General tech questions

Tuning question

So awhile back I was learning a new song and it required to, tune down half a step, and then a Capo on the 2nd fret.

After thinking about it I figured why not just put a capo on the first fret and be done with it. Since tuning down half a step would "lengthen the neck" ,and than adding a capo would "shorten the neck" ,it would be contradictory to tune down,wouldnt it?

So last nite I was thinking why tune down half a step in the first place, and slap the capo on the 3rd fret. ( the crap I think of that keeps me up at nite,lol) Would doing this throw off the intonation ? Does it change the tuning completely?

What do you guys think? or should I just shut up and play it.

I'm lost on the 3rd fret capo, How about tune up a half step and not use a capo?

It puts the fretboard markers back in a useful position, and it makes the "F" chord with Open strings...like an "E" would be otherwise.

I'm lost on the 3rd fret capo, How about tune up a half step and not use a capo?

– RcktBrewMan

Im telling you man!

btw ,I learned 12XU. it Jams!

It puts the fretboard markers back in a useful position, and it makes the "F" chord with Open strings...like an "E" would be otherwise.

– Twangmeisternyc

Hmmm, I see where youre coming from on the fret markers. Easier to identify your location on the neck.

Might just be a question of context - if the song is one by a band that habitually tunes down a semi-tone (easier string-bending, suits the vocals better, for example), then for them it's a convenient way of pitching up a tone for a particular song.

If I were in standard pitch, I dare say I'd just capo at the 1st fret and get on with learning it.

H59

Capos just confuse me. I’d learn it without the capo. It might be a chance to learn a new chord voicing or two!

Why not just put the capo on the first fret if the object is to make F an open chord?

Why not just put the capo on the first fret if the object is to make F an open chord?

– Billy Zoom

Didnt think of that one. Makes sense.

– Billy Zoom

Didnt think of that one. Makes sense.

But, your dots are all wrong!

It's obvious you two need Capo-ing lessons....

Put a capo on and use a Sharpie to change the dots.

Interesting question. The way I see it, when you put a capo on your guitar's neck, you are turning your guitar into a short(er) scale instrument. So if you, say, tune down a full step then put a capo on the second fret, you are effectively playing your guitar in standard tuning -- but also at a shorter scale length. Does it sound different? I would think so, although it would not be as noticeable if you were using overdrive/distortion/fuzz and other effects. To me, though, what would change most is the feel of the strings - bending, playing at high fret positions, left hand placement would all feel different versus the same notes without a capo. It's not necessarily worse or better, just different.

So there you go - choose whatever capo position / tuning you want for your song, but note that if playing with a capo you will be playing a shorter scale instrument (like John Lennon's Rickenbacker... ).

So I played it as advertised, Tune down Half a step, capo on the 2nd fret and it feels right on.

And yes the fret markers are in the correct position in case I get lost on the neck.

I'll sleep easier tonight...very stressful.

– Twangmeisternyc

Register Sign in to join the conversation