The Workbench

This is on one of the benches.

The paint chipping has been a chronic problem on this guitar. It turns out half the fretboard lost contact with the neck. I'm still working on it and I will update on the site when I can.

https://www.oldschoolguitar...

I'm always amazed at how easy you make this all look.

I'm always amazed at how easy you make this all look.

– Suprdave

Have you tried it? It is easy, really.

Have you tried it? It is easy, really. Curt Wilson

Curt, that's easy for you to say, brother! We all have skills that are easy for us, but befuddle others. Don't sell yourself short, you are a master craftsman, second to none in Luthiery.

I used to run large 4 and 5 color (CMYK) printing presses. It was a mixture of art and science, that included a whole bag of skill sets. Printer's ink is nothing more than a Linseed oil based paint, and a printing press is a painting machine. Running any printing press is more than just a job, it's a trade that can take years to master.

While it became second nature for me, there were many people who could not produce consistent quality work, even after learning all the necessary steps. It was necessary to be able to think on the fly, anticipating potential problems, before they happened. I imagine that it is much the same in your line of work, Curt, as it is in all of the trades.

– Curt Wilson

Mozart said to Salieri.

I'm wondering why this would happen.

Was the fretboard improperly glued at the factory? Or did the glue simply deteriorate over time?

I'm wondering why this would happen.

Was the fretboard improperly glued at the factory? Or did the glue simply deteriorate over time?

– geoguy

Not sure, possibly a small gap then add 50 years of finger funk and you have this.

Under tension the fretboard has tension on it from string pressure and it’s not noticeable. Remove the strings and it was pretty loose in the middle and locked in on both ends.

I agree with Curt. Scary at first, but really not that hard at all.

Here's one I did last week - with apologies for the non-Gretsch content

I think I understand you Curt- the fingerboard is adhered to the flat neck so when the strings are on and neck relief further added by the truss rod there is longitudinal pressure at either end of the fingerboard and tension in the centre which will tend to want to pull it away over time. As you say, a little seam opening in that area will be weakened by (and I hate to say this for it sounds awful!) human excretions which act as solvents over time.

For the ultimate example of the full effect of corrosive entropy see Billy D Light's Guild!

Keep your instruments clean, folks. Good for your health, and your guitar's.

Shuggie, just as an aside I subscribed to your Tone Twins channel. Best wishes for success- very thorough content with nice production values. Momentum may take a little time, but continued high standards and persistence will pay off.

– Curt Wilson

Taking things apart can be easy. Putting things back together though, even knowing how it should be done, can be quite the challenge...

Thanks Ade, greatly appreciate you subscribing and fingers crossed we'll build a bit of momentum.

Either way, those vids are fun to make and I promise there will be some Gretsch content before too long

Register Sign in to join the conversation