Gretsch Amps

FS: Gretsch G6136 Executive 1x15 combo

In a way it's own way it's different enough from a bassman to re-label it as not a Fender but do you think they would stay with your spec transformers?

– roadjunkie

Ya it is my own for sure but I wont take credit as some new invention. Its a 63' 6G6-B with some added and deleted features sandwiched into making something new sound like the old amp. AND.. not making a new amp sound like a 6G6-B when it was new in 63' but rather making the blondeshell sound like my 1963 blonde bassman sounds like NOW. :) The Output transformer is integral. Although it doesnt have to be Mercury Magnetics. They just happen to be the ONLY company that produces an on the shelf, ready to ship, authentic Schumacher tone clone for the Blonde bassman. Heyboer has done it for custom orders but its not something they feel they need to have available as a stock item. So.. if a company was to put in a large order, they'd deliver. I feel Heyboer knows how to make new stuff sound like the old stuff does NOW, so it would be a crap shoot as to whom does it better.

I have a working relationship with Mercury Magnetics since they supply me with the 63' 6G6-B bassman transformers and the Gibson EH-185 tone clone transformers. They know their sh$t having been in business since the 50's even though they've not been in the instrument amp business that long. Their personal service is amazing, quick turn around w no hassles, always available for advice and their hip to small builders needs. So.. even though 80% of their aftermarket tranformers pushes the envelope for the corksniffers and warrants some of the old cranky farts pissing at them, that 20% of what they do offer that no one else does, is HUGE. This is the kind of company to trust when your back is against the wall. Probably too much info for the end user but I think its good to share this, because we can all relate to people who will look us in the eye and promise us things left and right just to let us down or worse deceive us. Mean people suck, and Mercury Magnetics are the good guys.

the chances of a major big name corp using premium transformers or speakers are just about nil..barring any limited ed./super custom runs...

they can't even get back to ptp!!

look at the george benson amp..they made a solid wood cab and changed the tolex on a hot rod deluxe!!...whoopee

zinky, victoria..they all distanced themselves from the final results

stay indie

cheers

the chances of a major big name corp using premium transformers or speakers are just about nil..barring any limited ed./super custom runs...

they can't even get back to ptp!!

look at the george benson amp..they made a solid wood cab and changed the tolex on a hot rod deluxe!!...whoopee

zinky, victoria..they all distanced themselves from the final results

stay indie

cheers

– neatone

stay on welfare?

hah! don't think the welfare board take too kindly to those two gretsch amps you bought this week!!..haha

but a stickler for detail like you..aside from any $$$ gains...what satisfaction would you attain from seeing say your moonshine amp come out, but with cheap transformers, cheap speaker, maybe some tube subs and on a circuit board..in a different cab..you might as well just sell the name..the design is gone

as i sd zinky and victoria, both felt similar

i hope you sell your moonshine 39's by the score!..i talk'em up wherever i can

cheers

hah! don't think the welfare board take too kindly to those two gretsch amps you bought this week!!..haha

but a stickler for detail like you..aside from any $$$ gains...what satisfaction would you attain from seeing say your moonshine amp come out, but with cheap transformers, cheap speaker, maybe some tube subs and on a circuit board..in a different cab..you might as well just sell the name..the design is gone

as i sd zinky and victoria, both felt similar

i hope you sell your moonshine 39's by the score!..i talk'em up wherever i can

cheers

– neatone

Yes you are right, change ANYTHING in my amps and its wrong. If the Grilled Sockeye salmon recipe called for a glaze made with fresh Thyme, Dijon mustard, pure Maple syrup, and Olive oil.. you dont grab french's yellow must'tard, Aunt Jemima's syrup, and PAM.May as well get a cancer sandwich at McDonalds.

btw.. I tend to be transparent about a lot of things, particularly at this forum since you guys are responsible for getting me started. I go through a lot of gear, but its R&D for the business. Me, tavo the musician, I own my Gretsch SSU, 8 zillion pedals and a few guitars I've built, several cheap acoustics, along with my 63' bassman. Everything else belongs to the business. There's no lawyer wall art going on, if there was my wife wouldnt be working 9hr shifts full time and me working on the weekends. I dont ever want to appear like I'm rolling deep, not true. (bless the GDP confessional)

"May as well get a cancer sandwich at McDonalds."

Now that's a riot! I'm going to be using that expression from now on!

Yes you are right, change ANYTHING in my amps and its wrong. If the Grilled Sockeye salmon recipe called for a glaze made with fresh Thyme, Dijon mustard, pure Maple syrup, and Olive oil.. you dont grab french's yellow must'tard, Aunt Jemima's syrup, and PAM.May as well get a cancer sandwich at McDonalds.

btw.. I tend to be transparent about a lot of things, particularly at this forum since you guys are responsible for getting me started. I go through a lot of gear, but its R&D for the business. Me, tavo the musician, I own my Gretsch SSU, 8 zillion pedals and a few guitars I've built, several cheap acoustics, along with my 63' bassman. Everything else belongs to the business. There's no lawyer wall art going on, if there was my wife wouldnt be working 9hr shifts full time and me working on the weekends. I dont ever want to appear like I'm rolling deep, not true. (bless the GDP confessional)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

But can I get my Sockeye Salmon with a glaze made of cumin, kefir, Marmite, Karo Syrup and Crisco??? I'm allergic to all that other stuff...

