General tech questions

The Gold is gone

Got a great deal on a new uninstalled B6C Bigsby with Chet Arm. But it was Gold. So a little bit of Brasso and elbow grease and the gold was gone. Next plans: Change out the hinge with my B6 licensed bigsby to avoid drilling new holes when installing on the Gretsch.

So... Anyone needs an unused Chet wire arm in gold ? I'm reusing the other arm

Perhaps you could start another thread offering the Chet arm?

I could use that arm for my '98 6120. What are you asking for it?

Hi dave PM me and we make it out... Trades prefered since I don't use PayPal at all Cheers

Nothing recieved... PM seems to be down again? Try mailing me directly f DOT tippner @ gmx DOT at

Surgery successfull

Changing the hinge was a piece of cake

Are there any scratches or anything left behind after removing the gold? What metal is below the gold?

I would think Ni. You can't plate gold over chrome.

Yeah looks nickel to me. Scratches can be avoid by using a soft rag- which also means that you have to work harder/longer on it. I didnt mind a few scratches/relicing. I want the job to be done. I used this from the kitchen (both sides) with an Alu/Chrome polish from the car

– ChimingBell

What was the process for removing the hinge pin ? I'm guessing a punch. I'm glad the sized matched.

I was in Navy JROTC for a while and they issued "brass" belt buckles. We were told to use brasso on them and by the end of the year they were a shiny silver.

Any of us old timers that are veterans know Brasso well.

What was the process for removing the hinge pin ? I'm guessing a punch. I'm glad the sized matched.

– Lou574

Removing the hinge pin was easy. I used a long and thin screw/thick nail that fits the hole and yanked it out with a hammer. Very soft, controlled force necessary. But it goes out easy and quick. Then change out the hinge and reuse the pin.

Removing the hinge pin was easy. I used a long and thin screw/thick nail that fits the hole and yanked it out with a hammer. Very soft, controlled force necessary. But it goes out easy and quick. Then change out the hinge and reuse the pin.

– ChimingBell

I'm reading about problems people have reshaping the mushroom end, to keep it in place. I really don't care about drilling new holes. The thing l care about is any of the old holes showing. Bigsby, who l don't really care for as a company, should just offer both hinge options. They know people have pro line and Electromatic. We're going nuts doing this stuff, and they do nothing.

Register Sign in to join the conversation