Gretsch Amps

NAD Executive has arrived.

Exec on the left, of course.

Next to the Playboy, thanks to Ruger 9’s PSA.

And with that, I’m DONE!

Famous last words.

Famous last words.

– Powdog

Lmao!

Really am, though. Nothing else I want, except to sound better through ‘em.

What are you going to play through them....to give us my requested/awaited A/B?

I do notice something, neither here nor there really, with your Exec. It has screws on the front that are not present on the Playboy......and not on my Exec. Wonder why?

What say you others with one of these amps?

What are you going to play through them....to give us my requested/awaited A/B?

I do notice something, neither here nor there really, with your Exec. It has screws on the front that are not present on the Playboy......and not on my Exec. Wonder why?

What say you others with one of these amps?

– Windsordave

I noticed the screws too! I held my breath and googled up some images. There are pics with screws and pics without.

To A/B them, I’ve been playing, “All Smiles” by Utopia so far, but only on my Peerless kinda-sorta ES-5 knockoff, just coz it was still in a stand when I was recording earlier.

Time to uncase the Gent.

My Executive has the screws showing as well. Dave, maybe you have the "set in" model.

As an expert cabinetmaker, I always wondered why Mark Baier allowed the use of visible screws on these amps. Lots of ways to hide them.

With or without, really beautiful amps.

I didn't know till I saw this tubwompus just received, that there were some of these even had screws! Not a real big deal but certainly not the look I'd think you'd want for a boutique amp. To me it's akin to some Gretsch acoustics that have the pickguard screwed down when the common practice is to glue them so screws don't show. But I agree, with or without they're a hell of great amp!

I guess my amp drew the long straw Don!

TW, now you need to find a Variety so that you can have the trifecta!

TW, now you need to find a Variety so that you can have the trifecta!

– Don Birchett

There are 2 Variety’s on Reverb right now. Personally, I’ve reached total saturation in the amp dept., so I hope the Variety’s go to loving homes.

lovely stuff!!! lets swap out those speakers immediately now :)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Why? What would be better for clean playing? From what I read, generally these amps are usually used for a non-distorted sound and the Eminence Legend suits that, no?

Windsordave, if you haven't figured Tavo out by now, then let me break the code for you.

No, I haven't figured him out completely. I was just wondering about alternate speakers

No, I haven't figured him out completely. I was just wondering about alternate speakers

– Windsordave

He will steer you properly to fine substitute speakers. But, he just likes to stir the pot while doing it.

That part I understand. I know one member here has an Exec with a JBL D130F installed and in another thread someone mentioned in passing that of today's offerings, Webber makes a 15" closest to the JBL. I'm not about to change out mine, though. My D130 is reserved for going with the Bandmaster Reverb.

Windsordave, if you haven't figured Tavo out by now, then let me break the code for you.

– Ric12string

I'm not stirring any pot Mr. cranky.. I've owned several Gretsch amps and I find the stock speakers to be horribly sterile for such a beautifully built amp.

I put Tonetubby Humboldt hempcones in my Gretsch Variety and a very tweedy nature began to speak.

Humboldt Hempcones?? Endorsed by hippies and Rastafarians, no doubt!

(Tone Tubby's endorsees include Carlos Santana, Derek Trucks, Steve Kimock and Steve Morse, so yeah.)

Why? What would be better for clean playing? From what I read, generally these amps are usually used for a non-distorted sound and the Eminence Legend suits that, no?

– Windsordave

We want clean from these amps yes, but we want the tactile joy or the textures to dynamically reach out from our fingers through the guitar to the amp. Speakers are a HUGE factor for the voice of the amp and too often builders end up cost cutting at the speakers, because the really nice ones are not cheap even at wholesale prices. Eminence makes quality speakers no doubt and I'd take them any day over jensens but the speakers in these gretsch amps are strident. A better solution is Weber if price weighs into the choice. So thats why I said what I did because it was worth saying

Humboldt Hempcones?? Endorsed by hippies and Rastafarians, no doubt!

(Tone Tubby's endorsees include Carlos Santana, Derek Trucks, Steve Kimock and Steve Morse, so yeah.)

– Parabar

Youre thinking of the founder.. He's no longer on earth. New direction but hemp cones are wonderful for inherently bright circuits and unbelievable for fingerpickers. I'm using the Tonetubby Nashville alnico hemp cone 12" in my Raygun'59 amp. It's a mashup of a vox ac30 w a tweed deluxe..quite bright! I've tried Weber silverbell, Scumback Scumnico, even had Jupiter Condenser make me a custom speaker using a Vox cone w a chicago frame/coil.. all tooo bright but the hemp cone alnico was the ticket!

ps. you and tim are my favorite hippies, next to my wife.

I'm not stirring any pot Mr. cranky.. I've owned several Gretsch amps and I find the stock speakers to be horribly sterile for such a beautifully built amp.

I put Tonetubby Humboldt hempcones in my Gretsch Variety and a very tweedy nature began to speak.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

So is that an amp, or a coffee table?

I endorse hemp.

But I thought Steve Morse was free of artificial natural ingredients.

Register Sign in to join the conversation