Miscellaneous Rumbles

Things you don’t see anymore…..

This could end up being a lot of fun, hearing about, mostly from us self-appointed 'old farts', things from a by-gone era you just don't see anymore, except in the old movies.

I'll kick this off with something the young folks won't ever have seen. With the lady of the household no longer staying home with the household chores, you never see her come out mad, on the front porch or veranda with a pail of cold water and throw it on two cats fornicating on the front lawn. I'm sure a few of you can remember seeing this and nearly wetting yourself laughing at the woman's indignation!

A slide rule in actual use.

I had a peer at work who kept one in his desk because he thought it was cool (manager in IT support), but he didn't know how to use it. He pulled it out one day trying to impress me while waxing poetic about the early days of computers. I asked if he knew how to use it. He didn't - and he was positively shocked when I showed him how it works. SHOCKED. ...idiot.

Deliverymen. they used to deliver everything---coal and oil, eggs and milk and so on. That's why so many kids "looked like the milkman".

People sitting on their front porch in the evenings. In the days before TV and AC, that was how folks spent a summer evening. They had screened sleeping porches for those muggy summer nights.

Sitting around the radio. Back when radios were big floor models, the family would congregate around it to hear the news or listen to dramas or comedies. Those were the days when radio used to have more than bad music and pundits.

In cities, most folks rode streetcars instead of owning cars.

Theaters would have a new movie every week. Movies always started with the National anthem, a newsreel, "selected shorts", and a couple of cartoons. Theaters were the only places with AC, so they were popular. They only had one screen.

Guys always wore suits, ties and hats when they went out. Women dressed in kind. Nobody had tats except for sailors and ex cons.

Gas stations used to be known as service stations. Gas was 28 cents per gallon, and a guy would pump it for you, check your oil, water, and the air in your tires, as well as wash your windows. They could actually fix your car there as well. You would have to go to a store to get bread and milk, tho.

The only things open on Sunday's were churches, theaters, and Chinese restaraunts ---like in "A Christmas Story". I grew up near where that was supposed to be in Northern Indiana. Things were really like that then.

Daily life was polarized, segregated, even up North. I hardly knew anyone that wasn't Polish until I went to public high school. People drove drunk, chain smoked non filter cigs, and died young. Nostalgia isn't always what it used to be.

Deliverymen. they used to deliver everything---coal and oil, eggs and milk and so on. That's why so many kids "looked like the milkman".

People sitting on their front porch in the evenings. In the days before TV and AC, that was how folks spent a summer evening. They had screened sleeping porches for those muggy summer nights.

Sitting around the radio. Back when radios were big floor models, the family would congregate around it to hear the news or listen to dramas or comedies. Those were the days when radio used to have more than bad music and pundits.

In cities, most folks rode streetcars instead of owning cars.

Theaters would have a new movie every week. Movies always started with the National anthem, a newsreel, "selected shorts", and a couple of cartoons. Theaters were the only places with AC, so they were popular. They only had one screen.

Guys always wore suits, ties and hats when they went out. Women dressed in kind. Nobody had tats except for sailors and ex cons.

Gas stations used to be known as service stations. Gas was 28 cents per gallon, and a guy would pump it for you, check your oil, water, and the air in your tires, as well as wash your windows. They could actually fix your car there as well. You would have to go to a store to get bread and milk, tho.

The only things open on Sunday's were churches, theaters, and Chinese restaraunts ---like in "A Christmas Story". I grew up near where that was supposed to be in Northern Indiana. Things were really like that then.

Daily life was polarized, segregated, even up North. I hardly knew anyone that wasn't Polish until I went to public high school. People drove drunk, chain smoked non filter cigs, and died young. Nostalgia isn't always what it used to be.

– wabash slim

Great List!!!! I remember all of these!

I remember when I thought some of the stuff young people did was cool. I sure don't see any of that anymore.

A sickle. Or scythe.

Getting pissed off when you had to dial a phone number with more than one zero.

Kids walking together and talking to each other, boring I know. Now everyone looks like a zombie staring at their phones and hitting it with their finger.

Everybody knew everyone on the street, on the next street, and a few streets over.

This is something you don't hear and smell anymore: a naturally aspirated diesel engine.

Pay phones. Great pawn shops. Teenagers wearing their jeans with the waist ABOVE their ass. Empty freeways. Carburetors, points and condensors, although I really don't miss them. $1.99 six pack of suds. 79 cents for a quart of Penzoil. Schwinn Stingrays. The Helms Bakery truck. Cast iron lawn sprinklers that looked like animals. Sissy bars. TV without reality shows.

Getting pissed off when you had to dial a phone number with more than one zero.

– crowbone

Dial phones, attached to the wall. We were on an 8 party line---three long rings and two shorts. Had to ask some granny if we could use the phone. Phones actually rang a real bell.

T shirts before they were in color and had printing on them....with a deck of Luckies rolled up in the sleeve.

Jeans with nine belt loops. Bobby sox and saddle shoes. Huge skirts with poodle appliqués. Sharkskin suits. Engineer boots with heel plates.

Bias ply tires with inner tubes, (blowouts) , oil bath air cleaners, Crankcase breathers, three on the tree shifts, dimmer switches on the floor, vacuum wipers, AM radios with a speaker in the package deck that would fade out under a bridge, 6volt electrical systems, baby seats with a steering wheel, wing windows, hard tops, real coupes. Ramblers, Studebakers, Packards, LaSalles, Willys, Edsels, Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Hudsons, Crosleys, NSUs, DKWs, Jawas, Cushman and Alstate scooters. Triumph, BSA, Norton, Enfield, and Indian motorcycles. Passenger trains, airplanes with propellers, bikes with one speed and coaster brakes.

