The Workbench

Transistor ID assistance?

I have a Fuzz Pedal that I do not know much about and wanted to see if anyone could help me ID the type of transistors? in the circuit. Small tophat guys in the photo, I can't really decipher the coding on them with any success. Thank you.

Try cropping a clear photo of one of them, and then doing a Google image search. I've had some success with identifying electronic components this way.

Well, a google search for “transistor 309” yields nothing significant. Difficult to make out those others characters, they look Russian to me.

What’s the pedal? Maybe someone has a circuit diagram which could ID them.

Try this link.

Looks like the first 2 characters could be П which is latin for ‘P’ and 309 is a power silicone low frequency jobby.

The guy seems to know his stuff so could be worth an email if nothing else.

Try this link.

Looks like the first 2 characters could be П which is latin for ‘P’ and 309 is a power silicone low frequency jobby.

The guy seems to know his stuff so could be worth an email if nothing else.

– Deke Martin

Cyrillic, not Latin. Definitely Russian. That symbol is pi, or, for us, P.

OK, I has no quarrel with that. I speak neither Cyrillic nor Latin

I followed the link to Aleksei Pogorily's website and if I'm reading it correctly this is the spec:

Low-power NPN silicon planar transistor (currents in milliaper, power in milliwatts):

Type ~ Ie ~ Uk ~ B ~ Fmax ~ Ikmah ~ Ukmah ~ Pkmah

P309 ~ 10 ~ 20 ~ 16-50 ~ 20 ~ 30 ~ 120 ~ 250

The above info should be tabularised, but you get the idea. If you know what it all means I guess you can figure it out.

Thank you so much everyone. The Cyrillic thing clears is up. In a round about way I was contacted by the builder and learned that this was one of this very first "Super Awesome Fuzz Machine" pedals that he crafted. I had hoped to confirm the origin and type of transistor to bolster an accurate sale listing but someone realized what the pedal was and scooped it up without the need for additional info .

Thank you Deke Martin for that link as this sounds like a good contact for future electronic mysteries that bubble up.

Best wishes to everyone.

Register Sign in to join the conversation