The Workbench

Tele scratch build thread FINISHED! Added pictures!

I love the grain on this wood.

– BuddyHollywood

Yes, me too! It's a shame I'm gonna paint it a solid color now haha... Especially after al the time I spent expecting to see the grain. I did have my heart set on green so I picked this color, which I really like but some testing will be done to make sure. I'll be making test pieces after the weekend.

I know you can't judge a paint color from a screen (unless it's calibrated) but you get the idea.

Well at least it's a cool color! I'm guessing it's similar to the Chris Cornell ES 335.

Yes, me too! It's a shame I'm gonna paint it a solid color now haha... Especially after al the time I spent expecting to see the grain. I did have my heart set on green so I picked this color, which I really like but some testing will be done to make sure. I'll be making test pieces after the weekend.

I know you can't judge a paint color from a screen (unless it's calibrated) but you get the idea.

– Mike2000

My screen is calibrated and this is about 700% better than your first ideas.....

My screen is calibrated and this is about 700% better than your first ideas.....

– Danman

Haha, somehow I knew you would feel this way!

But still, I will build a translucent green Tele someday!

That's a great colour choice. I always wanted a dark rosewood board Strat or a Jazzmaster like that.

I painted two walls in my living room with almost that color. Nothing wrong with it.

Haha, somehow I knew you would feel this way!

But still, I will build a translucent green Tele someday!

– Mike2000

Ha ha, someday? Well then there is plenty of time to talk you out of it....

Thanks all! Yes, I think it's a great color too! I'm still working on the body, making it dead flat. When that's done I'll do some tests with the paint on some scrap wood. Hopefully this will turn out the way I want it.

Danman, it's gonna happen haha!

Yeah it’d be a shame to cover that grain,especially those spear looking grains coming off the cutaway,center and upper bout. Would the stain not be uniform across it now that you’re grain filling or would it not hold any stain at all after grain filling?Green top and brown sides,back will be killer!

Yeah it’d be a shame to cover that grain,especially those spear looking grains coming off the cutaway,center and upper bout. Would the stain not be uniform across it now that you’re grain filling or would it not hold any stain at all after grain filling?Green top and brown sides,back will be killer!

– Michael Williams

Haha, oh well, there will be a see through-green Tele build someday! For now, to keep the project moving I've decided on the Olive drab green, if the tests come out okay that is. The brown back and sides will be see through though!

The stain won't hold after grain filling, I tried that.

The body is now almost ready for primer!

Haha, oh well, there will be a see through-green Tele build someday! For now, to keep the project moving I've decided on the Olive drab green, if the tests come out okay that is. The brown back and sides will be see through though!

The stain won't hold after grain filling, I tried that.

The body is now almost ready for primer!

– Mike2000

Ok,I gotcha now.I‘m excited to see it myself,especially with the brown back and sides.

Hey there! Well, it's been a while haha. Life has taken a somewhat unexpected turn the last couple of months where we decided to sell our house and try find a new place to live. There were (and still are) lots of challenges and chores to be done to get the house ready to put it on the market. This also means we have to de-clutter and de-personalize the house so the realtor can make professional magazine worthy photo's. So I'll need to find a place to store my guitars and amps and also have to start sorting and packing all my tools and other stuff.

Long story short, the only progress I made is putting a piece of binding on a testblock for testing the lacquer and sanding the neck with 800 grit. I was hoping to put on some lacquer in between my chores but we also got a heatwave here so the spraying conditions were far from perfect. I hope I'll be able to start spraying soon if the temperature and humidity are okay.

Proof of the tiny bit of progress:

Yay! Another small update in between my chores... The grain filler went over the edges in the neckpocket making it too tight so the neck didn't fit anymore. I put some 240 grit sandpaper on a popsickle stick and sanded the edges. Hopefully I took off enough material to make the neck fit later on after spraying the lacquer. I need to do some more preperation before I can start the painting process. Humidity is at 90% now so there won't be any spraying today.

I finally had some more spare time to work on the project! I'm preparing to put some color on the body so I'm going through the steps to get there.

The body is pretty much prepared but I needed a paint-stick-handle-thingy to hold the body while spray painting it.

I gave it some room around the edges so that the Lacquer won't touch the handle, this way the lacquer won't crack and get damaged when it's removed. I was a bit in a hurry to get started (I still don't have much tinkering time) so it's still a bit rough around the edges.

I didn't want to drill extra holes in the body so I decided to use the neck screw holes to attach my paint stick. I did have to modify the screw heads a little because they were to big. I placed the screws in my drill press and filed the head to a usable size.

In between these steps I also got my test piece somewhat ready for test spraying.

I want to spray the back and sides first so I masked of the front of the body. I don't want too much masking tape on the body itself to prevent damage so I cut out the body shape out of a piece of paper. This way most of the tape is now stuck to the binding.

And now... FINGERS CROSSED! I sprayed the first thin layer of base coat and it's hanging in my spray booth at this moment. I wanted to put some more layers on there today but the humidity kept creeping up so I decided to wait and continue tomorrow. Hopefully it won't take another few weeks for the next update.

Stay tuned!

I squeezed in some more guitar finishing time! I got to spray on enough of the base coat so I could move on to the first layer of color. The base coat had a tiny amount of orange peel which I sanded back just a little with 800 grit (the edges of the body with 1000 grit) smoothing it out a bit. This also got rid of the few specks of dust that got in there as well.

Here's my test piece with the first color layer, it's starting to come alive now!

And the first two layers on the body:

I hope it will get a bit darker with some more coats of nitro but it's looking good as is already! The weather is in my favor for a couple of days so I hope I can make some spare time to keep the project moving!

Lookin’ good mate

Lookin’ good mate

– RustyG

Thanks! I'm happy with how it's turning out, so far so good!

One thing I need to do for the next project is to rethink my paint-stick-handle. The body is quite heavy and it's very difficult to manoeuvre the body with my left hand while spraying with my right. Especially while trying to keep it in my small paint booth (there's also very little room and lots of dust outside the booth). But I'll work that out when we have moved to a new house in a couple of months. For now I'll have to make this work.

Got the color coat on the back and sides done today!

Not the best pic, fluorescent lighting in the evening, but you get the idea. Can't wait to paint the front of the guitar!

I also scraped the binding on my test piece to see what it looks like. Nice, but a little too white for my liking...

Will do a test with tinted lacquer to see if I can tame the white binding!

Looking great, you are on the home stretch!

Looking great, you are on the home stretch!

– Daniel Weldon

Thanks! Yes, but there's still a long way to go!

I've been very carefully taping off the binding since I don't want any tape on the fresh lacquer. The binding is going to be scraped clean anyway. I used paper to mask up the back and sides and made sure the masking tape got stuck to the previous layer of tape. I'll score the binding line when it's time to pull the masking off, that way I won't damage the lacquer I hope...

Ready for primer!

Wow,the back turned out sweet!!! Still doing the green top,right?

Wow,the back turned out sweet!!! Still doing the green top,right?

– Michael Williams

Thank you! Yes, it's still going to be green and it's gonna bee awesome, haha!

I might have been pushing it since we have sort off some extreme weather going on here. Let's hope it'll turn out fine.

Looks like I can't spray the next couple of days. Really a shame cause I'm working till friday and we're heading off on a vacation saturday. It would be nice if it could be done by then so it has two weeks off curing time without me around touching it to see if it's good to go yet...

Register Sign in to join the conversation