The Workbench

Tuner Help for old Framus

My old Framus archtop electric has horrible inline tuners which I'd like to replace. The diameter of the peghead holes is 7.2mm. The tuner shaft is 6mm. The centers of the shafts is 37.

I'm not committed in any way to stay with inline tuners and am unafraid to drill mounting holes for new tuners. Given the above info, what suggestions might you all have for replacement tuners?

Thank you!

Would those open back Grover 18:1 Sta Tites work? I always liked them...

Mark, have you searched ebay ? your Framus is probably Vintage like mine. have you tried to contact the Framus company ? the old one went out of business, but there is a new one that is making the new Framus electric guitars.

edit : www.framusguitars.com

I see that they are making acoustics now, also. they've got some nice looking guitars - electric and acoustic.

Thanks! Brent, Framus used to have a good vintage forum but it got infected with a virus or something and they took it down. I haven't checked lately to see if they reinstated it.

a pic would help

are you talking reg 6 in line like fender? or 3 on a plate?..or 6 on a plate?

many options these days...gotoh/kluson, golden age from stew mac etc

be nice to keep the old framus fairly stock lookin..can be wonderful guitars

cheers

Mark, I'm surprised that none of our GDP members in Germany hasn't added anything to your thread.

Here's one picture of the tuner

And here is another view...

Out of curiousity have you tried cleaning and lubricating the tuners? You especially need lubrication where the post and the cog meet the plate of the tuner. Also the cog screw shouldn't be tightened too much because that's part of what makes them hang up. If you back off the crew on the cog a tiny bit it allows the tuners to take up the slack. Like I said go to Van Ghents site I bet there's something very very close to what you have if not identical. Van Ghents were on all the top end German guitars.

ok those are 3 on plate tuning machines...there's a few options around...

check

https://www.stewmac.com/Sit...

schaller has the exact shape 3 on plate tuners..but they are for a slotted headstock...at least the ones stew mac sells...might check schaller website

cheers

I have lubed these tunes but they seem sloppy to me. One of the buttons is loose on the shaft.

Thanks for the suggestions!

It sure looks to me like sascha nailed it, those are not for slotted headstocks. Buttons are a little different, but plates and shafts look to be a perfect match.

I"ve just about completed restoration of a '60's Framus archtop electric and the tuners mentioned by Sascha above were perfect drop-in replacements and seem to be of very good quality. I got mine from the same seller but on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/211...

Here's a shot of the whole guitar. Just missing a bridge saddle which I'm having 3D printed by my son. I also have to put the truss rod cover back on. Cool guitar. A little weird...but cool.

Wow James Brown thank you. My guitar is similar but a double cut. I'll post a picture later.

Here's a shot of the whole guitar. Just missing a bridge saddle which I'm having 3D printed by my son. I also have to put the truss rod cover back on. Cool guitar. A little weird...but cool.

– James Brown

glad to see someone else that appreciates Framus guitars.

Here it is when new!

Just ordered those tuners from Reverb. I'll post once installed. Thank you for the suggestions!

The replacement tuners came in. They fit perfectly. All screw holes lined up exactly. Here is one set.

Both sets installed.

The proud recipient! Thanks all for your help on this. It plays great and stays in tune. Once we start gigging again, I'll take it out for a spin.

Great to see this old lady back in great shape, Mark! Maybe it's time to take the pic from post #19 again. Just a few days later.

Great to see this old lady back in great shape, Mark! Maybe it's time to take the pic from post #19 again. Just a few days later.

– sascha

I'll take that under advisement, sascha.

Register Sign in to join the conversation