The Workbench

Tele with Gretsch style pickguard

I've always wanted a Tele with a Gretsch style pickguard (clear plastic, painting on the back). Searched the web and couldn't find any examples....so... I figured I'm borered and need something to do...

Started with a 90s' Mexican Squier - my very first Tele. Bought it used for $200 - it came with a Pearloid guard. I've never cared about aesthetics with this guitar (Its a quite a frankenbeast) but I need a project....

Started out doing tests on scrap plastic and spray paint - I decided Gretsch Gold (on my 6120) was the way to go, so I tried to match that within reason.

this was the best match to my 6120D DSW pickguard.

the color might be slightly warmer, but man - it's a pretty good match...

bought a tele guard off of Reverb - a really cheap Chinese made clear plastic one - expecting the holes to be off. They were close. close enough.

a few light coates utill it was no longer transparent

I did put clear coat on the back (several coats) to protect if from future scratches. I didn't yet clean up all the overspray on the beveled edges. BUt I'm super happy. Its the pickguard this guitar has always wanted. I swear it sounds better. I'm kidding (or am I?)....

That’s a real zinger. What’s the layout of the switching system? That’s interesting, also.

That really works!

That’s a real zinger. What’s the layout of the switching system? That’s interesting, also.

– Troy6120

My question too... what's this crazed switching setup

I did put clear coat on the back (several coats) to protect if from future scratches. I didn't yet clean up all the overspray on the beveled edges. BUt I'm super happy. Its the pickguard this guitar has always wanted. I swear it sounds better. I'm kidding (or am I?)....

– Brian Blaut

Hi Brian, Nice job. I have a butterscotch blonde MIM Tele. The only thing I didn’t like was the bridge. So I bought a six string bridge and had my tech install it and do a set up. It now plays as good as my old MIA did. It made a very big difference. just a suggestion. Jay

Turned out great!

I'd like to know about the switching setup as well.

That looks great! I suspect it might look less good on a butterscotch Tele but you judged it perfectly with your Tele.

– Troy6120

It’s from awesome-guitars.com

it’s basically on off switches for each pickup with phase options. I use it as you might a 4 way switch- with the added humbucker setting. Oh- and it’s solderless- this is my Frankentester guitar. I’m always checkin out pickups in it and want to not have to solder every time.

"Hi Brian, Nice job. I have a butterscotch blonde MIM Tele. The only thing I didn’t like was the bridge. So I bought a six string bridge and had my tech install it and do a set up. It now plays as good as my old MIA did. It made a very big difference. just a suggestion. Jay"

Thanks! Sounds like yours is a player. I’m a sucker for the vintage ashtray. You can still see the he holes from the original modern bridge. One thing I love about teles- so many ways to change em up.

Btw- this Weird tele has always been a top loader. I don’t mind though.

"I like what you did, I have an anodized gold colored one on my white Tele, but I would probably like the way yours feels better on the fingertips!!!

https://i.imgur.com/pxKeaZB... "

Looks great. Same basic idea!

That looks really nice!

Register Sign in to join the conversation