Gretsch Amps

PSA Executive on the ‘Verb

Used Gretsch G6163 Executive Combo Amp

Dunno why I can’t attach the link, sorry for that.

No dog in this fight, just giving a heads up...

After all that, the least I could do is post a pic... Once again, amp has nothing to do with me.

Seller says:

The original grille cloth is under a cheetah print grille cloth that was professionally installed, and matches that Gretsch vibe perfectly!

Uh...no.

Seller says:

The original grille cloth is under a cheetah print grille cloth that was professionally installed, and matches that Gretsch vibe perfectly!

Uh...no.

– Proteus

you dont like anything that looks rockabilly or cowboy do you? I love this pimp machine.

Cheetah print isn’t Art Deco!

Wow--that's cool!

I'd love to have that!

K

you dont like anything that looks rockabilly or cowboy do you?

I don’t think I’m that categorical and doctrinaire about it. I think I make aesthetic judgments on a more individual basis, artifact by artifact.

In this case, I’m not sure the colors match between the tolex and the leopard skin. If the amp was black and the skin more vivid, it might work (though I still wouldn’t prefer it over the original scheme). This print looks washed-out, faded, not vivid. Like it just molted off a very old and tired animal. Like a Flinstones frock in a washed-out color print. And it doesn’t look well-installed either.

While I can imagine the motif suggested in the lines of the amp (with the angled speaker cutout and piping) working with good leopard-skin - like as a theme in the decor of a mid-century cocktail lounge - in this case I just see an elegant design cartoonerized.

Ain’t diggin’ it. It’s hard to beat the original grillecloth on the Victoria Gretsch amps.

I like Rochabillycowboy stuff if it’s done well. This is just ugly. The design of the amp is Art Deco which doesn’t exactly call for a faded, gray leopard fur like tiki-billy does.

yup that horrible cloth needs to go. It is ugly and offensive

– Steve

I don't see what's "rockabilly" about it either?

It's just plain fugly. Is it me or are the screws missing? Looks like just the grommets are there. Maybe they just glued the front face when they installed that stupid cloth.

– Steve

No but the cabinet design is.

It doesn't offend me too much -- but just proves that just because you think something is cool doesn't mean anyone else will. I've had tons of demented projects I thought would rock the world but no one gave a damn.. no biggie, really.

Oh, I'm not offended. It's his amp, and apparently the original cloth is still there, so it can be undone. I'm just not on board with his aesthetic choice. Like, at all.

Back in the day I had a road weary circa 1964 Ampeg B-15NC. The grille cloth on it was totally shot. So, it being ~1972, I replaced it with Tie-Dyed Silk like all the T-shirts going round.

About 10 years ago I saw the Amp for sale on Gruhn's website...grille cloth intact....35+ years later.

I laughed for about 10 minutes, then gave them a call to confirm.

Cheetah grille cloth might be a step up...

I had a very second-third-fourth-hand Silvertone 1-12 combo back in the same day. Came with shredded grillecloth and busted power switch. Somehow I replaced the power switch with the ignition switch from a junkyard car, complete with key - I remember hole-sawing the cabinet to install it on the side, with particle board chips flying everywhere.

I replaced the cloth with a burlap Landmark feed sack.

Oddly, that's all I remember about the amp. Not how it sounded, what I used it for, or when it went away.

Why would someone cover the original cloth rather than replace? Would this muffle the sound a bit?

Tim, I’d love to have that Silvertone amp as a centerpiece in my studio and on business cards. That’s a flannel shirt waiting to happen. I can look out my backdoor across I-70 and see Landmark’s old grain elevator.

No biggie! Worth picking up and changing out. Still a great amp.

Register Sign in to join the conversation