Gretsch Amps

Rogue 7157 Tremolo / Magic Echo Repair

I have been working on a Gretsch Rogue model 7157 to fix an issue with the tremolo / magic echo. First of all are there any schematics for this amp?

The tremolo can sometimes be barely heard, but the magic echo there is no change in sound. I have tested the transistors and all have tested in good condition. are there any suggestions on what might be the issue?

I think Magic Echo was also used in the larger version of the Safari solid state model. Glad someone is willing to take this on!

You can find a Rogue schematic on the Schematic Heaven site here:

https://schematicheaven.net...

Scroll to the bottom of the Gretsch amp section. Hopefully it's what you need.

I owned a Rogue back in the 70s and the impression I had at that time was that the tremolo used a sine wave and the magic echo was tremolo but using a square wave for a more abrupt echo-like effect. I'd be interested to know if that was the case.

That's not a complete schematic though....it's the power supply, power amp, and tremolo oscillator...but none of the parts we actually want to see.

We want to know what's in these rectacgular boxes!

You can find a Rogue schematic on the Schematic Heaven site here:

https://schematicheaven.net...

Scroll to the bottom of the Gretsch amp section. Hopefully it's what you need.

I owned a Rogue back in the 70s and the impression I had at that time was that the tremolo used a sine wave and the magic echo was tremolo but using a square wave for a more abrupt echo-like effect. I'd be interested to know if that was the case.

– Mij

I have a copy of that schematic and it is not what the Tremolo/Magic echo circuit looks like. I have made a schematic of the circuit and tested every component, there was a transistor that was replaced before I got into it, and I'm thinking it was replaced with the wrong transistor, therefore I would need an original schematic to determine what transistor was used. The problem is, all the transistors are obsolete and some you can't find a replacement for.

Register Sign in to join the conversation