Gretsch Amps

1957 gretsch cowboy amp

Hey Paul. I'm gonna send you a PM later when I have a better source than a phone.

Interested in a footswitch.

RepentOrPerish wrote:

Whythehell wont Gretsch reissue that thing?

For some reason I thought they were and Billy Zoom has his hand in it somehow.

...I could be wrong.

I could pay 17 months of rent with that! 8-o

Billy Zoom makes his OWN line of amps, one of which resembles the cowboy amp, or more accurately, a mirror image (cosmetically) with his signature on the grill cloth by the steerhead. I dont know the availability currently, I believe he had some health problems and ceased production for a bit....

...that said, Billy's amp is most suredly a superb sounding and quality product, and probably a bit out of my price range sadly (for me :( )

Great Find!

I bought mine from the second owner... He bought it from the original owner along with a 1959 Annie. The original owner bought them together new in 1959. So I guess my amp is from 1959. The fellow that I bought the amp from was in his mid 60s and very knowledgable about vintage giutars ... A huge Gretsch fan... He still has the Annie.

Yep - the controls are located on the top of my amp ... Mine came with the original tremelo pedal and ... WTF? A Cover ... That may explain why the grill graphics are so clean.

SOME PICTURES -

57 Chet, that amp is truly BEAUTIFUL! I had seen pics of it before but none close up. Before I wondered if the grill was recovered and reprinted. Now I know from the source. That amp cover must have done wonders for it.

You tell the ol' fella you want the Annie if he ever gets rid of it? That would be a neat original match.

What an awesome story! Congratulations.

Looks like a pair of 6973 power tubes in there 57Chet, man that one is clean.

Are those just regular alnico 6x9 car speakers of the day?

2-6973 ,1-5Y3GT, and 3- 12AX7 tubes.  The Speakers are 550-19 &550-20 Rolas. The tweeter is a 550-1.

I would not rule out that Billy Zoom is going to make a tribute amp like that.

I would not rule out that Billy Zoom is going to make a tribute amp like that. – Geoff Vane

I'd be interested in a Zoom cowboy amp with a 15". ???

Anybody know a source for the cabinet or grill cloth, or even the plans or a sketch of the amp dimension, My brother-in-law is a cabinet maker and maybe I can come up with something,

It would be nice to know what amp chasse would fit,

Just a thought

Are they serious on the price?

What's a real world price on these?

Holy cow... I did good. Too bad I hold onto anything I buy with a death grip!

I seen it as my one and only chance to own one and I jumped on it!

Yep, I was watching that one on ebay. I got a little suspicious when they said it had the original speaker and not much else had been changed other then a handle and a few other things mentioned. I found what appears to be the same amp on flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/39881842@N05/sets/72157620989550398/detail/

Apparently it was heavily modified. I told the store that is selling it about the flickr site and they said that's a different amp. Don't thing so....

Anyway, the store has it as a consignment and the owner want $5k.

After doing some research, I think I would move in the direction of Vintage 47 amps, the cab is not the same but I think this guy builds great amps for a fair price.

Yep, I was watching that one on ebay. I got a little suspicious when they said it had the original speaker and not much else had been changed other then a handle and a few other things mentioned. I found what appears to be the same amp on flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/39881842@N05/sets/72157620989550398/detail/

Apparently it was heavily modified. I told the store that is selling it about the flickr site and they said that's a different amp. Don't thing so....

Anyway, the store has it as a consignment and the owner want $5k.

-- e-classics

You are right, it's the same amp you can match the drip marks on the front. What kind of store would act so bogusly to its customers?

I have two Cowboy Amps - a small dual Rola amp and a large 15" Jensen model. I need footswitches for both of them.

Register Sign in to join the conversation