Gretsch Amps

PSA: Gretsch Executive Amplifier (Victoria) on Nearby Craigslist

No affiliation with seller, no financial interest in sale.

A Gretsch Executive amplifier has come up on Craigslist only about an hour's distance from my home. It appears to have had two owners and is reported to be in "excellent condition."

Gretsch Executive Amplifier on Craigslist

That's a great price and the original speaker that will be put back in is certainly no downgrade from even a JBL D130!

Why don't you buy it and keep it till prices go up, Bob. I know you have one but at that price it could be a decent investment. Maybe advertise it later in SF as well as Sacremento where you'd get a good price. All of this is assuming someone around here doesn't grab it.

Tubwompus, who just picked up that Playboy said he's looking for one of these and at the price, could afford the added shipping if the seller is willing to ship it.

IMO the Executive is the best of the best in the Gretsch/Victoria line. More oomph than a Playboy, much lighter (and slightly more mojo) than the Variety. If they would bring back only one amp, it should be this one.

I have one coming on Saturday or I’d be all over it. Some GDP’er needs to snag that badboy.

Bob, think how good it would sound in Stereo with the one you already have.

Yes buy it Bob. Or take a look at the PM I sent you.

Generally speaking, all I offer is that Gretsch (Victoria) amps don't come up for sale too often so if you can pick one up in good shape for a good price it may be good investment as well as being an addition you tour "tone" collection to enjoy. I bought a "new" 08 Exec in 2013 which was one of 3 delivered to a local dealer and have had a few offers since. Could have sold but......as Windsordave says, good investment.

Will they achive the demand or value like Dumbles no. But with all the gear that's out there now it maybe worth it for down the road.

Interesting comment by the seller that the amp sounds BETTER with the Eminence Legend than with the JBL D-130. I actually had the exact same experience.

I had a JBL D-130 in its own cabinet which I jumpered via speaker cable to my Executive. I did NOT like the sound/tone as much as the stock Legend. It came across a bit too ice-picky. So I did not do a swap.

Generally speaking, all I offer is that Gretsch (Victoria) amps don't come up for sale too often so if you can pick one up in good shape for a good price it may be good investment as well as being an addition you tour "tone" collection to enjoy. I bought a "new" 08 Exec in 2013 which was one of 3 delivered to a local dealer and have had a few offers since. Could have sold but......as Windsordave says, good investment.

Will they achive the demand or value like Dumbles no. But with all the gear that's out there now it maybe worth it for down the road.

– Hogman

I have the one Bob kept. (wink) just had to buy a cover as the shipment only came with two.

For clean playing....and especially with a Gretsch, the Eminence 15" gives a sweet tone!

Hope someone in this 'family' picks this up; they won't be disappointed in the sound. And just for the record, it has 22 watts output not 20.

Interesting comment by the seller that the amp sounds BETTER with the Eminence Legend than with the JBL D-130. I actually had the exact same experience.

I had a JBL D-130 in its own cabinet which I jumpered via speaker cable to my Executive. I did NOT like the sound/tone as much as the stock Legend. It came across a bit too ice-picky. So I did not do a swap.

– senojnad

The only Executive that I have much experience with is the one I bought second hand. It already had a D-130 in it. If the original sounds better than that then it is one heckova speaker because what I have sounds incredible to me. I realize that my 67 year old ears do have hearing loss particularly in the 2500 hz range but it is comparing to the other amps/speakers that I have.

It would very interesting Don, to have two Exec's side by side; one with the original Eminence speaker and the other with the D130F. An extra bonus would be have them at a roundup so the A/B would get the opinions of many fine pickers and with several different types of guitars.

Maybe one of these years I will drive to the Norcal Roundup instead of fly and I can bring it. Then Bob can bring his again and have a shoot out. I think if I was going to (perish the thought) change the speaker, I would look for a neo 15 to save on the weight. These are definitely heavy amps and the JBL added at least an additional 10 lbs. I think that I looked it up and the stock speakers were 12 lbs and the JBL was 22.

There was a post on the thread about the Playboy that was about the Executive that may be difficult to find later so I am copying it here for future reference:

GaryE 2 days ago

Dave, can you also please send the tremolo fix to me? Thanks. – Ric12string

Hey guys . I’m the tech that Paul had his Gretsch modded.Here’s what I have done to Fender amps and the Executive. As for the Reverb,it was a hum issue, it was just a matter of moving a ground wire on the foot switch jack I believe. It has been a while ! There's a Fender service bulletin on this from way back.

The official Fender solution (Service Bulletin number 9) "The ticking caused by the Vibrato is caused by improper lead dress.

It can almost be "cured" by connecting a .01 mfd 600 volt mylar capacitor on the 10 meg ohm resistor in the vibrato circuit. this resistor is located on the parts panel. Remove capacitor across the 10 meg ohm resistor (old modification) if in place."

(That is, run the cap from the junction of the 10 meg resistor and the optoisolator to ground.)

"If this does not produce the desired results, then the leads should be dressed as follows and excessive lengths shortened.

Dress the leads to the vibrato speed and intensity controls away from the tone controls and filter leads. "Bunch" the leads to the components on the parts panel which connect to the tube socket of the 7025 (12AX7) vibrato tube.

The fix Ric12string is interested in is not the ticking trem, but the pop that occurs when you use the foot switch to engage the trem while the reverb is on.

I have had a round of frustration with a footswitch, the issue goes back to the early BlackFace circuits if I recall correctly.

The first rule is to turn off Reverb before turning off Trem. Practice that until you do it without thinking...

Where the grounds go can negate a lot of the Pop, there will always be something. I moved mine a couple times.

Joe has the phone number of a guy who can tell how to fix the mistake in the reverb pedal wire and the trem bobbing sound. I lost the number. Would like to have it again or even better an email address. BZ says the Exec has a bass cut. I'd like to add a switch to make that optional. But I don't know where the bass cut hides.

What is the "mistake in the reverb pedal wire?" That is one that I haven't heard of.

When I repaired Paul Pigat’s amp I moved the ground wire on the Reverb footswitch which seemed to help. I think I made the wire routing like an original Fender blackface layout.Unfortunately that was dozens of amp repairs ago and my aging brain is not good at recalling what exactly it was...

As I recall, the Footswitch ground on my CVR is based on early BlackFace, as are many boutique Combo Amps, and comes off the Reverb potentiometer circuit. Hence, from my observation, if you had Reverb low, less Pop if you didn't do the toe tap dance correctly with the Trem. If Reverb is dialed higher, then the Pop is louder.

If you do the dance, always switching Reverb off before the Trem, is the best scenario throughout.

Now, when moving that ground around, "Off the Reverb" circuit to another possibility, you can eliminate the "dial higher-louder Pop" condition. The Pop will be the same regardless of how much Reverb, but still there. Depending on how fortunate you are finding a better spot, it can be much better, barely noticeable.

"But", not as good as doing the correct toe tap dance... whenever you have Reverb On, then add Trem, you must cycle the Reverb off, then Trem off, then put Reverb back on if that is what you desire.

Register Sign in to join the conversation