Modern Gretsch Guitars

Mike Nesmith 12-String

Oh wait...you mean it's not his personal guitar? Even then $10K is a bit steep.

Yes, but it does have a flip up mute.

What are you guys talking about? Can't you see that it is on sale?

If a 6-string custom-shop guitar sells for $5K, it only stands to reason that a 12-string will sell for $10K . . . right?

It's a custom shop...so, yeah!

This was a Baldwin era guitar -- right? I guess those must be worth a TON!

List price is $12,800. That seems pretty excessive, I don't care who's building it. All of Gibson's models are Nitro finished. I don't see why Fender has to make such a big deal about it being finished in Nitro. I could see that amount if the Top, Back & Sides were solid, hand picked Eastern Maple and were hand tuned for resonence.. But, Maple ply? I bet they didn't even use Hide Glue. Shit, I could get a Gibson L-5 for that. Dealer cost is $6,400.

http://www.musiciansfriend....

Really? $10k? Who can afford that? Should list for $5k. who do they think they are... Gibson Custom?

– Donald Butler

"Who do they think they are...Gibson Custom?".......or perhaps Gary's Guitars.

Windsordave: spot on! He's holding a left-handed Country Club hostage that I'd really like to have. Those aren't prices; those are ransom demands.

Paul/FF909

Hahaha...Gary's Guitars..too true. The price is ridiculous.Apparently those that control the economy need to be catered to ..and these offerings are for them...that anyone nowadays can throw down 10 g on a guitar tells much about the lopsided world we live in...but apparently the market for them is large...further showing the disintegration of the middle class... many guitar companies are doing this ...on a business stand point...if it sells..keep making

Windsordave: spot on! He's holding a left-handed Country Club hostage that I'd really like to have. Those aren't prices; those are ransom demands.

Paul/FF909

– Frequent Flyer 909

Rumor has it Gary's has an 'in' with a mortgage broker instead of a lender for purchasing his guitars!

Both Gary's and the subject guitar of this thread are undoubtedly exceptional examples of condition and/or rarity but sometimes you can't help but wonder when you see prices that appear to be out of line with the current market, that the seller is counting on PT Barnum's famous expression regarding why some people will believe in something the majority sees as blatantly bogus: "There's a sucker born every minute."

By the way, I believe that one of our very own GDP'ers, WayneMusic123, is the person who created this special run guitar for Musician's Friend. We know him to be a Michael Nesmith fan and I am sure that this project was one that he really enjoyed working on.

Not trying to disrespect Wayne at all, but I was going to have Gretsch Custom shop build me a 1960 Country Gent with the Trestle Bracing, sealed top and finished in the red Nitro Tennessean colour about 3-4 years ago and I was quoted $5k list price thru Wildwood and just can't see why they're asking $12,800. for this.. I can see Mr. Stern making six figures a year (and rightfully so), but that's a drop in the bucket for Fender. I can't see this costing anymore than $6k List Price. I'm sure Nez is flattered that someone wants a copy of his original Gretsch. My mentor, the late Red Rhodes worked for Nez for decades playing Steel in his bands and always had the nicest things to say about Mike. It just sucks that the price on this is only affordable to Doctors, Lawyers or CEO's.

I'll add that for that money, the guitar still isn't correct - no open back strip Van Ghents, no wooden bridge, headstock shape is curved in.

Not trying to disrespect Wayne at all, but I was going to have Gretsch Custom shop build me a 1960 Country Gent with the Trestle Bracing, sealed top and finished in the red Nitro Tennessean colour about 3-4 years ago and I was quoted $5k list price thru Wildwood and just can't see why they're asking $12,800. for this.. I can see Mr. Stern making six figures a year (and rightfully so), but that's a drop in the bucket for Fender. I can't see this costing anymore than $6k List Price. I'm sure Nez is flattered that someone wants a copy of his original Gretsch. My mentor, the late Red Rhodes worked for Nez for decades playing Steel in his bands and always had the nicest things to say about Mike. It just sucks that the price on this is only affordable to Doctors, Lawyers or CEO's.

– Donald Butler

You put the punctuation mark on everyone's amazement for such a grossly inflated asking price with your personal experience. This leaves greed as the motive for this asking price, combined with my not really facetious comment of waiting for a sucker to bite at that price.

If someone actually buys that guitar at that price or even close to it, another old adage comes to mind: "A fool and his money are soon parted."

No disrespect intended. Just having a little fun. I like the guitar, think it's a bit high and can't afford it but am sure someone will buy it. Then Wayne will be the one grinning.

That is about the current going rate for a hollow body out of the custom shop.

No disrespect intended. Just having a little fun. I like the guitar, think it's a bit high and can't afford it but am sure someone will buy it. Then Wayne will be the one grinning.

– Baba

MF will have no difficulty at all in selling those guitars. There are some huge Nesmith fans out there.

I'm happy with mine...and it didn't cost $10K!

That is about the current going rate for a hollow body out of the custom shop.

– CBell

If that's the case, then purchases from the Custom Shop are definitely shifted to those with much more disposable income than probably the majority of us on this website.

I'm curious as to when prices basically doubled, given several fellows have paid half the price of this guitar for theirs?

– Crippled Lion

Now THAT is kinda cool

– Crippled Lion

Wow this is cool! I have the same model. I picked a NOS one up about two years ago from that limited run. I would love to have a Nez signature on the pick guard.

Register Sign in to join the conversation