General tech questions

tube preamps???

What tube preamps do y'all use / recommend for recording purposes? Price range would be under $200 bones for my home hobbyist recording use. I had a Presonus Tubepre I got on the cheap from the 'Bay and it came fudged up so I'ma stilla lookin'.

I'm using a UA 610. Beautiful pre-amp/comp, but maybe a bit above what you're looking at..

I use a Presonus Blue Tube, and it's okay for cheap. Nothing to write home about, though.

But it does have a tube, phantom power, two in's/ outs, low-end roll off, phase reversal, and pad buttons.

Home recordin', Holmes.

I've had good luck with anything ART. They make a single channel tube pre for around $35, and an 8 channel. Not sure how much that one is. I used the single a lot last year with good results.

I've been using a Presonus 2 channel Blue Tube for several years now. It does a very nice job with my MXL condenser mics.

I've been hearing good things about ART material, Rip. Haven't heard about the UA 610, roller. Of course, I've had good luck with the Presonus Audiobox. Sometimes the ebay will bite you. I only seem to hear about these two companies. Thanks for the feedback, Gents and Holmeseys!

i use a digitech 2101 and it works fine still

Neve 1073, seriously take care with that, the cheap tubes pre amps are fake they don´t use the tube or better said the tube does´t agree nothing good to the sound, for 200$ there is no good mic pre amps on the market, cheapest or better quality/price relation decent ones are in some sound cards, like Apogee Duet or event better Apogee Ensemble, really forget the idea of a tube preamp

Sorry, Big Jim, it's LA 610. By Universal Audio. Unfortunately, i'd agree with the comment about forgetting a tube pre for under 200 deniro. Best save up and get something good.

I use this low budget approach for some of my home recordings:

Photobucket

Fisher PR-5

Unlike some other members here who feel the need to show off and recomend stuff in the thousand dollars level...when you have made clear you budget is a couple of hundreds.. :P

I will recomend you this "cheap" but efective tube preamp:

http://www.studioprojectsus...

cheers

Lizardville, I couldn't think of something for under $200. And the OP was seeking recommendations on what we were using. Not showing off- in my case i split the cost with some friends on a good preamp, which is shared. The pre-amp you've shown does not appear to have a balanced 'in'.

Thank you for the info at any rate, Gents. Although econo minded, maybe one day I'll go for more hi end in pre ampage. My next level up purchase will be for a better mic to make the other equipment sound mo better. Always interesting to learn about companies I haven't heard of, L'ville and thanks for the links, too, Dave and Paul.

I've had good luck with anything ART. They make a single channel tube pre for around $35, and an 8 channel. Not sure how much that one is. I used the single a lot last year with good results.

– Cory Ripley

– Ripley1046

Got a model number, link or a direction to point me in for that 8 channel tube pre-amp Ripley. I'd love to stuff one in before my 8 channel Fast Track interface!

My previous comment is ¨econo minded¨ a 200 $ tube mic preamp is like throwing money in the trash, The E-mu 0404 decent preamps with decents AD/DA converters it is a good point to start up in a home studio, in Europe it cost 80 euros or less, for recording guitars a Shure sm 57 50 euros is a great mic, and you will be very happy with this equipment, if you plan to record acoustic guitar and voice you need another mic but here unfortunately, nothing under 400 can work decently, if you try in ebay you can get approximately all rounding the 250$ second hand, the two mics and the interface, a large diaphragm micro is recommended for recording voice or acoustic instruments AKG as some conomic decent large diaphragm mics, but you must learn more about this before you buy, knowledge is economy , if you own a mac the best is Apogee, solo or duet this two i absolute can recommend because they are great preamps and converters

Being a low-budget recording enthusiast I can understand the need to keep the price down and I always know that there is better stuff out there for more money.

Unless your mic selection is REALLY bad I think it would be better to make your next "level up" purchase a better pre-amp, not for a better mic. A good pre-amp will help a so-so mic sound better, but the best mic will sound crappy through a bad pre-amp.

A tube preamp and a preamp with a tube in it aren't the same thing. You can't make a tube preamp with just a 12AX7. There are lots of modern cheap preamps that have a tube in them. They're a waste of money. They might work OK for you, but they'd sound the same without the tube. A tube mic pre needs at least two tubes and three transformers.

A tube preamp and a preamp with a tube in it aren't the same thing. You can't make a tube preamp with just a 12AX7. There are lots of modern cheap preamps that have a tube in them. They're a waste of money. They might work OK for you, but they'd sound the same without the tube. A tube mic pre needs at least two tubes and three transformers.

– Billy Zoom

– BillyZoom

That´s what i said but much better explained,

Being a low-budget recording enthusiast I can understand the need to keep the price down and I always know that there is better stuff out there for more money.

Unless your mic selection is REALLY bad I think it would be better to make your next "level up" purchase a better pre-amp, not for a better mic. A good pre-amp will help a so-so mic sound better, but the best mic will sound crappy through a bad pre-amp.

– AJ

AJ, You forget the AD/DA converters, they are crucial for the results, and the most important of all is the room where you are recording

Johnny, I agree with you, especially about the room's acoustics. But since BigJim was talking about buying mics and preamps I was sticking to those two things.

And the most important thing is a good song. A so-so recording of a great song is still better than a great recording of a bad song. And I like the stuff I have heard from BigJim!:D

Some of us are making some very good recordings using preamps and mics that we shouldn't have wasted our money on. I'm OK with that though. :P

Agreed RockabillyBob. I hope you didn't take my above comment to mean that BigJim's recording skills are only so-so; he does fine. It was intended as a compliment on his songs.

Oh no, AJ, I understand you were paying a compliment. My sarcasm had to do with the disparagement in others posts regarding good sounding, economical mics, preamps, etc.

Some of us are making some very good recordings using preamps and mics that we shouldn't have wasted our money on. I'm OK with that though. :P

– Rockabillybob

– Rockabillybob

your preamp could be decent, we are just saying that the Tube is just for marketing purpose it doesn´t do nothing in the Presonus, the Tube is the waste. Forget the tube and get a better interface/preamp without tube for the same price, Anyway my toy is the best of the best because it is mine :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation