General tech questions

Truarc Lowrider Differences

Hi guys,

Could anyone explain to me how the TruArc lowrider bridge is different to the standard one? Does anyone have any pictures of them being compared?

Thanks

The ends are milled out on the bottom, allowing it to sit lower.

I can help with that.

The Low Rider is undercut on the ends of the bottom of the bridge, to allow it to ride lower "between" (instead of just on) the adjusting wheels. It provides more downward adjustability for guitars with shallow neck angle or string set, without reducing upward adjustability (as no one ever needs to crank a bridge all the way to the tops of the posts anyway).

What I have on hand is a pair of aluminum bridges, one in brushed aluminum - both a bit shopworn. They should suffice to show the difference.

Specifically, the Low Rider is .063 "thinner" at the ends. The pictures should tell the tale.

(But note that the height from the "deck" wouldn't be accurate on a guitar. I measured from the tabletop, which doesn't conform to the radius of the underside of the base; thus the bridge sits "higher" than it would on a guitar. Also note that the picture isn't representative of the way a Tru-Arc™ sits on adjusting wheels on a guitar, because this base doesn't fit the hole spacing perfectly, and is squeezed slightly - meaning the posts aren't parallel, and thus the bridge can't ride flat on the wheels as it is designed to do.)

The notations show that for the Standard, it's 1.503" from the deck to the crown of the bridge (more or less the bottom of the D-string groove, usually the highest point). The Low Rider is .96". (The GDP has shrunk my image to the point you can't read the text, though those heads are at 48 pt.)

We CAN go lower than this by special order, but you'll see that the belly of the bridge will then hit the platform of the bridge base. We can go even lower, by grinding the belly of the bridge down. But this also destroys tooling which then has to be replaced, so that's an expensive bridge. We've done it a couple of times, once for a guy in Paris with a 1953 Les Paul. (You can't make this stuff up.)

Thanks, Bob - you were surely quicker than I was. Cool bridge, too - Low Rider HoleTone for SynchroSonic base. Not a lot of those out there!

Thanks, Bob - you were surely quicker than I was. Cool bridge, too - Low Rider HoleTone for SynchroSonic base. Not a lot of those out there!

– Proteus

Not mine. I found the pic on the interwebs. Mine are plain-jane.

Really. Remarkable. I think I took the picture, looks like one of my backdrops. But unless I posted it here (quite possible), it was probably only sent to a customer. Because, you know...pitiful marketing and all, I don't have a website full of pictures.

Really. Remarkable. I think I took the picture, looks like one of my backdrops. But unless I posted it here (quite possible), it was probably only sent to a customer. Because, you know...pitiful marketing and all, I don't have a website full of pictures.

– Proteus

My theory is that you are simply afraid that this bridge thing might actually prove to be successful.

No...I wish it were more so and I could quit my miserable day job for good. It's really just that I hate computers, and the thought of developing and updating a website makes my skin (quite literally) crawl.

You do know that you can hire engineering types in India or the Philippines over the internet to do that work for you for very inexpensive prices, right?

Yeah, but I have to provide content and organization.

I want to have done a website. I just don't want to do it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation