The Workbench

Tele scratch build thread

I love the grain on this wood.

– BuddyHollywood

Yes, me too! It's a shame I'm gonna paint it a solid color now haha... Especially after al the time I spent expecting to see the grain. I did have my heart set on green so I picked this color, which I really like but some testing will be done to make sure. I'll be making test pieces after the weekend.

I know you can't judge a paint color from a screen (unless it's calibrated) but you get the idea.

Well at least it's a cool color! I'm guessing it's similar to the Chris Cornell ES 335.

Yes, me too! It's a shame I'm gonna paint it a solid color now haha... Especially after al the time I spent expecting to see the grain. I did have my heart set on green so I picked this color, which I really like but some testing will be done to make sure. I'll be making test pieces after the weekend.

I know you can't judge a paint color from a screen (unless it's calibrated) but you get the idea.

– Mike2000

My screen is calibrated and this is about 700% better than your first ideas.....

My screen is calibrated and this is about 700% better than your first ideas.....

– Danman

Haha, somehow I knew you would feel this way!

But still, I will build a translucent green Tele someday!

That's a great colour choice. I always wanted a dark rosewood board Strat or a Jazzmaster like that.

I painted two walls in my living room with almost that color. Nothing wrong with it.

Haha, somehow I knew you would feel this way!

But still, I will build a translucent green Tele someday!

– Mike2000

Ha ha, someday? Well then there is plenty of time to talk you out of it....

Thanks all! Yes, I think it's a great color too! I'm still working on the body, making it dead flat. When that's done I'll do some tests with the paint on some scrap wood. Hopefully this will turn out the way I want it.

Danman, it's gonna happen haha!

Yeah it’d be a shame to cover that grain,especially those spear looking grains coming off the cutaway,center and upper bout. Would the stain not be uniform across it now that you’re grain filling or would it not hold any stain at all after grain filling?Green top and brown sides,back will be killer!

Yeah it’d be a shame to cover that grain,especially those spear looking grains coming off the cutaway,center and upper bout. Would the stain not be uniform across it now that you’re grain filling or would it not hold any stain at all after grain filling?Green top and brown sides,back will be killer!

– Michael Williams

Haha, oh well, there will be a see through-green Tele build someday! For now, to keep the project moving I've decided on the Olive drab green, if the tests come out okay that is. The brown back and sides will be see through though!

The stain won't hold after grain filling, I tried that.

The body is now almost ready for primer!

Haha, oh well, there will be a see through-green Tele build someday! For now, to keep the project moving I've decided on the Olive drab green, if the tests come out okay that is. The brown back and sides will be see through though!

The stain won't hold after grain filling, I tried that.

The body is now almost ready for primer!

– Mike2000

Ok,I gotcha now.I‘m excited to see it myself,especially with the brown back and sides.

Register Sign in to join the conversation