General tech questions

Thoughts on stainless steel Melita saddles?

Hi guys, I've mulled over getting an Embie bridge for my 6136DS White Falcon for a while and I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one. Hoping to get your valuable feedback on saddle materials.

I've got a stainless steel Tru-Arc on another guitar (5127) and I love the tone and sustain. Does it follow that stainless steel Melita saddles would produce similar qualities on my Falcon?

You could reasonably say that the best way to reproduce the tone of a stainless Tru Arc for my Falcon would be to simply get another one. Unfortunately, this straightforward logic doesn't work for me - I've come to love the look and feel of the Melita and am just trying to enhance the tone and sustain.

Any thoughts/opinions you could share would be very welcome!

Billy Zoom swears by Melita bridges,not so sure about the Embie's. The Guy has a little bit of pull around here, so You might be on the right track obtaining one for yourself. Theres a Thread here somewhere where He discusses them.

I have made a aluminum bar bridge myself for my Falcon. It worked well, but I did not like the tone of aluminum.

I made some brass saddles myself and they work well, but I did not experienced much difference tonewise. Just a tad more sustain.

I concluded Billy Zoom 's right for the original plastic saddles.

I have been looking at the Embie bridge for my 6136DS Falcon and I'm asking myself the same question, what material saddles would improve the sound of the guitar. I love the look of the Melita/Embie and would like to keep it the same. Also want to try the flat head screws to make it easier to palm mute the strings. Embie offers: Delrin, Bakelite, buffalo horn, cow bone, ebony, rosewood, aluminum, bronze and stainless steel saddles. I'm leaning towards stainless steel but would also like to hear your thoughts/opinions. I'll be following this thread.

I put aluminum Embie saddles in the SyncroSonic/Melita bridge on my Duo Jet, as well as their flat saddle screws. +1 for sure on the screws - huge improvement in palm comfort IMO. I'm not discerning a big tonal difference in the new saddles, though; I don't think there's enough mass involved to effect a huge change, but I didn't spend a lot of time with the original plastic(?) ones...YMMV, I would defer to those with more experience with them.

my friend Tommy Harkenrider put the steel saddles in his embie, impressed me enough to order brass saddles for my melita and dump the plastic ones, also got w flathead screws to boot.

Thanks for the input, guys - was optimistically hoping that someone would say "yeah, stainless Melita saddles sound just like bar bridges!" but it's obviously a much more subtle and subjective matter than that.

It's just a frustration to read verbal descriptions of how the saddle materials sound... Words like "crisp," "twangy" and "bright" tend to get tossed around a lot and have practically no meaning without hearing any direct A/B comparisons. It appears that Tavo's had an opportunity to try 'em all out and was suitably impressed with stainless and brass, so that's very helpful to know.

In my personal experience with Tru Arc bar bridges, I've found that stainless and brass sound drastically different - the brass is noticeably darker. Is this something any of you have found as well? Having said that, to Michael Fried's point, on a Melita-style bridge the saddle's mass may not be significant enough for any noticeable tonal differences between the two metals anyway.

Who the hell knows.

And Mike2000 - don't hesitate to get the flat head screws, they are an absolute must, IMHO. As much as I love the look of Melitas, I don't think I'd be able to tolerate using one if I hadn't been able to ditch the thumb screws.

I still have hundreds of these screws in stainless steel.

Hey Itchin For Gretschin, I eventually will get a set of the flat head screws. 'till now I've always worked around the bulky thumb screws. The Falcon has mostly been a back up guitar so it hasn't been really necessary to have it set up as comfortable as I would like it. First thing will be a couple of Tru Arcs for my other guitars. While gathering info on these I stumbled on the Embie and started looking into that for the Falcon.

Here's a question: Is there a noticeable difference between a stock Gretsch Synchrosonic bridge and an EmbieMatic? This is what they say themselves: Embie-Matic Archtop Base is an improved version of the standard Gretsch and Melita self-conforming archtop base, with tighter tolerances and finer hardware. Has anybody experienced this?

I haven't tried any of the metal saddles and I too liked the plastic saddles but one of my originals was a touch undercut and it rattled so after talking with Mat he sent me a set of bone that I love.A frazzle brighter than the stockers with a little more sustain I think but not overly bright as such in the metallic range which was something I was trying to avoid myself.

