Other Equipment

Brain Seltzer Clone - Kit

This is really just a collection of parts to build an existing layout. If I recall the freestompboxes thread, the tracer didn't have the most up to date schematic for this pedal (I think it was long enough ago that it didn't have the "dyno" mods). So it might be fair to say that that kit will build a decent opamp booster, but it won't have the "magic" of the Dyno-Brain. I think it's also fair to say that anyone building from tagboardeffects layouts isn't taking any business away from Tavo.

It's also worth noting these kits and layout have been available for almost 5 years.

I've bought one kit and a echo kit .Both don't work and if you have a look at the faq, I'm not the only one BTW: I have a colasparkle Brain Seltzer and a custom sparkle dyno brain.The idea was to couple them like Tavo does much later with the Mystery Brain.

Deleted my post. I deeply apologize for any problems that may have been occured. Like I said, it was never my intention to piss on someones door. I just wanted to inform about what I've found. I did never see it before and was googling for "Nocturne Brain pedals signal chain"...

So Tavo again, I'm sorry and didnt wanted to upset you!

Nocturne rules ok!

Deleted my post. I deeply apologize for any problems that may have been occured. Like I said, it was never my intention to piss on someones door. I just wanted to inform about what I've found. I did never see it before and was googling for "Nocturne Brain pedals signal chain"...

So Tavo again, I'm sorry and didnt wanted to upset you!

Nocturne rules ok!

– ChimingBell

I like making pedals but there are some I will not make even though the circuits are out there. Tavo's pedals are amongst those I will not build. I rarely sell pedals anyway, but it just seems wrong. But for some reason it doesn't seem wrong to build my own version of a Big Muff! Yes, I don't use logic.

I build my versions of Fender amps and Marshall amps, and they are always different enough that they don't sound exactly like anything those companies ever made. Oh, except one '68 50W plexi head I made - but then you can't go out and buy a real '68 plexi from Marshall these days. And my favourite pedals might be based on someone else's design but never end up sounding anything like the original.

It's a difficult issue, morally. Most pedals, amps and guitars are based on things which have been built before. Even the Brain pedals are based on Roland preamps, although you can't actually buy a Roland preamp in a convenient pedal format. So I always try to change things around - sometimes so that I'm not just cloning but usually because, as with Tavo and the Brain, I find I can "improve" the design for my own use.

Right now my favourite overdrive is based on a BJF Honey Bee, which is a good pedal but not really my kind of thing. However I found that if you change a few things, swap the tone pot for a separate bass and treble controls, swap some diodes... you can end up with a great overdrive which sounds nothing like a Honey Bee. I suspect this is how a lot of pedals are "invented".

But when do you stop being a cloner and become a designer? When is it ok to copy a design and when is it not ok? Why is it ok to sell a copy of a Big Muff but not a Timmy? I don't know, so avoid selling my pedals unless they are significantly different from anything anyone else has built. Then becomes the issue - how different does it have to be?

Register Sign in to join the conversation