The Workbench

Two Parts Builds In Progress…

I've got two parts builds going at the moment:

Mustang

Components I have so far:

• Mustang Style Ash Body in Halcyon Blue (finish done by prior owner using General Finishes Water Based Milk Paint Halcyon Blue and then covered with General Finishes High Performance Water Based Flat Topcoat)
  • 2020 Fender Player Mustang Maple Neck
  • Fender Mustang (MIM) Pickups - These pickups are possibly temporary, as I'll likely get some Fralin Split Blades for Mustang pickups down the road.
  • Genuine Fender Mustang Vibrato Tremolo Assembly
  • Mastery M1 Bridge
  • Decoboom Atomic Rings Neck Plate
  • Fender Chrome Strap Buttons
  • Fender Mustang Tremolo Bar
  • Fender Brownface Cupcake Knobs
  • Genuine Fender CHROME Guitar Pickguard Mounting Screws

Components waiting to be delivered:

• Fender Mustang Aged White Pearloid Pickguard - delivery delay

Guitar is all wired up properly (I continue to improve my soldering skills, huzzah!) and I should have it all put together by Friday.

Telecaster

Components I have so far:

• Pistol's Crown Guitars Barncaster 2020 in Seaside Blue T-style Soft Maple Body
  • Spitfire Pickguard
  • Allparts TRO-FAT Neck
  • Glendale Brass Telecasater Saddles
  • True Custom Shop® Schaller Bare Brass Strap Lock Buttons for Fender Telecaster
  • StewMac Electrosocket Jack Mount - Gold
  • StewMac Premium Wiring Kit for Telecaster
  • Genuine Fender Guitar GOLD Neck Plate Mounting Screws

Components waiting to be delivered:

• Lindy Fralin Split Blade Tele Pickups - Aged White (Arriving tomorrow! (7/10))
  • Armadillo Control Plate - Brass (Arriving Saturday! (7/11))
  • Armadillo Vintage "L" Bridge Brass Plate (sides-less) (Arriving Saturday! (7/11))
  • Armadillo Dome Style Knobs - Brass, Light Knurl (Arriving Saturday! (7/11))
  • Armadillo Brass Neck Plate for Telecaster (Arriving Saturday! (7/11))
  • Armadillo Brass String Ferrules with Lip (Arriving Saturday! (7/11))

Pistol's Crown Guitars Barncaster Tele and Strat bodies are very cool and done by a one-man shop in Texas - check out Jorge Ibarra's creations at https://pistolscrownguitars...

Michael at Armadillo makes some really wonderful brass components for Teles - check out Armadillo at https://www.armadilloguitar...

Did you beat the snot out of the Tele body, or it came that way?

Cool projects, looking great already! Fun to see the parts list so we know what's going on in there. Looking forward to see your progress.

Did you beat the snot out of the Tele body, or it came that way?

– NJBob

Yeah, it's my first relic - I'm not normally a relic guy, but this barncaster series of guitars are pretty cool with the termite damage look. Check them out.

A Smuggler's tele?

– crowbone

Edit

So I just learned the Smuggler's Tele is a thing. Nope, not a Smuggler's Tele.

Cool projects, looking great already! Fun to see the parts list so we know what's going on in there. Looking forward to see your progress.

– Mike2000

Thanks! Just got word from Michael at Armadillo that my ordered stuff is on its way. Hope to hear from Lindy Fralin in the next week or so about when they'll ship out my Split Rail pickups for the Tele.

Parts Build Updates:

Mustang is finished:

As you can see from the last photo, I goofed on the pre-drill holes for the tremolo system. Like the Dwarves in The Hobbit, I WENT TOO DEEP!! Filler, correct paint and flat clear coat was used (not so well) to try and fix it. It's good enough for me at this point.

As for the Tele build...well, it turns out the pre-drilled neck/neck plate holes were not accurate for a Fender neck by the seller - maybe it would have worked better for a Warmoth neck, I have no idea. Long story short, I messed things up trying to make it work. My efforts resulted in a bit of a mess with the soft maple body's neck pocket damaged from trying to remove a stuck screw. I'm going to take it to my tech to see if it's worth saving. If it is, the current neck will go back for this body's build since the neck is a bit road worn/relicy.

