Gretsch Amps

PSA: Used executive found on GC website

The two ads have both at the same price, which can be expected for two different locations. $1500 for the Exec is right but the Playboy should be hundreds cheaper. If someone is interested in the Playboy they can use the Exec as the price point for that model and knock $3-400 off the Playboy. Easy justification for offering much less.

Windsordave, I disagree with your analysis. I think that the Executive is priced too cheap and the Playboy about right. These amps are difficult to find nowadays and those who know about them find them highly desirable. I have actually given thought to picking up that Executive. But, I want Proteus to have a chance to acquire it.

Okay Bob I'll bow to your evaluation. I was going on past sales I recalled but couldn't recall the price of that Exec you picked up near you a short while ago. I do remember seeing an Exec for around $1650 but I guess that was underpriced. Tim would love it I'm sure.

I’m sure I would. I just don’t know when I would have a chance to play through it. It’s too big for home and too nice for gigs.

I already have too many amps, and there’s literally no room for more. Maybe if I sold a few to make room...

I’d just have it to be having it. But maybe!

I purchased an executive from that very same GC in Jackson, MS during the Christmas holiday shipping frenzy.

When it arrived, I refused delivery as the amp was sliding around in the back of the delivery truck on its uncovered grill.

I was livid. I’d been waiting a long time for the opportunity to buy one. Funds and availability rarely coincide.

I documented the damage and appealed to GC, and to their credit, was promptly refunded.

I was sickened as I was left to believe that there was now one fewer in the wild, and my chance for acquiring another diminished.

Could this be the same one refurbished and hence the attractive price?

Just got off the phone with Jackson GC.

I believe in second chances

Order placed

I’m sure I would. I just don’t know when I would have a chance to play through it. It’s too big for home and too nice for gigs.

I already have too many amps, and there’s literally no room for more. Maybe if I sold a few to make room...

I’d just have it to be having it. But maybe!

– Proteus

I see your point Tim but I have to believe it's superior to one amp you own, no? Too big for home....huh? I find it has the perfect volume for home use as it performs fine at a lower volume. Even without seeing your amp collection, I'd have to think an Exec could replace something in it.

I don't mean to be a party poop but looking at the schematic these amps would seem to be almost exact copies of a deluxe reverb with bias vary tremelo. Yes? The EQ voicing is a bit different but otherwise the same and the power amp and PI are an exact copy. If you had any incarnation of the deluxe reverb amp you'd pretty well have one of these. I guess a 15" speaker and a funky cab would help. That partial blocking of the speaker for cosmetic reasons gives me the willies though.

I hadn't thought of it as an overgrown Deluxe...maybe. But the cab size, speaker, EQ voicing, and partial blocking are apparently magic, because I don't know anyone who's stood in the presence of one when it's doing what does who said, "Mmmm, sounds like a Deluxe."

Well, I mean, it sounds deluxe, certainly. But it has a whole enveloping and room-filling presence and detail that I don't hear from my pretty primo Deluxe - and I love my Deluxe.

And you know. When you say "EQ voicing," that's an awful big part of any amp's tonal enchilada.

Maybe I just haven't heard enough amps, but the Exec rocks my boat every time I hear one. Whatever it sounds like, that's how I'd like to sound.

A deluxe through a 15" speaker is still a deluxe, though it will undoubtedly sound different through a 15" speaker. I'm not talking about what it sounds like. I'm talking about the amps design.

If you look at the schematic the differences are pretty minor. I do make my own amps so I have some idea. The EQ wouldn't make it "all enveloping" , or "room filling" or any of the other ambiguous terms used by guitarists to describe various sonic experiences.

Seriously though, compare a deluxe reverb schematic and a modern executive schematic. Almost identical. The power amp and PI are identical ,the amp is basically a slightly modded Fender AB763 circuit. The biggest difference is the EQ and it's the same 3 band with a fixed mid like the deluxe, just different component values. Not a huge difference, maybe voiced for a 15" speaker.

Probably what people are hearing is the 15" speaker which, stock, is apparently an Eminence Legend which is a very efficient speaker like most Eminences (which is basically what is in the fender reissues). This will be a big loud 20 watt deluxe reverb.

The biggest single difference you can make in an amp's sound is put a different speaker in it. Whether size or type. 15's sound big and have substantial midrange which is where the guitar lives and what a lot of guitarist want to hear.

Anyway I'm talking about the schematic/circuit, which is what the amp is. I think a deluxe can be heavenly sounding through a JBL. My preference is the D123. The D130 is soooo heavy! If this thing sounds great with an Eminence, put a real JBL in it. whooee.

I’m not debating the identity of the circuit - as a builder, you know that better than I, and I acknowledge your expertise.

And of course I recognize what a difference speaker size, build, and efficiency make. Maybe the EQ changes are small and relatively insignificant.

But I do suggest that someone with either great ears, considerable expertise, and/or a lot of luck spec’ed the cab size (roomier and differently backed than my Delta Blues, frinstance), EQ, and speaker (and maybe even the speaker position, partial blockage included).

Because something does...

“make it "all enveloping" , or "room filling" or any of the other ambiguous terms used by guitarists to describe various sonic experiences.“

I know tonewords are all subjective (as is our experience of music, for that matter), but I’m not the only one who hears those properties, however described, when in the room with an Executive. There does seem to be a depth I can only describe as 3-dimensional in the way the amp presents itself - no doubt a function of the way sound coming off the front of the speaker mixes with what’s coming off the back after it’s reflected around inside that spacious cab, and then off other surfaces in the room. The sense of envelopment has more to do with the spread of the sound than with volume or sound pressure.

