Miscellaneous Rumbles

11 pm PST, the Queen of England is Dead ??

Nah, load of old bollocks.

Is this true or is Morrissey up to his old tricks ago spreading rumours again?

A German TV news channel confirmed one hour ago, that there's a special conference in Buckingham Palace, but that the "Queen is dead" news is a hoax.

Imagine a important man with a funny hair style and a right hand that wanders the globe" OK

Fake News' I say again Fake News"

Queen was seen along with Phillip and Corgy dogs collecting her morning newspaper at the newsagents.

Is this true or is Morrissey up to his old tricks ago spreading rumours again?

– ThePolecats

hhaaaaa!! you got it!

I'm just listening to 'Vauxhall and I'. What a mighty fine album this was and still is.

While I imagine I would support the abolition of the monarchy were I a subject of the UK, Elizabeth II is a fascinating public figure. And recognizing that she is very beloved by a majority of her subjects, I hope she is well and wish her health.

As a Brit I think I should spell out to you guys the real situation with the British monarchy. In 1642 there started a civil war that separated those loyal to the king and those wanting to separate from the absolute power the king had. That war went on for almost ten years until the opposing group known as the Parliamentarians found victory at Worcester in 1651. The result of that was the execution of the standing King and his son sent into exile. This then set up the Commonwealth of Britain which basically is the same to the present day. Oliver Cromwell the leader of this 'new order' as they called it was as most guys of power found to be wanting and considered a dictator by many. After Cromwell died a change was decided and in 1660 the son of the executed king was allowed back into Britain to serve as a figurehead for the nation. This was known as 'The Restoration of the Monarchy' which is basically what we still have to this day. The Royal family have no influence on British politics but only serve as a figurehead for the nation. I for one like it this way as it also keeps century old traditions alive that would otherwise be dead and long gone.

As an Aussie i can't wait to get her off our money! Preferably replaced by Kylie Minogue rather than Charlie.

This was known as 'The Restoration of the Monarchy' which is basically what we still have to this day. The Royal family have no influence on British politics but only serve as a figurehead for the nation.

The summary makes too fast of a jump from Cromwell's surprise (but welcome) death to the state of the monarchy to today.

For instance, people might be surprised to see that the powers of the US president as cast in the 1781 U.S. Constitution were almost exactly those of King George III at the same time. The Declaration of Independence is pretty much an indictment against King George III; there is no way today that the British sovereign would ever "refuse assent to laws" and so on.

As an aside I would highly recommend the early 70s movie "Cromwell" with Alec Guinness as Charles I.

As an Aussie i can't wait to get her off our money! Preferably replaced by Kylie Minogue rather than Charlie.

– JimmyR

Oh, wouldn't that be so cool. Men at Work, AC/DC,MalcOm Young?

Don't forget the Easybeats! And Rolf Harris too!

Don't forget the Easybeats! And Rolf Harris too!

– lx

You do know that Rolf is locked up for sexual offences.

– Mr Tubs

A side of the man we never saw once when he was a frequent guest in our home back in the early '70s.

I grew up considering him something of a family friend, he never failed to recall my name, nor mom's or dad's any time our paths crossed in the intervening years until his life and career essentially ended with a thud.

Strange how you really don't know someone... Strange, and sad.

Please note, I am not making light of what he was convicted of. It's simply heinous and when proven, totally unforgivable.

However, I can honestly testify that in all his encounters with my family- including two younger sisters, a much younger brother, and myself his behavior was 100% above board. If there was temptation on his part, his ability to hide it and just be "one of the family" whenever he was with one or more of us was Oscar-worthy.

That said, when all the bad news came out, I was actually a little glad that it came out after my Dad passed away. Knowing that would have tarnished some of Dad's happier memories very badly.

Okay (he said), End of the derail. Back to the fun!

Had. Absolutely. No. Idea.

Mea Culpa. And much sympathy to the survivors of his crimes. He doesn't exist anymore as far as I'm concerned.

Register Sign in to join the conversation