Gretsch Amps

NAD!! Gretsch limited ed. 125th anniversary G6164 Variety by Victoria

Only 25 of these were made and I'm gonna try to found who else has one, now that I am the happy owner of one! I've been GAS'n for one since I saw pics posted at that early Nashville Roundup!

Walter Broes told me this is Marks "Golden E-Harmony" amp, (JK its Golden Melody) and Mark sez that its a tweed bassman front end, with a brownface trem and blackface verb and power section?

Although the Golden Harmony is 50watts and the label on this amp sez its 40watts? I'd love more info if you have it, and its 3 mint Jensen P10R speakers are officially for sale cuz I cant stand reissue jensens. Its gonna get Tone Tubby alnico reds. I need to coax some more mids richness out of it as my ears are very used to blonde bassmans and gibson eh185s :)

oh and getting braggy (let me be excited haha)This amp went on tour around the globular with the Straycat's reunion as Buzz Campbell's amp for his opening band; Hot Rod Lincoln. This is pretty groovy.

That'll be the most expensive speaker'd amp ever! lol

I just put a Tone Tubby Red 12" in my Fender Two-Tone and really like it. Somebody gave it to me because they wanted a reissue Jensen installed in their amp instead. True story.

This amp is real sharp and it's pedigree is groovy as hell!

Congrats!

"Golden Melody" Tavo, and you forgot an e in my name.

The wattage difference (inasfar as it's correct and means anything) might be this : from what I've heard/read, the FMIC/VIctoria/Gretsch amps were really all Victoria except for the transformers that Fender supposedly supplied. that might explain that. (?)

That'll be the most expensive speaker'd amp ever! lol

I just put a Tone Tubby Red 12" in my Fender Two-Tone and really like it. Somebody gave it to me because they wanted a reissue Jensen installed in their amp instead. True story.

– JBGretschGuy

I'm a dealer so I save a bit, not much but why have a hand made boutique american amp by Victoria and a nice Gretsch guitar w tvjones pickups just to put low end econo reissue speakers as its mouth piece, is how I see it. There is the paradigm though that I dont really get the warm fuzzies for blackface amps. Even with tweeds, the treble is painful. I might be 50 but I still have my full range of hearing.

Oh, and like I said on fb - three 100dB speakers, really? That's going to be one loud amp - too loud to realistically get amp breakup at club levels without pedals or a power soak.

Oh, and like I said on fb - three 100dB speakers, really? That's going to be one loud amp - too loud to realistically get amp breakup at club levels without pedals or a power soak.

– WB

your forget I use an atomic brain, its makes my 50 watt blonde bassmans with dual Vintage 30s break up at 2 on the amp volume just like Setzers Re301 makes his amps break up like a marshall on 4, again with dual vintage 30s rated at 65watts each, heavy doping. The hemp cone red alnicos are seriously the sh$t my brother.

ps sorry for the E not being there xoxo

Hm...so you're kind of turning it into a master volume amp, giving it a bunch of preamp gain. Whatever works, I prefer to plug in and turn up the amp. I have a bunch of amps with 10" speakers and twin 6L6's, and I like the lower wattage/sensitivity speakers so I can turn the amp up. Also, I don't like all the extra bass and lower mids from larger magnet/voice coil speakers with a hollowbody. IMO, YMMV, etc...

cool lookin amp!..does it have the harmonic trem like the golden melody?..my fave vintage fender trem...

if it only had a 15"!! haha

nice! enjoy

cheers

Super, Ultra, Triple COOL! With whatever speakers. You are Waaayy too fortunate Tavo!

Hm...so you're kind of turning it into a master volume amp, giving it a bunch of preamp gain. Whatever works, I prefer to plug in and turn up the amp. I have a bunch of amps with 10" speakers and twin 6L6's, and I like the lower wattage/sensitivity speakers so I can turn the amp up. Also, I don't like all the extra bass and lower mids from larger magnet/voice coil speakers with a hollowbody. IMO, YMMV, etc...

– WB

No way like a master volume amp.. Would you say when you go into the studio and you plug in your favorite microphone into a good tube microphone preamplifier (lets use the Empirical labs distressor for example, or Universal Audio LA-610), its automatically going to turn the board into a master volume amp?Being silly but a good tube amplifier response dynamically to the instrument plugging into it. Its coloration, its output,etc.. So putting a quality and light colored preamp in front of a given amp can allow it to present a much bigger fuller sonic spread at a drastically lower volume. This is why I came up with my preamps, I have to play at the point where a tube amp begins to move the speaker which is small club but I hate where the amp and guitar sit in that no where zone. Put the good preamp infront and the amp comes alive. I'm doing the same right now w a new preamp into my EH-185 amps. The regular channel is really low output and sort of bland until you crank it all the way up, at that point the amp is overdriving with very little headroom. Put this Jr Barnyard preamp in front and you get the sounds of the amp and the guitar with a full and loud response with the regular channel of the EH185 at like 4 on the dial.

I'm not an EE so I cant explain it very well but damn if it doesn work perfectly for guys that arent trying to live out spinal tap dreams:)I cant go to 11 or they'll fire me. OR worse.. play acoustic

Nice score - congratulations! You should get one of those White Falcon Billy Bo guitars to go along with it. You're already a sharp dressed man, at least on stage. :)

My back asks " Is that an amp or new vintage living room furniture? " Thank God it comes with built in dolly wheels.

Nice!!! I always thought these Anni. amps were downright sexy...if that term can actually be applied for a guitar amp ,along with the others Victoria built and I wish Gretsch would do some more.

Sweet.....must sound spectacular. Surprising how many people have real nice guitars and go cheap on their amp. Never realized how much I was missing until I invested in a top flight amp.

Mind you, Gretsch is working on a new amp series. The project is nowhere near completion as it is a somewhat lower priority, at the moment, than building guitars. Also, they are not interested in taking an existing Fender amplifier, putting some western doodads on it, and calling it a Gretsch amp. No, they are desirous of creating a new amplifier with its own unique and distinctive voice.

Mind you, Gretsch is working on a new amp series. The project is nowhere near completion as it is a somewhat lower priority, at the moment, than building guitars. Also, they are not interested in taking an existing Fender amplifier, putting some western doodads on it, and calling it a Gretsch amp. No, they are desirous of creating a new amplifier with its own unique and distinctive voice.

– Ric12string

Bob... loose lips sink ships...

Not at all, Rob. I reported on this very information at the NAMM Show in January with the blessing of those that be.

– Ric12string

Cool !!! This is great news,it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

Couldnt be happening, they havent contacted me yet! I have my thumb on the pulse of the youth and the Defibrillator on the chest of the saints!

old thread that somehow kicked off the cool picks of this limited edition Gretsch Variety amp by Victoria.. makes me mad that so much rich history is gone from this place. So.. I'm gonna drag some pics back on here so it gets crawled again. Thanks Rick12 for reminding me of that great amp I had.

Nice to see this thread I'v never seen before, about an amp I don't play enough (I have the standard Gretsch Variety without white 125th Anniversary bling).

Now I'm thinking I should put different speakers in it, and embrace the Variety in all it's Gretsch/Victoria glory.

Just curious RR, what wasn't your Variety not giving you that you put it aside?

Register Sign in to join the conversation