So I bought a licensed black poly Fender Telecaster body. With the previously mentioned brass and gold components, I believe it's going to look spiffy. At least my wife and I think so. I ended up buying a new Fender Lic WD Telecaster Tele Replacement NECK ALL ROSEWOOD Vintage 21. I'll take it to my tech to get it finalized - put on a bone nut, shape the neck heel if necessary, if any kind of clear-coating is needed - dunno, we'll see.

I'm going to save the StewMac wiring kit for another project and decided to go with a Gunstreet U.S Spec Tele - Volume Bleed - 3 Way - CTS - Wiring Harness. Supposed to arrive today.

Nice work. Love the Tele.

Thanks! Got the Gunstreet wiring, it's soldering time!

Long story short, I messed things up trying to make it work. My efforts resulted in a bit of a mess with the soft maple body's neck pocket damaged from trying to remove a stuck screw.

Maybe you can just drill out the holes and plug them? Then drill new holes in the right place. That would save you a trip to your tech, and give the satisfaction of fixing it yourself.

The Mustang looks nice!

Long story short, I messed things up trying to make it work. My efforts resulted in a bit of a mess with the soft maple body's neck pocket damaged from trying to remove a stuck screw.

Maybe you can just drill out the holes and plug them? Then drill new holes in the right place. That would save you a trip to your tech, and give the satisfaction of fixing it yourself.

The Mustang looks nice!

– Mike2000

Thanks re: the Mustang, much appreciated!

Re: the Pistol's Crown Guitars Barncaster body. Here's the ugly reality:

So the idea is to drill clean holes in the messed up holes and plug them with wood filler or something stronger? Please forgive my woodworking noobness.

The major concern is the torn upper left corner of the neck pocket. Any recommendations are appreciated...with the exception of setting fire to it. I can live with the scars of it since it is a relic body anyhoo.

Black Tele build is complete for now...I put on my spare Tele maple Modern C neck for now. Hope to get the chunky U all rosewood neck later this week or early next.

Loving the Armadillo Brass components, the Fralin Split-Blade pickups, and the Glendale Brass Telecasater Saddles. The Gunstreet wiring kit worked like a charm.

The Mustang and black Tele look great. The Barncaster looks like I did it.

Ha! You and me both, Baba Joe! Thanks re: the Mustang and black Tele.

I’m no wood worker, but could you use a bolt with a treaded metal sleeve packed in with wood filler, super glue or something? Or maybe get a three-bolt plate and start over with all new holes?

Thanks re: the Mustang, much appreciated!

Re: the Pistol's Crown Guitars Barncaster body. Here's the ugly reality:

So the idea is to drill clean holes in the messed up holes and plug them with wood filler or something stronger? Please forgive my woodworking noobness.

The major concern is the torn upper left corner of the neck pocket. Any recommendations are appreciated...with the exception of setting fire to it. I can live with the scars of it since it is a relic body anyhoo.

– Surfysonic

Wow, I'm trying to get my head around how you were trying to make it work. I wouldn't use wood filler to fix it. If I would attempt to fix this, I would drill out the original screw holes and glue dowels in there. Then cut out the messed up corner and glue another piece of wood in there. I would probably also rout the pocket a little deeper and glue in a piece of wood into the entire neck pocket to keep it all together, then rout to the correct depth. Then drill new neck holes in the correct spot.

I'm in no way a professional, but seeing the damage this is probably how I would attempt to fix it.

Yup, I watched a few YouTube demos (StewMac, etc.) on this kind of repair and everything you mentioned is pretty much what they did more or less.

The videos definitely made things clear - I don't have the tools or know-how to attempt this and I'll feel better giving it to my tech to try to rescue it. If he can't, I'm out slightly under $200. I still like these bodies, however, if I contact the seller to buy another one, I'll ask him not to pre-drill the neck pocket and avoid this issue.

Thanks for your feedback, Mike, very much appreciated!

I probably have seen the same video's over the last year. I'm currently building my first from scratch guitar so I guess I learned something from those countless hours on Youtube. I always hate to lose money on projects so I always try to fix and save my mistakes even if it's just $20 worth of binding or something.

Good luck with your projects! And the black tele looks very nice also!

Register Sign in to join the conversation