Gretsch Amps

Gretsch “Super Bass 6157” circa 1967

The "spaghetti" is less than I would have expected.

Component datecodes are 1966 and 1967.

Transformers could use heavier tie-down straps, ... signs of past movement from shock and transport.

A pair of Heavy Duty Jensen C12N OEM-ed to Valco...

I received my order of 1/2" Acoustic Foam, half the old batting is missing and the rest shall be replaced.

I don't know that the original damping material is missing. As it only needs three sides of the box covered, it's likely that they only did the minimum. Adding more can only help. Amp looks surprisingly good for its age.

When you read this Advert it highlights the proprietary "Hi-Fi" method for making a better sounding enclosure...

The center panel is shorter than the sides, batting only on back and one side. Could be a "field modification"... Ha!

However, whatever, the left speaker was somewhat louder than the right. Knowing the plan for the original circuit, the design is two equal 35W amps driving separately two equal 12" speakers...

My thought was the left side of the enclosure is resonating more sans batting...

As mentioned on an earlier thread, the schematic could be substantially more complicated.

It made me more comfortable given the 50+ year age that it could be refurbed either back to original, or onto a dueling pair of Supro Thunderbolts.

Next round of looking at the "spaghetti" suggests the two separate 35W circuits have been combined...

Output Trannies now in parallel and Stereo Output Jack mangled and jumpered a bit to be Mono.

"However, whatever, the left speaker was somewhat louder than the right."

Maybe the mystery lies with that 'wire to nowhere'?

There will be more surprises...

But, this First Round is the Fact Finding and obvious needs oriented....hopefully put back to original intent. A ready and able "Super Bass".

The Next Round will be for grooming the innerds for Sound and Tone!

And Tavo's Mystery Brain....it's a rather plain Amp in and of itself.

Register Sign in to join the conversation