Gretsch Amps

Gretsch g5222 celestion mod

I hot-rodded a Champ 600 (same amp) a few years ago and gave it to a local kid. I'll see if he still has it and make a cab to fit it into.

I hot-rodded a Champ 600 (same amp) a few years ago and gave it to a local kid. I'll see if he still has it and make a cab to fit it into.

– Powdog

Awesome, I wanted to use the gretsch for an upcoming recording session I have next month that's why I upgraded to the 8 inch but was worried it would not sound full enough compared to a bigger speaker so this is something I'm interested in and happy to pay for if the price is right!

So here is the Champ 600 I goosed up. New baffle, grillcloth and a Weber alnico speaker.

Pulled out the PCB and build a 5F1 circuit, along with new jacks, pots and switches.

Also replaced the OT with a unit from MOJO.

So here is the Champ 600 I goosed up. New baffle, grillcloth and a Weber alnico speaker.

– Powdog

Looking good, what size is the speaker?

It's a 6" Weber. I got this back so I can fit the chassis into a bigger cabinet. This way, the G5222 chassis will slide right out of the old cab and into the new one.

New cab glue-up with a 10" in there for scale.

Pulled out the PCB and build a 5F1 circuit, along with new jacks, pots and switches.

– Powdog

Whats an 5F1 circuit and what advantage is it over stock??

5F1 is the circuit used in the '50s original Champs. Basically, it's a new old amp.

Yes, early Champ circuit. Very minimalist compared to the new G5222 circuit, which has a full tone stack (albeit no treble/mid/bass controls). This means more of the signal reaches the speaker before being sucked to ground. For those who believe that sometimes less is more.

Fitting the chassis

Ready for some tweed.

That cab is looking pretty good . Now you got me thinking.....

Does it ever look good! Nice job Powdog. Makes me want to do the same to my Champ 600.

This is the look I was going for (currently on eBay for $1500).

Wow! That looks really good. I'm really tempted to try that myself, but I always hate doing amp cabs. You've at least got the wheels in my head spinning. Beautiful work.

WoW!!! Well done!!! I have to steal this some time.

Register Sign in to join the conversation