"But can I get my Sockeye Salmon with a glaze made of cream of tartar, Marmite, Karo Syrup and Crisco??? I'm allergic to all that other stuff..." Geez, I was just about to get a bite to eat but after reading that, I'll wait awhile to let my stomach calm down!

BTW, never heard of anyone being allergic to maple syrup. That stuff is a food group to us Canucks!

"But can I get my Sockeye Salmon with a glaze made of cream of tartar, Marmite, Karo Syrup and Crisco??? I'm allergic to all that other stuff..." Geez, I was just about to get a bite to eat but after reading that, I'll wait awhile to let my stomach calm down!

BTW, never heard of anyone being allergic to maple syrup. That stuff is a food group to us Canucks!

– Windsordave

I changed it from cream of tartar to cumin.... the cumin puts a little "edge" on the Marmite, which brings out the "flavor" in 2-week-old salmon (gotta make sure that fish is good and dead and ain't going to jump out of the pan). Garnish with Chili-flavor Fritos and you're good to go-- if that ain't gourmet cookin', I don't know what is.

I go through a lot of gear, but its R&D for the business. -TheNocturneBrain.com™

Is that what you tell your wife or do you really believe that?

I go through a lot of gear, but its R&D for the business. -TheNocturneBrain.com™

– Charlie Vegas

Oh, SNAP!

– Charlie Vegas

She does most of our paperwork and the accountant handles the rest. Now my Tiki mug disorder, errr collection, for all she knows they breed on their own.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

He forgets I have known him since the TopHat forum days. In fact he's responsible for me coming here in the first place. I lost track of the gear he's moved but what I can remember it's a lot................. and more!

He forgets I have known him since the TopHat forum days. In fact he's responsible for me coming here in the first place. I lost track of the gear he's moved but what I can remember it's a lot................. and more!

– roadjunkie

Tophat!!! RJ you may have already known this but I just found out ...Brian moved his business from Cali to Fuquay Varina to be closer to Mojo just south of Raleigh right off I-40,so if your down this way truckin' you should roll for chat.Next time I head to Raleigh I may stop in myself.Like to visit Carr also one day.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

There's no lawyer wall art going on, if there was my wife wouldnt be working 9hr shifts full time and me working on the weekends. I dont ever want to appear like I'm rolling deep, not true. (bless the GDP confessional) -- TheNocturneBrain

You keep that lame jive up and you will have one less of them to be friends with. Olivia Anne's guitar is not wall art. She uses it. Marctrain57 and Knavel don't use their guitars as wall art. They play them. You would be better accusing dentists and orthodontists of this, since my children's orthodontist has his office walls littered with guitars autographed by the stars, if he might be any example.

Ric12, I don't think you need to take that too personal. It's just an expression.

There's no lawyer wall art going on, if there was my wife wouldnt be working 9hr shifts full time and me working on the weekends. I dont ever want to appear like I'm rolling deep, not true. (bless the GDP confessional) -- TheNocturneBrain

You keep that lame jive up and you will have one less of them to be friends with. Olivia Anne's guitar is not wall art. She uses it. Marctrain57 and Knavel don't use their guitars as wall art. They play them. You would be better accusing dentists and orthodontists of this, since my children's orthodontist has his office walls littered with guitars autographed by the stars, if he might be any example.

– Ric12string

Did you just go Sandford and Son on me? Listen up Jive turkey, "Lawyer Wall Art" is an every day, urban, guitar forum euphemism for rich guys wasting cash on things they dont actually use.

Did you just go Sandford and Son on me? Listen up Jive turkey, "Lawyer Wall Art" is an every day, urban, guitar forum euphemism for rich guys wasting cash on things they dont actually use.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

No, that affliction is commonly ascribed to doctors or dentists, not lawyers.

hold on a sec... my popcorn's almost done. Don't wanna miss this.

No, that affliction is commonly ascribed to doctors or dentists, not lawyers.

– Ric12string

I actually first heard that term used constantly on this forum back in the days when Setzer's hair was talked about. It stuck, and its funny. A standard on guitar gear forums Im afraid. Dentist's and Doctors aren't really used as fodder for comedians :)

I promise not to start the lawyer jokes

Tophat!!! RJ you may have already known this but I just found out ...Brian moved his business from Cali to Fuquay Varina to be closer to Mojo just south of Raleigh right off I-40,so if your down this way truckin' you should roll for chat.Next time I head to Raleigh I may stop in myself.Like to visit Carr also one day.

– Michael Williams

Yeah one one sometime ago when Brian move to Apex? I wanted to stop and see him but it got to be too late in the day. He has since moved. If you are on FB check my TopHat page. Brian shows up there now a then.

Hey has this turned into a rant about lawyers? I dont want to see things get ugly nonetheless I'm heading to the microwave with the popcorn.

– Michael Williams

Mike, I used to sell tophat amps and hanging at Brian G's shop was school for me. I was heart broken when he left us for the old country.

Mike, I used to sell tophat amps and hanging at Brian G's shop was school for me. I was heart broken when he left us for the old country.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Yea, ya don't usually see well established businesses moving from West to East but makes good sense with the amps he pushes out and using cabs from Mojo.I was kinda surprised just doing some looking on the interwebs that we have here Tophat,Carr & 3Monkeys Amps...which btw build some pretty sweet amps as well.

If you want brick and mortar stores as your distributors, I think the east coast is better. More single males with discretionary income in larger cities too, if I remember the stats correctly.

Register Sign in to join the conversation