Gretsch Amps

cool but not $1500 cool?

Which model is it? My somewhat later 6163 had the exact same control panel, but it had a 15" LF and a 4" tweeter. This doesn't tell you much other than it has a 6V6 and beautiful patina., and, that it's overpriced. He's already dropped the price by 25%---$500. Just wait.

I agree -- not worth $1500.

It is a 1955-ish 6161, "Electromatic Twin". 14 watts, 2 - 11"x6" speakers. List price back then was $160.

Decent amps, but not particularly great sound. I had a later ('58 - '59??) version back in the late 1950's.

I want to know how it has a cover, but looks like it's been doused with maple syrup?

It may be worth that to somebody but not me.

But wait, it's got the original cover.

I want to know how it has a cover, but looks like it's been doused with maple syrup?

– crowbone

That's the "beautiful patina" mentioned in the blurb.

But it has a beautiful level of patina, with maximum visual vibe!

Edit:

But it has "a beautiful level of patina, with maximum visual vibe!". I'm in the camp of folks who don't understand how something with a beaten up appearance is visually appealing and used in ad descriptions. Little nicks and dings accumulated over the years is one thing but being vintage doesn't need to have to look neglected. This amp isn't what I'd call 'beaten up' necessarily but certainly well worn for its age. It's the BS ad commentary I'm generally objecting to.

And relicing - damaging on purpose - is beyond my understanding. You wouldn't do that to a new car or include it in restoring of a vintage car.

Yeah, amazing to me how that just had to’ve been the very first bullet point...

It’s ad’s like this that remind me completely of the obnoxious 1970’s used car salesman or TV gameshow host.

I guess this seller must really know its customers!

You wouldn't do that to a new car or include it in restoring of a vintage car.

Oh but others would. As in rat rods...

You wouldn't do that to a new car or include it in restoring of a vintage car.

Oh but others would. As in rat rods...

– Proteus

It's common practice in "antiquing" furniture.

At least with rat rods, the idea isn't to purposely make a vehicle look old, it's to make a nasty old vehicle into something somewhat useful. Of course, it does often seem that, "the gnarlier, the better", is the idea---glorifying rust.

Register Sign in to join the conversation