeff came up with still looks pretty "retro" !

That's a great looking set up sir!

As a stereo guitar zombie, I'm looking forward to good recordings of the amp from the NorCal. Hope someone will take the trouble to set up a stereo recorder or videoter. Dr Gretsch maybe? Frank?

Of course this was to go along with the stereo Falcon, and ties right into the two-handed tapping album Jimmie Webster made about the same time.

That Jimmie Webster, he was something.

As a stereo guitar zombie, I'm looking forward to good recordings of the amp from the NorCal. Hope someone will take the trouble to set up a stereo recorder or videoter. Dr Gretsch maybe? Frank?

Of course this was to go along with the stereo Falcon, and ties right into the two-handed tapping album Jimmie Webster made about the same time.

That Jimmie Webster, he was something.

– Proteus

I'll also have the 6149 Reverb unit to go with it at the gathering.

Well the story on this amp never seems to end. I'm getting ready to leave for the Nor Cal roundup in the morning and was looking at the original '62 catalog I'm taking with me. In the catalog it specs that the SK has 10 total tubes. I take a look at mine and I find 11???. So I pull up some pictures from a gentleman in the UK who owns two of these and something jumps out...... His two SK's are different from mine!!! All of his main power tubes are at the rear of the amp. All of mine are at the front?? His transformers are in different locations than mine?? He has two wiring harness's that terminate in different locations than mine?? His serial number tags are outside the cab, mine is inside?? I can't wait to see Joe Carducci tomorrow for some answers. I've long suspected I have an early prototype, hopefully Joe can figure this out.

Register Sign in to join the conversation