Gretsch Amps

Return of the Executive…??

Because it was one sentence. Proteus would normally wax poetic for three paragraphs and make you glad that he did.

– Don Birchett

The "original" was certainly not one sentence. It was probably the last sentence of the third paragraph on page 2........ of a WONDERFUL read!

I truly miss Proteus' prose and wisdom here....

Great to read the story behind the gretsch/Victoria collaboration and it explains a little about why we have no RI gretsch amps. 'Poor communication and corporate lethargy'..... Shouldn't have happened. Shame there.

Supro seemed to be able to get their act together and make new amps based on the old Valvo concepts. Made in the U.S too.

So Fender/Gretsch stand by and watch like a herd of cows looking at a new fence.

Great to read the story behind the gretsch/Victoria collaboration and it explains a little about why we have no RI gretsch amps. 'Poor communication and corporate lethargy'..... Shouldn't have happened. Shame there.

– Vince_Ray

Vince, before you take Gretsch to task too sternly, you might consider that you are seeing here only one side of the story. There is another side to the same story.

Or, as Vince Gill once sang, "There's three sides to every story --- your side, my side, and the truth."

Supro seemed to be able to get their act together and make new amps based on the old Valvo concepts. Made in the U.S too.

So Fender/Gretsch stand by and watch like a herd of cows looking at a new fence.

– Vince_Ray

You might also consider that Gretsch has been a little busy in the last year or two bringing out a substantially revamped Proline Series, a significantly revamped Electromatic Series, and an all new Streamliner Series, all to very strong critical support. I doubt that it has been a case of Gretsch's leadership team standing about doing nothing. Anyone who knows Joe Carducci knows what an incredible schedule he keeps and how he works through the night quite often on budgets, reports, and other documentation for FMIC suits. The rest of the team is most likely heavily engaged as well. So, the development of a new amp line has been assigned a somewhat lower priority so that all of the other developments could get done. I am pretty confident that, when Gretsch does come out with its new amplifiers, they will have been worth the wait. They sure got it right with Mark Baier / Victoria and I see no reason why that same level of care and concern exhibited during that iteration of the amplifiers wouldn't be present during the next go-around.

Hmm, I did quote Marks's comments on 'poor communication and corporate lethargy' and sensed a little frustration there. Had similar experiences.

But of course, that's fair enough, as you say Ric, they've prioritised other areas and have had a busy time with new products

You can pretty much buy the same amp but with a Victoria logo so why the sad faces? I believe the Rev Horton Heat uses a Gretsch(Victoria) as his main amp now.

Hmm, I did quote Marks's comments on 'poor communication and corporate lethargy' and sensed a little frustration there. Had similar experiences.

– Vince_Ray

Of course, that is his perception. But, it only tells one side of the story. And, while it is true that corporate businesses do have more internal hoops and rings that have to be jumped through before decisions are made, there is often good policy reason for that; we just aren't aware of what those policies are.

No sad faces really, I just love those old Valco style Gretsch amps in the 60's. It would be great to see them again made by..or for...the big G.

Hand me some Gretsch Logo's, I'll make your gretsch smile with this combo, w its 12" and 8" speakers! Designed by a lifetime Gretsch wielding musician for Gretsch musicians. Surf and Turf shingle hangin right here! :)

hows that for honking your horn, in your driveway Mr. Gretsch? #provendesign

nicely nicely!!

hope that gears away from the diving board!!

haha

cheers

I'd love to see that happen Tavo. I know you'd want to build the real thing too. Would they let you? Those amps aren't rocket science either. Still don't unnerstand, still think they should have those amps in the range, even if they are busy with loon pant guitars

I agree,seems it would be a logical and beneficial endeavor on both sides...different approach,voice & look.

vr- "loon pant guitars"

haha

cheers

I don't have money for ANY of this crap.

But those are some cool looking amps, Tavo. And the Executive is head-turning. I first heard it at Nashville. I was standing directly in front of it but could not tell for sure from whence that enormous sound was coming.

Hand me some Gretsch Logo's, I'll make your gretsch smile with this combo, w its 12" and 8" speakers! Designed by a lifetime Gretsch wielding musician for Gretsch musicians. Surf and Turf shingle hangin right here! :)

hows that for honking your horn, in your driveway Mr. Gretsch? #provendesign

– TheNocturneBrain

Where's the amp with the 15" JBL D130 in it?

Where's the amp with the 15" JBL D130 in it?

– Windsordave

oh I still make the Blondeshell 1x15 combo, using Weber's high pwr'd version of the D130. The Weber California smooth cone w H cap. (option for alum cap of course, if you dont use overdrives). Sounds purty w the long tank reverb. The Bettie blondeshells in the photo above hold a 12" and an 8" spkr, but are the same size as the 1x15 cab.

Nick Urso w his 1x15 blondeshell

oh I still make the Blondeshell 1x15 combo, using Weber's high pwr'd version of the D130. The Weber California smooth cone w H cap. (option for alum cap of course, if you dont use overdrives). Sounds purty w the long tank reverb. The Bettie blondeshells in the photo above hold a 12" and an 8" spkr, but are the same size as the 1x15 cab.

Nick Urso w his 1x15 blondeshell

– TheNocturneBrain

That sounds like a nice amp! If I lived nearby I'd have you build me a custom amp but unfortunately up here in Canada our money doesn't go far these days and the border gets in on the deal and rapes us further! About 25 watts, 15", full range of controls, reverb....everything to help my Gretsches with that Chet sound.

Thanks Dave. So if things are messed up in Canada compared to the States, does that mean one could buy gold coins there for a better price? Or do when then get hit w a tax for bringing that over here? Random question but its been on my mind, and you are Canadian :)

I'm at a Rev show right now staring at one of those beautiful Gretsch amps!

Edit: he's about to come on, I'll try to get some pics

This should do it

How about the Rev with a custom TK Smith and Unknown Hinson?

He had TWO Gretsch Executives behind him BTW

Register Sign in to join the conversation