Gretsch Amps

6154 SuperBass

I am refurbing a 6157 piggyback.

Maybe the same circuit?

I am refurbing a 6157 piggyback.

Maybe the same circuit?

– Twangmeisternyc

Cool man! Didn’t know you had that talent.

Very cool, I love this stuff! These old sets are a lot of fun to refurbish. Good luck with it, it looks like a fun project.

Like this?

– Twangmeisternyc

Yes very similar although I think what I'm working with is slightly older or the grill cloth was replaced early on.

the rectifier tubes are different than any other Scheme I've seen in this era of Valco Amp

The tube layout seems a bit different, but I can see evolution out to my 6157. It has 2-12ax7s and 4-6L6s. Transformer plan seems the same, and I would guess the 6154 has 2 parallel amp stages out to the 2-12" speakers.

Mine was built during Valco's last year....

The tube layout seems a bit different, but I can see evolution out to my 6157. It has 2-12ax7s and 4-6L6s. Transformer plan seems the same, and I would guess the 6154 has 2 parallel amp stages out to the 2-12" speakers.

Mine was built during Valco's last year....

– Twangmeisternyc

Yes it is a parallel circuit, something like 70 watts total. The two rectifier tubes (5U4GB's) seem to be the missing components.

Anothr View

– Leslie K Scilley

Any photos of the power chassis? I’m rebuilding one that had been chopped up and can’t seem to get my left side Power amp operating properly.

Register Sign in to join the conversation