Gretsch Amps

Gretsch Executive

Any chance Fender/Gretsch might make another line of Gretsch Executive amps? The Victoria amps are fantastic, but getting more and more expensive since they have been out of production for a while.

I wonder if Gretsch will do any more amps at all since the guitars are so sucessful. Sometimes companies had amps just to help sell electric guitars

There are no plans to build the Executive (or the Playboy or Variety) amplifier again. That was a special amp that Mark Baier, at Victoria, made for Gretsch.

Gretsch does intend to bring a new amplifier(s) to the market, but it has been in the planning stages without actually taking the steps of building prototypes, etc. Presumably, this is because they view their primary mission as building guitars and they have been doing a lot in recent years in that department.

But, the new amplifier(s) will not be simply taking a Fender amp and slapping the Gretsch name on it and then selling it as a Gretsch amplifier. Instead, they want the amplifier(s) to have a sound that is all Gretsch's own.

So, yes, there will be new amplifiers, but not tomorrow. Or the next day. Or three.

Contact Mark Baier at Victoria and see what he will do for you.

There are no plans to build the Executive (or the Playboy or Variety) amplifier again. That was a special amp that Mark Baier, at Victoria, made for Gretsch.

Gretsch does intend to bring a new amplifier(s) to the market, but it has been in the planning stages without actually taking the steps of building prototypes, etc. Presumably, this is because they view their primary mission as building guitars and they have been doing a lot in recent years in that department.

But, the new amplifier(s) will not be simply taking a Fender amp and slapping the Gretsch name on it and then selling it as a Gretsch amplifier. Instead, they want the amplifier(s) to have a sound that is all Gretsch's own.

So, yes, there will be new amplifiers, but not tomorrow. Or the next day. Or three.

– Ric12string

No offense to Victoria here, but their Gretsch Executive was at its core a very slightly tweaked Deluxe Reverb. Although, I can see why Fender wouldn't want to create competition against its own line by having an Executive and a Deluxe Reverb available at the same time, I don't see a problem with Fender tweaking one of its own circuits and bringing a new line of Gretsch amplifiers into the market.

I guess we might have to wait a day or three or more to see what happens! Ha.

Any chance Fender/Gretsch might make another line of Gretsch Executive amps? The Victoria amps are fantastic, but getting more and more expensive since they have been out of production for a while.

– SandChannel

I'm thinking IF they did, and keeping in mind past Gretsch marketing, it would not be on the cheap. I hear that back in the day Executives ran for about $3K. I also think that Victoria amps are great, but Executives do come up for sale on the used market once in a while.

Man I hate to see "back in the day" applied to an amp whose NAMM introduction I was present for.

As old people say, "it seems like yesterday." Is it really ancient history now?

I purchased an Executive amp new and I did not pay $3,000. I have never heard of anyone paying that much for one of these amps. Although Proteus would have to pay me at least that amount to pry one from my hands. Maybe double or triple that amount even.

As for badging an existing Fender amp, there wouldn't be much purpose in doing that if you can already buy a Fender amp with the same circuitry. If Gretsch is going to go to the trouble of bringing an amplifier to market, they want it to be something of their own design and something that they believe will best create the sound that is identified with these guitars. I have inquired at NAMM Shows on multiple occasions about new amplifiers and have been assured that they want something unique to Gretsch if they are going to get back into the amp business.

Point of clarity. RickyBob has TWO of them. Two, count'em, too. Does he NEED two of them, I ask you.

The defense rests.

To clarify, Mark at Victoria had to use existing circuits and transformers that were already approved for fire safety and export regulations in building the Gretsch amps. I think he did a great job with what he had to work with in the timeframe he had. If Gretsch wants to build new amps, that is a lot of work and lead time.

Doesn't the Rev honk thru one of those?

As for RickyBob’s owning two identical Gretsch amps, these amps fuel the NorCal Roundup. So, yeah, WE need them!

When they do make a new amp, hopefully it won't have screws showing on the front as some Exec's have. Fortunately mine doesn't.

When they do make a new amp, hopefully it won't have screws showing on the front as some Exec's have. Fortunately mine doesn't.

– Windsordave

Glad someone else mentioned that. For such a cool looking amp, those screws were a questionable decision. Lots of ways to attach that front panel from behind.

Doesn't the Rev honk thru one of those?

– DCBirdMan

yes, his settings are pretty much on 10. I doubt Gretsch will do another run of those amps. they were great but i don't think they performed as well sales wise as they had hoped

Amazing amps. Maybe the greatest I've ever heard (or maybe just ideal for an rhh).

K

Food for thought -- Given the history and relationship between Gretsch & Chet Atkins, a new line of Gretsch amps might include a model based on the Standel 25L15 . This may have been part of the thinking behind the Executive (22-ish watts, 15" speaker) . Those specs would certainly apply to a newer model. But a new effort might also include updated version of other design details, except possibly the use of 807 power tubes. Nothing wrong with those but they are not commonly stocked in local shops and can be tough to find.

This is one of the coolest looking Gretsch amps ever. I’d love to see them revisit this design.

This is one of the coolest looking Gretsch amps ever. I’d love to see them revisit this design.

– Powdog

You speak of the truth o wise one! I lust after that and we HAD to use it as the basis for the Super 8. Puzzled about why this doesn't still exist, either as an expensive booteek thing or a cheapie Chinese version. Would love to see it accurately repeoduced

– Powdog

You speak of the truth o wise one! I lust after that and we HAD to use it as the basis for the Super 8. Puzzled about why this doesn't still exist, either as an expensive booteek thing or a cheapie Chinese version. Would love to see it accurately reproduced

– Powdog

My first amp was the larger version of this---a 6163. 15" Jensen and a tweeter, under 20 watts as I remember. Gretsch used variants of this cabinet for awhile, from tweed to Western finishes, as well as the speckled grey.

I'd like to see Fender come up with a Gretsch amp line (G5222 was the same as a Champ 600 in a different cover). Something based off of a Deluxe Reverb or a Blues Jr. It'd be keeping it in the family, so to speak.

My first amp was the larger version of this---a 6163. 15" Jensen and a tweeter, under 20 watts as I remember. Gretsch used variants of this cabinet for awhile, from tweed to Western finishes, as well as the speckled grey.

I'd like to see Fender come up with a Gretsch amp line (G5222 was the same as a Champ 600 in a different cover). Something based off of a Deluxe Reverb or a Blues Jr. It'd be keeping it in the family, so to speak.

– wabash slim

I think they did that with the Victoria built Executive and Playboy. Unfortunately all of the Leo Fender and Seth Lover type circuit designers are gone. Save one.

Gretsch really needs to talk with Billy Zoom.

The amp that was originally designed by Victoria was rejected in favour of the Executive....Fender thought it should resemble a Deluxe.

So, if the original was to be reissued, what tweaks would be needed?

I guess it depends on the audience. The Gretsch amps built by Valco we’re pretty gritty. Great for rock n roll (Page). Most of the Gretsch guys at the Gold Country Roundup like cleaner amps, so maybe something along the lines of the Standel would sell better. Once you fall in love with the clean sound of a Fender circuit it’s pretty hard to go back to the lo-fi sound of old Valcos.

Register Sign in to join the conversation