The Workbench

Toothpaste!!!!!

my guitars sometimes get neglected and go back in the case after being ridden hard. i've noticed a build up of tarnish on the hardware. Normally i would use Silvo to clean that stuff but i was concerned that it would take the gold off the hardware. Crest toothpaste works the treat!!!!! super shiny, no deterioration of the gold and it smells like mint now!!!!

I’ve worked with model makers who knew which brands of toothpaste to use in successive order, more abrasive to less, to polish plastics. (But I never tried it on a guitar.)

I don't want to know how you figured this out. I hope you gargled thoroughly after the Silvo.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm using toothpaste from now on!

You can use toothpaste to clear up frosted headlights. Toothpaste has a mild abrasive in it. 4 out of 5 dentists recommend it.

It also keeps cavities from forming. Thanks for using Crest, by the way---invented by Indiana Uni School of Dentistry.

Dentists do NOT, however, recommend flossing with old guitar strings!

Next I’m trying mouthwash as a string cleaner!!!!!

Dan Armstrong used to recommend toothpaste for removing scratches on their Plexiglass guitars.

Cigar ashes make for a super fine abrasive as well !

Years back I used to use "Pearl Drops" brand to put on model railroad gears in locos. It had very fine abrasive properties.

Some loco brands had gears that were "so so" and had a lot of flash.

Run the loco each direction for about an hour, disassemble, clean, lube, and they ran smoothly and quiet.

I can see using it to polish various things on a guitar.

Do some research on fluoride, you need to use something more cork snifferish than “Crest!”

Do some research on fluoride, you need to use something more cork snifferish than “Crest!”

– Hipbone

Fluoride is bad for polyurethane?

Pipe smokers have long used toothpaste to polish the black hard rubber stems on tobacco pipes. I've known guy that used it to polish frets (tooth powder). As Opie mentioned, cigar ash is a fine abrasive as well, I've used it to polish various metallic items.

Amazing what people will discover as alternative uses for household products. I suppose it's a good thing that Preparation H does not have abrasive properties...

Amazing what people will discover as alternative uses for household products. I suppose it's a good thing that Preparation H does not have abrasive properties...

– Tartan Phantom

But it does reduce bags under the eyes and facial lines! Lol

– Tartan Phantom

I have regularly done bluegrass festivals the last 15 years or so. It usually results in binge playing in the campground. Sometimes, more than the more playing than total time between festivals. Sore fingers result.

Preparation H can numb your fingers enough to get you through the 2nd night and some times through the 3rd. This was not my idea, but it works. It was suggested to by a rabid bluegrass double bass campground jammer.

By the way, I recommend direct application from tube.

Lee

It was suggested to by a rabid bluegrass double bass campground jammer.

I wonder how he found out it worked. I've always had my suspicions about rabid bluegrass bass players. It's their appetite and enthusiasm for 1 & 5. The idle mind is the devil's playground.

Fluoride is bad for polyurethane?

– paul pigat

"Purity of essence" and all that. Everything changed in this country once they started adding chemicals to the water.

It was suggested to by a rabid bluegrass double bass campground jammer.

I wonder how he found out it worked. I've always had my suspicions about rabid bluegrass bass players. It's their appetite and enthusiasm for 1 & 5. The idle mind is the devil's playground.

– Proteus

It was suggested by how she found out. She had some family and in-laws in the local bluegrass scene.

Lee

Register Sign in to join the conversation