General tech questions

TonePros “Roller Bridge”?

Has anyone tried one of these bridges? It seems like it would be a good mate to a Bigsby-equipped Gretsch. The specific model is the TP6R. Here's the skinny:

"TonePros announces the introduction of the new "TonePros Roller Series" of bridges. These new bridges provide superior performance on trem equipped guitars such as Bigsby and others. The TonePros patented system locks the bridge solidly in place, which allows for the strings to return exactly in tune when trem'ed. Bigsby users will love this newest TonePros item, as it will allow them to use their trem often without the worry of going out of tune."

I dunno....I am always worried about a rollers tendency to rattle. I much prefer a rocking bar bridge, but maybe rollers are getting better.

It's just so many moving parts! If they were one or three barrel rollers, I might be more inclined to try rollers again.

I'm currently using this bridge on my Black DSV and it works great! The intonation is spot on and it doesn't rattle. I have a Tru-Arc that I love the sound but having some set up & intonation issues I'm trying to work out. You can't go wrong with the TonePros roller bridge it works extremely well!

UD (Uncle Don)

I'm currently using this bridge on my Black DSV and it works great! The intonation is spot on and it doesn't rattle. I have a Tru-Arc that I love the sound but having some set up & intonation issues I'm trying to work out. You can't go wrong with the TonePros roller bridge it works extremely well!

UD (Uncle Don)

– UD

UD (Uncle Don)

– UD

That's good to hear. In my case, the only potential issue may be the radius. The TonePro roller bridge would be for an SSLVO, which has the 9.5" radius, and not the more common 12" fretboard radius (which is the radius of this TonePro bridge). Wondering if that would matter.

I'd be interested in trying one of these out. I've yet to find a roller that was up to snuff. Coming from tone pros, I give it half a chance.
The biggest issue with rollers is the number of contact points & the loss between each of them. In general, a bar bridge has a huge surface,bridge to the thumbwheels, thumbwheels to the post, post to the bridge & bridge to the guitar. With rollers you had a lot more contact points, some of them pretty small. I'm not going to say it can't work, maybe they've figured something out. That would be awesome! Otherwise, it's back to proper grooming of the string slots.

The TonePros bridge I have is for a 12" radius and it fit on the stock Gretsch base. I haven't encountered any buzzing or rattling and I use fairly light strings (D'Addario 10-46) and it works very well with the Bigsby. I could be wrong but I would think TonePros makes a roller bridge for a 9" radius? Darren Riley carries TonePros I would call and ask ?

UD (Uncle Don)

While I haven't tried this exact model I've tried one very similar in the past, one that also had set screws to lock it all in place. My biggest complaint is that the rollers themselves have the same size groove across the from E to E, and we all know the strings aren't the same size! I use .10's and the low E was large enough that it sat on the roller rather than in it. Thus, I had issues with the E string popping out of it's roller during "spirited" play. This happened enough times for me to shelve the bridge and replace it with a bar bridge. Look at the photo and you can see the rollers are all the same.

I dunno, I'm over the whole roller bridge hype. They're kind of gimmicky, and create problems that were never there in the first place. If it were me and I just had to have a roller bridge, I'd spring for a Gretsch Space Control bridge before I put one of these on there.

JMO.

Slight de-rail, feel free to ignore: Space control bridges roll? Would they fit on a LP?

Slight de-rail, feel free to ignore: Space control bridges roll? Would they fit on a LP?

– spleen138

– spleen138

I just measured the Space Control on my Annie, and post to post is 2-29/32" and the post holes measure just under 3/16" which means it'd probably fit the small threaded posts on a LP but not the larger types. Hope that helps.

Unless you know the difference the space control and a roller bridge are two completely different animals? Please understand they are not the same and do not function in the same manner. Just a heads up?

UD (Uncle Don)

Unless you know the difference the space control and a roller bridge are two completely different animals? Please understand they are not the same and do not function in the same manner. Just a heads up?

UD (Uncle Don)

– UD

UD (Uncle Don)

– UD

Yes, I realize that they aren't the same, but a space control still has "rollers" and while they aren't adjustable for intonation they're still pretty functional in their own right. Merely another bridge option for the OP's roller bridge needs. Not that any guitar really needs a roller bridge...

They have been problematic in some applications, but on a strat type trem bridge I have on a home built parts-o-caster, they are part of a 3 pronged attack I used to have a strat trem stay in tune. it worked. they are locking tuners, a tru-trem spring loaded device designed to return the trem from whence it came, and roller saddles on a wilkinson trem. I'm not saying its the best, or cheapest, but it keeps er in tune-and not just for bigs-by style bends, which are pretty tame in the trem world, but actual dive bombs will still return to tune should you wish. I think the rollers contribute to the extreme sensitivity of this trem, which needs only a touch to accomplish what I need out of it, most of the time Geoff ps- FOUR PRONGED ATTACK I used...sorry-a graph tech nut....

I can only say that in my experience with the TonePros roller bridge I have had no significant problems with strings popping out of the rollers. I have the same bridge on my Gibson ES-335 w/B7 Bigsby and my Black Gretsch 6120 DSV both with .10-.46 strings. Tunomatics have been a complete pain in the ass on both guitars. I am still trying to make my Tru-Arc Al-120 to work on my Gretsch but so far I have been unsuccessful because I can't work out the intonation issues? I owned a Gretsch 1960 reissue that came with a stock space control bridge that was a complete tone sucker and made all kinds of noise? Is a roller bridge for everyone probably not..but in my case they work great!

Thanks

UD (Uncle Don)

keep away from that, that rattles!! like the Gretsch ones, IMO it is not a good design or bridge system

Register Sign in to join the conversation