Coke machines with only one selection---for a nickle. Five cent candy bars and penny candy. Black and white TV. Beer for $1 a six pack. Filter cigarettes were new. Neighborhood stores, bars and such, where the owners lived upstairs or in back. Church bells you could hear all over town before they put dampers on the clappers. Sing alongs. Paperboys, kids that would shovel your walks and rake your leaves. Boy Scouts (was anyone here one? I made it to Sea Scout/Explorers) Saying Sir and Ma'am?

Jeez. I am old. Now get off of my lawn.

Goin' down in the Basement and watching my Dad throw a shovel full of Coal into the Furnace and moving the Ash Can fulla Clinkers outta the way while my Mom runs clothes from the washing machine thru the wringer to get most of the water out before hanging the clothes outside.

Goin' up stairs to see if "Charlie" the Horse pulled the Sealtest Milk Wagon by our House. Then watchin' my Mom mix that little orange nugget into the Artificial Butter.

Turnin' on our brand new TV set and watching the Test Pattern go from all cobblywob to finally straight and true and listening for the Tone in the background to turn into actual music so we know that real soon a program might actually begin!

Goin' out in the street to get a shard of Ice that may have fallen from the Ice delivery truck for our next door neighbors ice box.

Thankin' our Mom for giving my little Brother and I each a Quarter to go to the Show. 14 cents to get in and 11 cents left for enough candy to get thru the next four or five hours till we can finally say "This is where we came in"!

On the way home we can hear "The Sheeny Man" blowing his horn while his horse pulls his wagon thru the Alleys looking for stuff to buy. Across the Street is the rare Police Officer walking his Beat thru our Neighborhood whistling away while swinging his Night Stick with all the precision of a drill team swinging their Rifles in a Military Parade!

Getting home and finding we had a "Long Distance" phone call from our Aunt 350 miles away and listening to my Dad hollering into the phone so that my Aunt and everyone else on her Party Line can catch most every word while I'm looking at the rain outside hoping the storm drains back up and the street corner turns into a "Swimming Pool" for all us kids in the Neighborhood!

Codpieces, jherkins or doublets. Hoopskirts. Men drawing swords and fighting to the death over a real or imagined slight. Thousands of people dead or dying of ye Black Plaggue. Drawing and quartering as an acceptable form of punishment. Horse drawn carriages (and the resulting "pollution" in the streets). Cobblestones. Chamber pots. Public executions. The Spanish Inquisition.

Egads, Parabar, and I thought that I was old.

Give him the.....comfy cushion!

If drawing and quartering was still an acceptable punishment, maybe we wouldn't have idiots shooting up schools, theaters and churches.

Nobody said this thread had to be about our current incarnations!

The formal wedding-"White Shotgun".

Phone booths and pay phones are practically extinct.--related-- rotary dial phones are all but extinct as well.

Neighborhood streets lined with massive Elm trees--- Elms were ubiquitous in this country, and were a very common shade tree in neighborhoods and along boulevards... by the end of the 20th century, dutch elm disease had all but wiped them out.

DDT sprayer trucks driving through neighborhoods in the summertime.

Genuine Drugstore soda fountains.

Red LED digital watches and calculators.

Breakfast cereals with the word "SUGAR" in the product name-- even though they still contain the same amount of said substance, or worse, GMO corn syrup solids.

Cigarette advertisements of any kind.

Haberdasheries.

Typewriters in use-- especially manual typewriters.

Honest-to-God Statesmen... they've all been replaced by pandering politicians seeking perpetual re-election.

Kids playing outside, anywhere in the neighborhood.

Toys with small parts, without cautionary or "hold harmless" warning labels.-- for that matter, ANYTHING without a warning label is pretty non-existent in our ultra-litigious society-- especially cups of coffee from McDonalds.

Cartoons that aren't simply a shill for selling some sort of merchandise.

handwritten, mailed personal correspondence (letters).

Vehicles that can function without some sore of OBD computer assistance.

fallout shelters

neighborhood Civil Defense captains

Viewmasters

computer data punch-cards

soooo much more to list, that's just off the top of my head.

There is something I can't see without the use of a mirror anymore.

My feet. HA HA!

Audio cassettes. And I've never missed them.

I still remember folks in Texas thinking it was a right to have an open container or several in a vehicle, preferably Jax or Pearl, and the open display of fire arms in racks in the back window of pickup trucks.

We never had soft drinks in the "icebox". They were a treat reserved for Hot Friday nights on the porch. My dad would go to the local Cabell's (Dallas "local" similar to 7-11) and buy vanilla ice cream and an assortment of "Woozie" brand soft drinks, making sure we didn't break the bottle so he could get his 2 cents back!!. We would make floats on the front porch and fight the mosquito's and June bugs, and fire flies for our treat.

The Aluminum Christmas Tree with rotating color light wheel off to the side... Mom HAD to have one.

The 1953 Nash Rambler that saved our lives when we got t-boned by a Pontiac...And the Metropolitan that my Mom HAD to have later.

And getting out of church on a Sunday mid-morning and watch all the brothers and sisters gossip and smoke on the church grounds, I was like... wait!?!?!?

Running boards on cars

– Gretschbo

VW Beetles and Chevy HHRs have them.

VW Beetles and Chevy HHRs have them.

– wabash slim

HHRs don't have them as standard equipment... But some PT Cruisers do.

Register Sign in to join the conversation