I haven't tried any of the metal saddles and I too liked the plastic saddles but one of my originals was a touch undercut and it rattled so after talking with Mat he sent me a set of bone that I love.A frazzle brighter than the stockers with a little more sustain I think but not overly bright as such in the metallic range which was something I was trying to avoid myself.

– Michael Williams

Oh he is getting fancy these days.. how about buffalo horn saddles?

embieconcepts: This special order Embie-Matic bridge assembly features a 12" radius rosewood bridge body with buffalo horn saddles, Naval Brass hardware and our Melita style self-conforming archtop base.

..and

ebony w rosewood!!!!... (screams like a girl)

How many of you actually have a Melita bridge and have tried and compared different materials on it? I see all of these different solutions, but I've never noticed the problem they're supposed to solve.

Oh he is getting fancy these days.. how about buffalo horn saddles?

embieconcepts: This special order Embie-Matic bridge assembly features a 12" radius rosewood bridge body with buffalo horn saddles, Naval Brass hardware and our Melita style self-conforming archtop base.

..and

ebony w rosewood!!!!... (screams like a girl)

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

WOW !!! Those are sweeet! Literally small,handheld wood works of art right there.

How many of you actually have a Melita bridge and have tried and compared different materials on it? I see all of these different solutions, but I've never noticed the problem they're supposed to solve.

– Billy Zoom

I haven't tried these saddle swaps, but I once let the Melita haters get into my head and decided I had to upgrade. First to Bigsby, then Tru-Arc. I went back to the original Melita (in this case the early black plastic version, no less). I came to the conclusion that there's simply nothing wrong with the original Melita formula - plastic saddles, plastic base, even with a plastic body.

Apparently cause someone, somewhere on the webs said plastic 'sucks the tone' right outta your machine man and thus another reason to invent and slice in on the ever so growing and endless desire to mod everything guitar and amp related. Myself ,I just needed a replacement for one saddle that was miscut or something that came in mine. I too tried every other bridge on my Penguin only to go right back to the Melita.And one of these would be sweet on my new 6120. I'm on your side BZ,,,Melita bridges rulz :)

Well, when I first got my Duo Jet I liked the Syncro-sonic bridge and used it for a while but realized some high end and some sustain were missing compared to my other guitars. When I first put a tuneomatic on it the tone and sustain improved to my ears. To make sure I put the Syncro-sonic back on it and concluded I liked the tuneomatic better. Recently as an experiment I got an aluminum Tru-Arc Serpentune and I like it the best for my Duo Jet.

I will try the Syncro-sonic again hopefully this weekend though. Threads like this are hard to ignore!

I installed the Melita Syncro-sonic bridge on my Duo Jet again this weekend and yes there is a signature tone that is great. It's warm and there is a pleasing mid range overtone that this bridge brings out which I believe is what Billy Zoom is referring to as its signature sound. It also feels good to play the guitar with this bridge on it and I notice I play differently. However, the attack is weaker and the sustain is decreased from the aluminum Tru-Arc Serpentune bridge. While still being all Gretsch, with the Melita bridge the Duo Jet sways more towards a Gibson Les Paul tone territory while the Serpentune sways more towards a Fender Telecaster tone territory. As of today I still prefer the Tru-Arc Serpentune. The Melita bride does not buzz though compared to the Gotoh Adjustomatic I previously used.

Since I have both bridges it will be fun to have these two options available for this one guitar when recording.

Apparently cause someone, somewhere on the webs said plastic 'sucks the tone' right outta your machine man and thus another reason to invent and slice in on the ever so growing and endless desire to mod everything guitar and amp related. Myself ,I just needed a replacement for one saddle that was miscut or something that came in mine. I too tried every other bridge on my Penguin only to go right back to the Melita.And one of these would be sweet on my new 6120. I'm on your side BZ,,,Melita bridges rulz :)

– Michael Williams

have you tried bone saddles?

have you tried bone saddles?

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™ (actually loves hippies)

Yes sir,got'em in my Penguin ;)

Yes sir,got'em in my Penguin ;)

– Michael Williams

Do these have a noticeable tone difference in comparison to the stock plastic saddles?

I think they do,not a lot but a little brighter....clear but minus the metallic overtone.

I just noticed this on Scotty's website.

Register Sign in to join the conversation