The Workbench

Weber Speakers, Whats the deal?

Building a Tremolux circuit into a 5F6a chassis. This is the cathode biased circuit. Gonna use 6L6 power tubes instead of the 6V6s.

The thing about Weber is their speakers mostly cater to those who want Vintage Jensen or Celestion sounds at a lower price (than vintage). They also offer some unique designs that seem well-received. I've really enjoyed all of their products that I've tried, but I don't have much experience with the originals they emulate.

– Otter

they also make the most authentic smooth curved cone, alum dust cap JBL copies out there. The Weber California is what I spec on my blondeshell 115 amps and exceeds anything my original JBL D-130 does. I do though prefer the large H screen cap instead of the alum and the ceramic version for rock n roll. You do want the alum cap for surf and authentic good ol boy music. Their Vox Silver clones are also off the charts. I've got their 65 watt Silver Bells and even the 100watt Silverbell.

I have three amps that use the high power speakers. I have a ceramic 12" California in my Deluxe Reverb, a ceramic 10" California in a Fender Bronco (Vibro Champ) and a pair of 10" ceramic Chicagos in a Music Man 210-65 amp. They all sound fantastic to my ears.

With a name like that, how could they be anything but good?

They have a nice 3.2 ohm 10" ceramic speaker. I tried a lot of different ones in my modded Champ kit and it was the best

Swapped the Italian made Jensens out of a Super Reverb '65 reissue for 4 Weber 10A125-O's.....big improvement.

I also love the weber designed Eminence speakers in my '57 Twin reissue. I think they are based on the weber 12A150-a

they also make the most authentic smooth curved cone, alum dust cap JBL copies out there. The Weber California is what I spec on my blondeshell 115 amps and exceeds anything my original JBL D-130 does. I do though prefer the large H screen cap instead of the alum and the ceramic version for rock n roll. You do want the alum cap for surf and authentic good ol boy music. Their Vox Silver clones are also off the charts. I've got their 65 watt Silver Bells and even the 100watt Silverbell.

– TheNocturneBrain

I love JBL speakers I actually have two amps with JBL D123 speakers in them, and have had a D120 in my old Princeton Reverb, and D130 in my Deluxe Reverb, both of them Blackface. That said, I've tried the California, and it didn't to me sound like my JBL speakers, it sounded good, for straight cleans, but it didn't have the distinctive mid honk that the D120 or D130 had. It didn't last long in that amp. Maybe they changed the build because my speaker was from the earlist ones they built.

I had a slightly modified (by Ted) Silver Bell in my Tophat Club Royale, and it was a great speaker, classic British crunch!

I also had a FerroMax speaker in my old Princeton Reverb II which was great. And the 12A150A is still in my Deluxe Reverb. So I'm still a big fan of Weber speakers.

Perveyors of only the finest snake-oil!

I have been doing business with them for nearly 20 years and can't say enough good things about them.

Perveyors of only the finest snake-oil!

– Billy Zoom

Is that what they use for early break in...

Register Sign in to join the conversation