None of that is magic. It’s all physics - but it’s pretty complex physics. The amp is also exceptionally forgiving about placement - on a chair, on the floor, almost against a wall, further away. It’s not very picky about that. On a stage, 10 or 20 feet from a wall or out in the open, it becomes more direct and less bloomy. Still sounds great - but not as “enveloping.”

I’ve been interested in an Executive for years but have hesitated for several reasons such as hissing/popping comments and don’t really have the room for one. My assumption/hope is that my vintage Ampeg Gemini 2 is close enough. I don’t recall ever hearing a Peavey Delta Blues and would love to hear a comparison of all three. There’s just something about a 15 inch speaker.

Well, I mean, it sounds deluxe, certainly. But it has a whole enveloping and room-filling presence and detail that I don't hear from my pretty primo Deluxe..... Proteus

I owned my Executive for 3 years and agree with Tim's thought on room-filling presence and detail

I would compare its sound & tones with a Standel 25L15, which I've owned for 8 years. I had both amps in the house for several months so there was a LOT of "A/B" comparisons. The two amps were very close IMO. I finally sold the Executive because I could not justify owning two expensive amps that were so very similar.

I never heard any Deluxe Reverb in the Executive. The D.R. -- while a very nice amp -- is not in the same league as the Executive -- again, in my opinion and ears.

I'm pretty clueless about technical design, etc. I only care what an amp sounds like to my ears.

Sure, I'm not denying your experiences. We are talking apples and oranges, as I am talking about the actual circuit referenced from the engineers schematics for both amps.

I'm not referencing any subjective sonic experiences while playing. People can deny they are pretty well the same circuit but the schematic holds the truth. Look at the schematics.

Any theorizing about cabinets etc. is pure speculation. I'm betting the cabinet cutaway on the front is pure cosmetics, and it looks cool!

Anyway sorry for bringing it up and hijacking the thread. i just always thought it was remarkable how so many people can just copy a Fender design and market it. However Fender basically used lot's of pre-made designs from the RCA receiving tube Manual...and Jim Marshall copied the fender Bassman for his first amps so what the heck!

Oh and I think it was Billy Zoom who pointed out the similarities. In another thread on this amp he said with his usual brevity "It's a Deluxe Reverb" or something similar. I thought "what the heck?" and looked up the schematic and sure enough he was right!

"EQ voicing differences"

Well then it's NOT a Deluxe Reverb, is it? I mean, "EQ Voicing" is the amp's VOICE... so if it's "EQ Voiced" different than a DR, then it's DIFFERENT than a DR.

I mean, all the original Marshall was, was a Bassman with a 12AX7 in the preamp and a 12" speaker instead of 4x10s... both of which "re-voice" the amp... and while they can sound similar, they are not the same.

After buying a few pieces from a guitar store outside Toronto, I get a call from the owner telling me that he has received from the Fender rep, 3 new Execs, that are all new and he has pretty much pre sold them. I am one of three that he is offering them to. Went in the next day and after plugging it in with a 6122, bought it. Great art deco styling, 15' speaker, reverb/trem, tone. This was in 2013. I'm not a gigging musician, so it's in the same condition as when I bought it. After a thread form Paul Pigat concerning the reverb noise, I brought it to an amp tech to have it corrected. He makes his own line of amps and he advised me this is essentially a Custom Reverb reissue, which is inline with other comments. What he also said is that is built like a tank with excellent workmanship. From a collectibility standpoint, I would love the trifecta.

After buying a few pieces from a guitar store outside Toronto, I get a call from the owner telling me that he has received from the Fender rep, 3 new Execs, that are all new and he has pretty much pre sold them. I am one of three that he is offering them to. Went in the next day and after plugging it in with a 6122, bought it. Great art deco styling, 15' speaker, reverb/trem, tone. This was in 2013. I'm not a gigging musician, so it's in the same condition as when I bought it. After a thread form Paul Pigat concerning the reverb noise, I brought it to an amp tech to have it corrected. He makes his own line of amps and he advised me this is essentially a Custom Reverb reissue, which is inline with other comments. What he also said is that is built like a tank with excellent workmanship. From a collectibility standpoint, I would love the trifecta.

– Hogman

Let us know, with a pic, if you get the trifecta.

Your handle - Hogman - got me to wondering, growing up in Oakville and Burlington, how many others know the origin of the reference to 'Hog' in your name?

The Hogman handle comes from my in-laws as I rode a Harley Davidson for many years and I also was a member at various chapters of the Harley owners group, (HOG). Found a new home for it last spring. Still regret it.

The Hogman handle comes from my in-laws as I rode a Harley Davidson for many years and I also was a member at various chapters of the Harley owners group, (HOG). Found a new home for it last spring. Still regret it.

– Hogman

Sounds like you had a blast with that beast. I was thinking maybe it was a reference to the old, first derogatory then adopted nickname for Toronto - Hogtown - from it's time as a huge scale slaughterhouse area for, in particular, pigs.

FYI : https://www.blogto.com/city...

Human and chimp schematics are 98.6% the same.

https://www.amnh.org/exhibi...

– Proteus

Oh boy! How apt! A completely appropriate comparison

I have to say I totally regret having pointed out what I thought was an interesting fact.

Register Sign in to join the conversation