Gretsch Amps

PSA: Playboy (Victoria) on ebay…

If I had the cash I'd buy it myself, but I just spent my kitty on a new strat

Maybe someone here could buy it, that way when they decide they're done with it, I could have another chance at purchase

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12...

Darn I wish I could pull the trigger!

If anyone here decides to sell a Playboy (only the Playboy, because I have played one), please try to remember to message me !!!! It's one of my holy grail amps, and if I have access to funds at the time (or can swing it in any way), I will.

Real nice condition and a pretty good price for a boutique amp. A 'baby' Executive so it going to have very nice tone, especially for clean playing. And these just don't come along that often.

Dang you ruger9

Honestly, I'd ALMOST be willing to put this thing on credit. These come up so infrequently. But after the slow winter (work), it would be irresponsible of me to do so. Dang this morality thing!

Mine, mine, all mine, minemineminemine.

Ruger9, thank you for the heads up.

Dude! Congrats!

If you ever decide to sell it, I get first dibs! (I'm also a fellow Buckeye, born & raised, so you HAVE to give me first dibs!)

Joogoddit, maing! Still on the hunt for an Executive.

Congrats! Once you find an Exec, it will be nice to hear an A/b of the two. The Exec's Eminence 15" should give a 'fatter', more fill-the-room sound. We look forward to a report on this Playboy when it arrives.

Edit: I'd like to hear an A/B with a Playboy & DRRI. Anyone know of one? My money is on the Playboy, despite it's lower wattage.

Joogoddit, maing! Still on the hunt for an Executive.

– tubwompus

You might contact Victoria Amps. Mark Baier could probably make you one.

You might contact Victoria Amps. Mark Baier could probably make you one.

– Don Birchett

He can, but it won't LOOK like the Gretsch, it'll look like a tweed. Sound the same, but not as cool

• update- Delivered just a little while ago. Footswitch and dustcover included. Mint shape.

Just about to power her up....

No standby switch?????

Isn’t it hard on the tubes to slam them with full power straight outta the gate?

• update- Delivered just a little while ago. Footswitch and dustcover included. Mint shape.

No standby switch?????

Isn’t it hard on the tubes to slam them with full power straight outta the gate?

– tubwompus

Congrats. How does the Tremolo sound? I get a lot of noise when the tremolo is engaged on mine... enough to not use it. I'm not sure if its part of the charm of tube tremolo or mine has an issue since birth.

No standby switch?????

– tubwompus

Haven't seen one so I didn't know they didn't have one. The Exec does, and speaking of the devil, check Ric12string's latest thread about an Exec for sale in Sacramento. Great price!

Congrats. How does the Tremolo sound? I get a lot of noise when the tremolo is engaged on mine... enough to not use it. I'm not sure if its part of the charm of tube tremolo or mine has an issue since birth.

– Planet_of_the_Heapes

That's common on the Exec but easily fixable. When I get around to it, I'll take mine to Paul Pigat's amp tech here in Vancouver and have him do what Paul had done to fix it.

Windsordave........If you can pass along the fix for the tremolo issue when you have it I would appreciate it. I've been waiting for it to pop up on the forum. I have the reverb fixed but was advised that the term would cost a bunch

thanks

No standby switch?????

– tubwompus

Sammy, the "Yield" switch is the standby.

Understood, Bob. ‘Ceptin’ whilst the Exec has the aforementioned, the Playboy is conspicuously devoid. Looks like it’s like the old radios where you just switch ‘em on and wait for ‘em to warm up.

Ah, yes, I forgot that we were speaking of the Playboy in this thread. I just knew that you had picked up that Executive so that is what was on my mind.

How are you liking your Playboy?

Windsordave........If you can pass along the fix for the tremolo issue when you have it I would appreciate it. I've been waiting for it to pop up on the forum. I have the reverb fixed but was advised that the term would cost a bunch

thanks

– Hogman

Will do. BTW, what was the issue with the reverb? Haven't heard of that problem or it was brought up here awhile back and I forgot.

No standby switch?????

– tubwompus

No. You can turn it on just like any other electronic device. Standby switches are vestigial and unnecessary. Some manufacturers include them because, like you, many guitarists are used to having them.

If you'd like to read more: http://www.valvewizard.co.u...

Ah, yes, I forgot that we were speaking of the Playboy in this thread. I just knew that you had picked up that Executive so that is what was on my mind.

How are you liking your Playboy?

– Ric12string

Man, those things sound like fine crystal!

No. You can turn it on just like any other electronic device. Standby switches are vestigial and unnecessary. Some manufacturers include them because, like you, many guitarists are used to having them.

If you'd like to read more: http://www.valvewizard.co.u...

– Otter

Otter, thank you very much!

Will do. BTW, what was the issue with the reverb? Haven't heard of that problem or it was brought up here awhile back and I forgot.

– Windsordave

Dave, can you also please send the tremolo fix to me? Thanks.

Register Sign in to join the conversation