Gretsch Amps

1957 Gretsch 6161 new to me - Grill cloth question

I recently came across a '57 6161 in great condition. The only issue at all are some stains on the grill cloth. Does anyone have advice or experience cleaning these? I assume I cannot get replacement cloth with the logo on it.

Take the speakers and electronics out and try steam. Pull the grille out completely if possible so you can try cleaning a place that's hidden. If I remember correctly, the grilles on these are like a flocked screen.

I had good luck this week cleaning the grill cloth on a 1960's Gibson amp using Simple Green - which was recommended by a number of people in an internet search. Speakers removed. The Gibson grill cloth was more of a basket type material. To me Simple Green seems to be harmless but if you try it test a small area first. Also, to be gentle on the grill cloth I foamed up Simple Green using an old shaving brush I had, with super-soft bristles. I let the foam sit for a few minutes, then used a shop vac to vacuum out the suds. Be careful around that logo - not sure if-or-how cleaning will affect it.

Take the speakers and electronics out and try steam. Pull the grille out completely if possible so you can try cleaning a place that's hidden. If I remember correctly, the grilles on these are like a flocked screen.

– wabash slim

Thanks!

I had good luck this week cleaning the grill cloth on a 1960's Gibson amp using Simple Green - which was recommended by a number of people in an internet search. Speakers removed. The Gibson grill cloth was more of a basket type material. To me Simple Green seems to be harmless but if you try it test a small area first. Also, to be gentle on the grill cloth I foamed up Simple Green using an old shaving brush I had, with super-soft bristles. I let the foam sit for a few minutes, then used a shop vac to vacuum out the suds. Be careful around that logo - not sure if-or-how cleaning will affect it.

– nielDa

Thanks!

WabashSlim is correct. It was flocking over steel screen. Trying to clean that might make it look worse. Might wanna just leave it as is. You could also make a new baffle, cover it with something more acoustically transparent and store the original on a shelf. The plastic logos look pretty good. Cool amp!

It’s in a lot better shape than mine!

It’s in a lot better shape than mine!

– Powdog

Yes, I will have to agree! I have seen your work, you make some great looking cabinets! I really like what you did with this one.

What are you using for grill cloth in your new cabinets?

I use the same wheat, oxblood and silver grillecloth that Fender uses, available thru most supply houses. There is still some old silverish Gretsch style cloth available on ebay.

I use the same wheat, oxblood and silver grillecloth that Fender uses, available thru most supply houses. There is still some old silverish Gretsch style cloth available on ebay.

– Powdog

Thanks! I appreciate the information and your expertise.

Register Sign in to join the conversation