Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Jet Top Contours

In photos you can find on the internet, most Jets seem to have contoured tops, but some appear to have flat tops?

And they all look like they have flat backs.

Good to know I'm not the only person who is interested in this...

The Surf Green Jet is cools a all get out, except for what looks like a flat top.

What vintage Jet or pro-line has a flat top?

I'm not sure if they actually have flat tops, but some Duo Jets and Jet Firebirds photograph like that, and some Custom Shop guitars seem to have them. They must be varying at least in depth or shape.

On the surf green one at least, you can see the top contour by looking at the reflection of the Bigsby arm. I think it's just that the solid colors are good at masking relief and shadow. You can rest assured that all of the guitars above have arched tops. The geometry of the neck angle and bridge height wouldn't work with a flat top.

Also note the shadow under the Bigsby tailpiece towards the edge of the body. There's fresh air and a distorted hall-of-mirrors reflection between the flat metal plate and the contoured guitar top.

On the surf green one at least, you can see the top contour by looking at the reflection of the Bigsby arm. I think it's just that the solid colors are good at masking relief and shadow. You can rest assured that all of the guitars above have arched tops. The geometry of the neck angle and bridge height wouldn't work with a flat top.

– Otter

You oughtta be a cop! That is a great observation. Thanks for the continuing education.

Also note the shadow under the Bigsby tailpiece towards the edge of the body. There's fresh air and a distorted hall-of-mirrors reflection between the flat metal plate and the contoured guitar top.

– ade

Tell me more about this "hall-of-mirrors" hiding under my Bigsby

There's an entire funfair under every Bigsby, Otter.

Trust me. We carnies are trustworthy folk.

Flat backs... yes. Flat tops... no.

I think some pictures you find online are deformed. I've never seen a flat top Jet. Back yes.

Sometimes one might wish they were flat, as that would certainly do away with the time required to sand a new bridge base to fit the top.

As Otter observes, the neck geometry with a flat top wouldn't result in a guitar that would be very enjoyable to play.

Weren't there some Synchro/Electro jets with flat tops? I know the Jet Bass has a flat top.

Weren't there some Synchro/Electro jets with flat tops? I know the Jet Bass has a flat top.

– Suprdave

Yes, there were and are. But since this is the Vintage Gretsch section I think the question was going this direction.

Yes, there were and are. But since this is the Vintage Gretsch section I think the question was going this direction.

– sascha

Ha, Good call. I always go to New Topics and sometimes miss that.

Ha, Good call. I always go to New Topics and sometimes miss that.

– Suprdave

No problem. 'New topics' is my entrance door, too.

I thought the Junior Jet was/is a good idea and I yet may build one. Either that or get one of those vintage Corvette bodies, make a neck and build a Cowboy Corvette...maybe with a Magnatron....one of those vintage horseshoe Bigsbys....

Register Sign in to join the conversation