General tech questions

TTS tech tip #4: How To Make F-Hole Plugs

Piece of paper over f-hole, rubbed with side of pencil lead, provides pattern. Cut. Place over foam (the example in pics, flip flop foam), outline with white chalk. Cut from top at angle inward with exacto knife. Drop right in. Push a bit, seal. Just a tad over-sized at the top, tops ride just above the guitar, easy to take out. Consider chemical compatibility of foam material to guitar finish. Poly very forgiving; lacquer can be less so.
Thanks ttspook, I'll have to try and make a set of those. I hope you don't mind if I post my simple $1.50 fix/solution: a $1 large car wash sponge cut in half and 1 sheet of Black construction paper cut in two equal pieces length wise. Cut the sponge in half. Squeeze each piece into a F-hole. Position with your fingers till it is directly under it. Cut the paper in half and fold it over itself once to stiffin it. Slide it into the hole over the top of the sponge. Pressing down on the sponge as you work it in, hiding the sponge and sealing off the F -hole completely. What the pieces look like: Photobucket 61 Gretsch 6124 Plugged! This simple setup acts like two extra "soft" post or contacts between the top and back of the guitar. I felt it gave my '61 6124 Anniversary a Electrotone body sound to a degree. Without pick guard photo
Any sound clips available with and without the plugs? I guess the sound would be less "hollow"? Or what should I expect, if I did this? Less prone to feedback?
Great ideas fellas! You could also substitute the construction paper for black craft foam (thin mouse pad type material).
I don't get it, why would you buy a hollow guitar if you're going to stuff it with foam?
I just thought of a crazy Jimmy Webster style feature that could work. You could hinge mount a plug (a plate of thin plexi with a foam top and locking hinge) on the inside of the guitar beside the f-hole that would flip up via a mute-style switch. They'd be kind of like little doors inside the body that flipped up and closed of the f-hole. If someone wants to donate a 512X I'll try it out.
Yeah a bird would be perfect. Maybe a Falcon or a Penguin.
I don't like the car wash sponge idea. What a pain to get the foam out when the car needs a wash
stop the air and possibly dampen top vibration via hysteresis Now you're just being hysterical.
chrisp: said: Temporary f-hole covers are a great way of dealing with live-playing feedback, especially in cramped locations where you have no choice about your proximity and orientation to the PA (or even your amp). So you buy a hollow guitar for its sound, then accept the occasional compromises needed for practical live use.
I've never had a problem with feedback in a live situation and I play like a caveman.
Stand a little farther away from your amp, and appropriatly adjust the distance from your mic and monitors. Equalize your sound in the mix in terms of your overall volume, mids and highs. You shouldn't have any problems feeding back with a hollow or semihollow guitar.
how about just plug one F-hole, that way you have a 1/2 hollowbody sound. I never tryed this, but i like how it sounds open.. Rick
You may of heard this before, but some of you people are outright insane.

Just stuff it with black foam instead of sponges with paper. The painted on F-holes are even cooler. An original hollow Jet with no F-holes at all is the coolest.
BZ

I totally agree Billy, the hollow jets are the best! Btw, good idea about the black foam. My use of black construction paper was a nod to Duane.

About the question above on plugging one hole, I tried this and it was ok. I plugged the hole under the guard.

A nod to Duane? I thought I got the black foam idea from Duane. That's what it looked like to me in the photo.
BZ

We asked Duane about this years ago here on the GDP and he said, thru Deed, that he used pillow stuffing or fiber fill and then topped it off with black construction paper.

I took that idea and expanded on it by using the car wash sponge cut in half and jammed in the holes with the black paper slid in on top.

Years ago, I knew a guy who filled his Guild Starfire with flour, and then Bondoed the holes shut. For the record, that's not a good solution. It didn't feed back, but the mildew did ruin the guitar. This is a true story.
BZ

BZ, How heavy was that Guild?

Good thing he didn't try to cross the border with it!

For those interested I sell f hole covers that can be removed and re-applied over and over again. I have several designs to choose from and the low-tack adhesive does not hurt the finish of the bass. Below is the link and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.gfx-solutions.co...

Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation