Gretsch Amps

I am on pins and needles

Hey yall, I feller here at work sez he found an amp up in his attic and he wants to give it to me. He says it has two 12 inch speakers and is old. He said he thinks the name starts with a Q.......................... 8-o Are you thinkin what I am thinkin???? How about that long tailed G on an old Gretsch amp???!!! I think I might be getting a dream present for Christmas,,,Waddjathink!!! ;-)

This kinda looks like a Q...

Q ... let us know ,when you find out , even in the old days there were many makes of amps out there .

Quackenbush Duo-Echo, I'll bet.

They had a lot of mojo but they didn't sound good. The speakers were made from marijuana plants and chassis parts were scavenged from Dynaflow transmissions until they ran out of old Buicks. And then quality took a real. nosedive.

Biggest problem: grill cloth tended to catch fire when playing double-stops on the high E and B strings.

At 126 pounds, they weighed as much as a girlfriend but were notably less enjoyable to pick up. To compensate, they had excellent casters -- highly sought-after nowadays.

Less than a hundred were ever made, and just over a hundred are known to still exist.

Most famously used on Bachman Driver Overturn's last record, You Ain't Seen Muffin Yet.

Standels were better amps.

Paul/FF909

PS: OK, so I'm in a goofy mood... :P :D I hope there's a real prize awaiting you, Bobcat!

Most famously used on Bachman Driver Overturn's last record, You Ain't Seen Muffin Yet.

I've seen a few in my day... 8-o

This had me bustin' out laughing! 8-):D :D :P

They had a lot of mojo but they didn't sound good. The speakers were made from marijuana plants and chassis parts were scavenged from Dynaflow transmissions until they ran out of old Buicks. And then quality took a real. nosedive.

Biggest problem: grill cloth tended to catch fire when playing double-stops on the high E and B strings.

At 126 pounds, they weighed as much as a girlfriend but were notably less enjoyable to pick up. To compensate, they had excellent casters -- highly sought-after nowadays.

Less than a hundred were ever made, and just over a hundred are known to still exist.

Paul/FF909

PS: OK, so I'm in a goofy mood... :P :D I hope there's a real prize awaiting you, Bobcat!

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Classic stuff!

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

I'm still wishing this was real.:D :D :D :D :D

F F did you smoke your amp? Busted out laughing. Good one.

That's funny, Paul. Let us know what ya get, Bobcat.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Thanks, FF!!! Great work by you!!!!!

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

I want whatever Paul's taking. That is classic, Paul. It literally made me laugh out loud.

Bobcat -- Here are a couple of "Qretsch" 2x12 amps from the early '60's.... Any one of these would be a true treasure to own.....

oooh we need pics...inside and out... A lady I did some work for many years ago said..."Do you like Fender"? Reach back in that closet....behind some stuff...If you like it...it's YOURS.

It was a 1953 Fender Deluxe Tweed! She was the second owner, hadn't been fired up since 1966....

I put a fuse in her...and she was great!... I recapped her, new resistors...and bought a road case for her... I recorded with her once... 12 tracks...awesome!

I hope your FIND is a great one like mine was....

He sez he is bringing it in tomorrow! He furgotted it tday! Ugh I am dyin here! That was funny Freq! It sounded like you were describing my old Fender Super Six!! What a gut buster that was!!!

My buddy in jr. high had a Gretsch Fury. That was a great amp!

FF you crack me up!

He said it is black with the knobs in the top in a cutout near the back, He says he is bringing it in today!!! Here come da Quackenbush!!!

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

I've try to find it on google no pictures ?

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

I've try to find it on google no pictures ?

He sez he is bringing it in tomorrow! He furgotted it tday! Ugh I am dyin here! That was funny Freq! It sounded like you were describing my old Fender Super Six!! What a gut buster that was!!!

– bobcat

– bobcat

well, Bob, did he bring it today ? you done got me curious now. :D

really!! I am really hoping it is really something really very special!!!!! Really!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Laughing my ass off!

Thats brillant :D

UGH, well it is NOT a Gretsch or a Gibson it's a Qauntum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah that's right. It is a crap amp! I cannot believe how weak it is! Big and heavy ugly and weak!

Register Sign in to join the conversation