Gretsch Amps

Gretsch Safari find

I recently acquired this little gem. Unfortunately I know very little about it. Outside of it has 2 8 inch speakers and will work on ac or DC power. I would like some info on power output & who actually made this amp. Maybe the years made also. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Cool find. We need a definitive Gretsch amp resource.

'60s transistor amp. It's main selling point is that it can be battery operated, so, it's eminently portable.

It was ahead of its time. I am guessing Supro made it since they made amps for Gretsch until they folded in the late 60s.. and they were experimenting w/ solid state in the mid 60s like other companies -- but I only think solid state Supro stuff bearing the Supro name was 1968, not earlier. Maybe Supro lasted unitil 1970 but then Kustom who was a big deal then started making Gretsch amps thru the 70s.

Ah, you snagged it. I was very tempted. There was another of these, I think called a Gadabout (?) that came with a sort of vibrato control. I don't know if they appeared in any catalogs, but I think mid/late '60's. National/Valco/Supro made the Gretsch amps through the sixties; not sure after that.

Definitely was Kustom after Supro, for at least some of 70s Gretsch amps.

I've run across one Safari, and the styling and cabinet build seemed very mid-sixties, but they don't show up in our catalog section. Dan Duffy writes in his book about Gretsch experimenting with solid state which would have happened before 1970.

I do know the gadabout was smaller with just one speaker & volume control only. The "magic echo" on the safari has a "speed control" adjustment. It is very crude type of echo.

I've run across one Safari, and the styling and cabinet build seemed very mid-sixties, but they don't show up in our catalog section. Dan Duffy writes in his book about Gretsch experimenting with solid state which would have happened before 1970.

– lx

Well I think Supro may have had a few solid state models by 1967

Register Sign in to join the conversation