Gretsch Amps

1957 gretsch cowboy amp

gasmoney wrote:

Nice Flea market find?

No. Craigs find. I drove seven hours to get this thing, stayed with my brother overnight and then drove back. I'm not sure what these are really worth but I'm positive I'm not hurting any. The man I bought it from had inherited the amp from his father who had recently passed. His father bought the amp from a buddy over sees while serving in the Navy during the late 50s. He used that same amp all his life. His son, the man I purchased it from, isn't a musician so he decided it would be better off in someone elses hands. I made an offer and assured him it would be in good hands.

It has a notepad stored in the back with a date on the front of it, 1987. In the notepad there is a list of 66 songs that he apparently would perform as well as some domino scores. His son is planning on sending some old pics of him with the amp when he has more time to dig them out. I told him the history would stay with the amp.

:D

That is just.....

Mmmmmm tasty!

Finger picken good!

That is one beautiful looking amp.... Do post some clips when you get around to it. I'd love to hear what it sounds like!

deathbyfuzz wrote:

That is one beautiful looking amp.... Do post some clips when you get around to it. I'd love to hear what it sounds like!

I'd love to hear what it sounds like too! Unfortunately, I got home just in time for the ol' lady and 10 year old to go to bed. I've read that they don't sound great but I have a 1957 6161 amp as well and it sounds great to me. It has the single 15" were as the cowboy amp has the odd "car" speakers.

By the way, before I took the pics I was feeling brave. I used a Mr. Clean Magic Erasure to clean it up a little. Those pads truly ARE magic. I may do a little more cleaning and re-glue that tear on the front that is just flopping around.

There are a couple cigarette burns on the top of the amp. The tolex form and texture was not harmed, just discolored. They started getting less and less prominent with the use of the Magic Erasure and I think I could get it off completely. ...I think I'm gonna leave them. The guy told me when he was growing up, he always remembered his dad playing through it with a Lone Star light in a coozy and an ashtray setting on top of the amp. Apparently the cig fell out of the tray a time or two! Definately true character.

That amp and your 6120W-57 is one heck of a cool combo... I'd feel like I'd have to wear my Sunday best everytime I plugged in.

Wow, very nice! I'm pretty sure I'll never find one of those here in Holland.....

Wow, nice score! I'm terribly curious to hear what it sounds like.:)

And great that you have (access to) the history of that amp.

Do you happen to know when was the last time it was serviced? Those 50s caps shhould be pretty much dry and gunky by now.

Great find you lucky, lucky bas&@?d. Nice to have a bit of history with it.

Very cool find! I believe there are some video archives somewhere on the site here that has Chet57 playing his Synchro through one of those. I think it was at the Balto/DC 2011 roundup.

Hermitt wrote:

Very cool find! I believe there are some video archives somewhere on the site here that has Chet57 playing his Synchro through one of those. I think it was at the Balto/DC 2011 roundup.

Yeah that one sure is nice. I wish the print on the front of mine still looked like that. Kind of strange though, my control panel is on the back of the amp. I can see in that pic the controls are on the top.

Anyone know what year his is?

Michiel wrote:

Wow, nice score! I'm terribly curious to hear what it sounds like.:)

And great that you have (access to) the history of that amp.

Do you happen to know when was the last time it was serviced? Those 50s caps shhould be pretty much dry and gunky by now.

I was told the amp was never serviced. I have a few things that need serviced now. Problem is, I don't trust anyone around here...

Footswich with it? Controls on back def. Mid- late 50's.

Setzer wrote:

Footswich with it? Controls on back def. Mid- late 50's.

Unfortunately the footswitch was lost somewhere along the line. The serial number dates it to 1957.

I make footswitches for these.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Controls panels ontop, not sure of the year that started, maybe 60?

Great find T_Mayes...Congratulations!

The cowboy amp is way up there on my Gretsch collection wishlist...and it looks like yours is in great shape 8-)

By the way, Paul (Setzer) did a fantastic job on the replacement footswitch that he made me for my '57 Electromatic. I highly recommend talking with him if you'd like a killer replacement footswitch for the cowboy rig.

Register Sign in to join the conversation