Gretsch Amps

Setzer with a Supro?

Just saw Setzer playing through a Supro Thunderbolt on CMA Christmas show!

I just got a 1965 Supro Thunderbolt

With a 1970's Tele you sound exactly like Jimmy Page

Setzer has been recording w his original thunderbolts for many albums (13, Lonely Ave,etc) and for that broadcast..Thats a rent a band playing with him :)

@JeffO.. while Setzer prefers the 65' solid state rectifier model.. I think Hippy Dude was using the tube rectified model, ya?

new supro line is made in long island usa!..nothin wrong with that

they sound good..ones i've heard..

caveat- not ptp

oh well

cheers

Private video??

– Kevin Frye

forbidden for french members ?

The last amps I serviced for him were a Harmony and a Supro. He was getting into smaller amps.

I inserted the video again. The original stopped working for me as well.

I can't decide if Yabba-Dabba Yuletide is genius or the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

I can't decide if Yabba-Dabba Yuletide is genius or the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

– Mr Tubs

Maybe it's both.

My wife and me were listening to the album while putting up our decorations and she couldn't decide either.

Another amp I should've kept! Bah!!! It's a disease I tell ya!

photo 1325536990.jpg

My wife and me were listening to the album while putting up our decorations and she couldn't decide either.

– Mr Tubs

We believe he was 100% Yoko'd into doing this song.

I just got a 1965 Supro Thunderbolt

With a 1970's Tele you sound exactly like Jimmy Page

– Rey Allen (Jeff O)

I've got 2 right now (don't ask!!!). I also stumbled on an old Vox Tone Bender. Great stuff there from Jimmie Page to Badfinger (it nails No Matter What) to T Rex. How you liking that Thunderbolt? I find them a little boring until they're cranked right up. Then, of course, heavenly! Not super loud either...they don't get wooly like a tweed, either. My tweed Deluxe is louder.

Got a recent coronado. Great amp but getting tired of banging on about it. Me no Zeppelin thing, want to hear some rock and roll on supros for a change

Vince, how do you think you'd like a 63' bassman with octal tubes into a 12"x8" cab?

63....bassman....octal tubes....12x8 inch cab....brain hurt....sounds very intriguing! That's what excites me about amps these days, wondering about something that'd be unique instead of a formula sound. Tell me more

63....bassman....octal tubes....12x8 inch cab....brain hurt....sounds very intriguing! That's what excites me about amps these days, wondering about something that'd be unique instead of a formula sound. Tell me more

– Vince_Ray

Back in the 90s I was buying and selling used mesa amplifiers and while the dual rectos ended up becoming uber metal head and screamo amps of choice, they're actually AMAZINGLY versatile and toneful for any kind of music if set up well. I used EL34 Svets in mine instead of the stock 6L6's and in particular I had a cab they put out for a short time called the 4x8x12(something like that) and it was a very compact ext cab that featured a 12" vintage 30 in the middle with four 8" speakers around it. They billed it as a "410 on steroids" and for me it made the tonal versatility of the tremoverb head I had, exponentially better. I never really liked the high gain sound of mesa, so I set the amp very clean and relied on 2 tubescreamers in series I'd modded. ..going off on a memory lane tangent. The point is that this cab design had all the great attributes of a 212 cab but provided some of that forward honk of a 10" speaker cab for a hollowbody without that 410 stigma of clinical high end and upper mids that tire your ears out.,,,because they were 8" celestions. I also had for a short time a Fender custom shop designed two tone Blues Junior w a 12" x10", not a great amp but looked cool and the speaker cab had a leaner meaner response than your typical open back 212 cab. So a cab w an 8" and a 12" would be a great compliment to my Blondeshell, especially w an Octal preamp creating more of a vintage late 40's tweed pro character while not losing what a 6G6-B does for a hollowbody, keeping the low end tight and woody instead of wooly but giving the texture n signature reedy growl of all those old R&B recordings. I think Mr Setzer likes exactly that but probably fights between a molten Supro response and the gentleman response of the Bassman, he wants both. So do I but I dont really care for Supros as a clean amp.. I want to mix gibson and fender in a new way. I think Valco did a good job by mistake in some cases but those amps are all tin cans. I love my late 40s Magnatone and Epi Electar but they would explode if they fell out of the back of my wagon or the drummer tripped over them on stage.

Register Sign in to join the conversation