General tech questions

Wiring for Partscaster project

So my telepartscaster is coming together. Last decisions have to do with wiring. I'm looking for something simple. Am I wrong that tone mostly gets sacrificed in the tone circuit? In general, I tend to leave the tone wide open anyway. The pickups involved are a Peter Florance te59 bridge and an open top Bigsby replica in the neck (made by Kenneth McGivern of Slapbacksville amps, who was a memberr here at one point). The options I am thinking are:

Option 1: neck volume pot/bridge volume pot/threeway series-parallel-out of phase switch

Option 2: master volume pot/pickup blend pot/threeway series-parallel-out of phase switch

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

I like to use a 4-way switch on a Tele, which gives you the stock three positions, plus the two pickups in series.

Then, I put a push-pull pot on the Tone knob for phase in/out. Pretty simple way to get six different sounds, and it looks stock.

I would do option 1 (neck vol and bridge vol).

With blend pots, you end up often sacrificing having one pickup solo'd and the other all the way off. There are work arounds to this but you still end up sacrificing having better control over the pickups. They are, however, easy to use which is why some prefer them over vvt on jazz or p/j basses. This option also can keep the pot load the same as a normal tele and prevent added shrillness (I love teles, but I don't need them to have more high end, especially without a tone knob).

How attached are you to the out of phase option? You could also do a 4 way (series, neck, parallel, bridge), master volume, and then do some sort of varitone/notch filter rotary (you can get them pre-made) instead of the second pot. This will also lower the load on the pickups, negating the point I just made but you wire some extra resistance into the circuit to compensate.

I like to use a 4-way switch on a Tele, which gives you the stock three positions, plus the two pickups in series.

Then, I put a push-pull pot on the Tone knob for phase in/out. Pretty simple way to get six different sounds, and it looks stock.

– JBGretschGuy

That's what Josh did for my partscaster...and it is amazing.

I've got the 4-way switch on my Tele. I use the neck and "out-of-phase" positions.

Consider a tone-bypass in the push/pull pot.

Will you get the "out-of-phase" effect with those two pickups?

I built a parts Jazzmaster and I wired it with two volumes and a three way switch with none of the mucky-muck Jazzmaster tone switches. It's great. I never use the tone knobs either. I vote for option 1.

I've never had any use for out of phase tones. I generally use just neck pickup or bridge pickup - hardly ever use the both-on setting. Hardly ever use a tone pot. That's why I love the Setzer hotrod wiring!

With a tele I would probably just go trad set-up - vol, tone and 3-way. Sorry to be boring.

Register Sign in to join the conversation