Gretsch Amps

Gretsch Executive

I purchased an Executive amp new and I did not pay $3,000. I have never heard of anyone paying that much for one of these amps. Although Proteus would have to pay me at least that amount to pry one from my hands. Maybe double or triple that amount even.

As for badging an existing Fender amp, there wouldn't be much purpose in doing that if you can already buy a Fender amp with the same circuitry. If Gretsch is going to go to the trouble of bringing an amplifier to market, they want it to be something of their own design and something that they believe will best create the sound that is identified with these guitars. I have inquired at NAMM Shows on multiple occasions about new amplifiers and have been assured that they want something unique to Gretsch if they are going to get back into the amp business.

– Ric12string

My point is that these amps were quality built and not inexpensive. The suggested retail for my 2008 Exec was $3,650 as per the Gretsch price list for 2008 referenced on this site under the history tab. Street price is another story however, but to me, "back in the day" eleven years ago, they were considered premium. Just say'n .

A while back, Mark was selling the Executive chassis on Reverb with no cabinet (for the DIY'er).

Reverb link.

This is one of the coolest looking Gretsch amps ever. I’d love to see them revisit this design.

– Powdog

Hear, Hear! The coolest looking amp ever. And IIRC Gretsch has already sourced the "silver thread" covering and is using it on a new guitar case. Orient the control labeling to the front, make the design available in a range of sizes/features and they'd sell!

Hear, Hear! The coolest looking amp ever. And IIRC Gretsch has already sourced the "silver thread" covering and is using it on a new guitar case. Orient the control labeling to the front, make the design available in a range of sizes/features and they'd sell!

– lx

Man, what I wouldn’t give to get my hands on a few yards of that stuff.

Mark Baier said he'd make another Executive if I (or presumably, anybody else) wanted him to, it just wouldn't say Gretsch on it. But since I now have another of Mark's amps, and one of Powdog's (well, technically, two, but one is technically my wife's), I could want for nothing more in the land of tube amplification.

I would second the motion with Senojnad that Gretsch should introduce an amp along the lines of a Standel 25L15. I have an exact clone of a 1954 25L15 as does Richard Hudson and with a Gretsch guitar it is an unbelievable combo! Only 25 watts, no reverb, no tremolo, just pure ol' Gretsch tone! You almost have to hear one first hand. And with mass production (hopefully not too "mass") they could keep the cost down and be more affordable. It would be important to keep it original as possible and not "Fenderish" or any other amp. These amps are very unique and that is what makes them so special. Maybe someone here that is close to JoeC could put a bug in his ear! I do believe this to be a golden opportunity marketing-wise to really shine for Gretsch. And you don't have to be a Chet fan to appreciate this one-of-a-kind amp. There are a few of us lucky ones who have heard the "golden music"!! Hook up a vintage tube-type Echoplex with your Gretsch and amp and your little ol' world will just explode!! "That is my opinion and it ought'a be yours" (Chet Atkins)! Thanks, Steve

Bringing back one of the old designed amps in new packaging would be right up there with their re-issue guitars. I think Powdog nailed it.

I guess it depends on the audience. The Gretsch amps built by Valco we’re pretty gritty. Great for rock n roll (Page). Most of the Gretsch guys at the Gold Country Roundup like cleaner amps, so maybe something along the lines of the Standel would sell better. Once you fall in love with the clean sound of a Fender circuit it’s pretty hard to go back to the lo-fi sound of old Valcos.

– Powdog

Right you are Powdog!

NAD: Gretsch G6163 Executive Amp

http://chasingguitars.com/g...

You all know how hard it is to get your hands on a Gretsch G6163 Executive Amp (made by Victoria amps). Especially one in great condition.This one is in like new condition and came in original box. I could not pass it up.

Man, those are truly a thing of beauty!

Your NO looked pretty definitive. I feel bound to tell you, though, that I would gladly provide a receipt of donation for tax purposes.

Congrats! What brilliant amps!!!!

Congrats. You’re the envy of many people (myself included) here.

Register Sign in to join the conversation