Gretsch Amps

Gretsch Variety 6164

I have a friend who purchased a Gretsch Variety amp model 6164 around 1968. She currently found the amp in her storage unit and I was wondering what the value of the thing is? I have tried to find some information on the internet but have not found info on this exact model. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Well pix always help. Condition is everything. Very few of the Supro made amps, (except for the Round Up /Western motif ones) bring over $1000/1200 on the very outside. Just saw one online called a Variety Plus and that was one of the larger Supro ones, but that design I saw ended around 1966. So depends on whether it was bought new or used.

But all the Supro made Gretsch amps when restored sound good! They were into some solid state by '68 and so those may have less appeal.

Thanks so much for the reply! I will try to get pics up soon.

I have a friend who purchased a Gretsch Variety amp model 6164 around 1968. She currently found the amp in her storage unit and I was wondering what the value of the thing is? I have tried to find some information on the internet but have not found info on this exact model. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

– Mimi_Girl

Here's the Blue Book info.

I say that blue book is low if it's clean

I say that blue book is low if it's clean

– DCBirdMan

I'm seeing these 6164's for over $1,000 these days. I was lucky enough to play on one at a local shop (they were asking $1,500) and was floored by it. Was amazed at how they have that exact sound that Jimmy Page got on Led Zep I & II when I was playing it at full throttle. I can't even imagine someone selling one of them for as cheap as what the book has them at.

it would be at my house right now if I could have only afforded it.

I agree completely, the book is way low.

Thank you for sharing this great post, I am very impressed with your post, the information given is meticulous and easy to understand. I will often follow your next post. bmi calculator

My Vintage Guitar Mag Price guide from 2019 has is for $1000 in "high" condition. I would think it would appreciate slightly over a couple of years.

Register Sign in to join the conversation