The Workbench

Tele scratch build thread

Aha, big audience here, now I feel the pressure...

Will you need a spacer on the back to ensure there is enough downforce at the nut?

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. I think with a thinner headstock there will be more break angle over the nut so there should be more downward pressure. Or do I have things backwards? Hmm, now I'm thinking... The tuners are the same size, so the string travel from nut to tuner post is the same angle.

Guess I'll see if any spacer is needed anywhere when I have put it together for a testdrive.

– Mike2000

Right. It depends on whether you thinned the face or the back. If you thinned the back, then the tuner posts will be taller on the face, relative to the fretboard. That’s my theory...though I had to cancel my Holiday Inn Express reservation.

Right. It depends on whether you thinned the face or the back. If you thinned the back, then the tuner posts will be taller on the face, relative to the fretboard. That’s my theory...though I had to cancel my Holiday Inn Express reservation.

Yes I took a piece of the face off, the other way around would make it look weird and less functional. All good!

Some more progress, I drilled the neck holes in the body and neck and mated the parts. Big relief, everything lines up and fits nice!

Nickel plated hardware, lovely!

Feels quite nice to finally be able to hold it like a guitar! So far so good!

WOW, just---WOW! I'm speechless! Thank you Sir!

I have no idea how so many posts happened? Sorry, if anyone can enlighten me it would help. Also don't know how to delete, or I would have.

I have no idea how so many posts happened? Sorry, if anyone can enlighten me it would help. Also don't know how to delete, or I would have.

– RCgold

If you click the tab to the right of the "reply" button, you'll get three options. One of them is "delete".

Anders

– RCgold

Wow five times! I'm blushing! Thanks!

I got one, an American Standard from 2012 with twisted/custom shop pickups. I likes it, no idea if it's considered any good?

Plus I came across this ZVEX 59 Bassman pedal... demoed with a Tele. I wonder if folks actually listen to their adverts and think it's OK?

Plus I came across this ZVEX 59 Bassman pedal... demoed with a Tele. I wonder if folks actually listen to their adverts and think it's OK?

– Vince_Ray

To me it sounds pretty harsh even with headphones on. The best sound in the clip was the clean sound I think. I don't know what to make of this pedal.

The Tele is looking great Mike. Love seeing the neck uncarved with the centreline and facet lines marked, ready for profiling.

What a job you are doing, so much detail in these updates.

The Tele is looking great Mike. Love seeing the neck uncarved with the centreline and facet lines marked, ready for profiling.

What a job you are doing, so much detail in these updates.

– ade

Thank you! I hope the neck carving won't be too difficult but we'll see... I like to document my projects so I can look back to see how I did things for future reference. Great to see a lot of you guys are enjoying this build. And ofcourse the devil's in the details!

I've been breaking my head on this one...

Since my cheapo drillpress won't reach far enough over the body to drill for the bridge holes I had to figure out another way to do this. I made a jig on the drillpress to use with my handheld drill but that didn't work well for me. I just couldn't get it to line up right so I figured I'd try to do it free-hand. It's not just the four holes for the screws to hold the bridge but naturally I want it to be a string-through-body. And to complicate things even more, I want the string ferrules to sit flush with the body. So some experimenting and practicing on scrapwood was needed.

Another go on a cutoff from the body.

And the other side, looks nice enough!

I feel confident this is going to work, I think...

I measured everything twice or more and made my marks. Here goes...

I drilled the ferrule holes in the back in three steps, first the 10mm recess, then 8mm for the ferrule followed by a 1/8" for the string through halfway through the body. All that trying to keep everything square.

I was 95% happy with how it turned out so I tried to do it better. I recently got a new plug cutter so I thought I might as well use it. One hole was a bit too far off for my liking so I cut a plug and filled it.

I tried to match the color streak in the wood, the side that's glued in followed it nicely but when sawed off it doesn't really match. Most of it will be drilled out anyway.

Here's another tricky bit. Measuring and marking out where to drill in the top side so the string through holes meet in the center of the body.

I was a bit nervous about this step.

And here's how it turned out, still not 100% in a straight line, but I think I can live with it especially since it's hand drilled.

Light shining through, the holes lined up front to back.

The bridge mounted on the body, happy that everything lines up!

Time to work on the neck.

Got some work done on the headstock. I added a plug just because I think it would make it look better, and look less naked. I don't know what kind of wood it is since it came from a piece of scrap I had laying around. It had about the right color so I just used it. This was another 'I hope this turns out okay since I don't really know what I'm doing' action, but it came out nice.

I made a jig for my belt sander so I could have it sideways and sand in a 90 degree angle.

I also drilled the out the tuner holes for the bushings. Expensive drill bit from Stewmac but it works beautifully.

The plug I made had some tear out so I made some filler to even it out. Originally I wanted the plug to be about one millimeter closer to the fretboard, but it was really difficult to aim for that. I also did'n want to mess up the fretboard by drilling too close.

I think it will look nice once it's colored and lacquered

Looking nice and clean!

Next step will be the shaping of the neck.

I started shaping the neck roughly. A spoke shave seemed like the right tool to start taking off the mayor excess, but that probably has more of a learning curve to use and set it up the right way. At this time it didn't work as I had planned. So I tried my Japanese Shinto saw-rasp and man, that is an amazing tool for this job! It really cuts like a hot knife through butter. Had to be careful not to take of too much. I didn't really had a profile in mind except that I don't want any extreme's. So no hard V-shape, or thick U- shape or something, anything in between will be fine. I also didn't do much research on how to achieve the different neck shapes. I drew out some guidelines on the neck figuring that would take me to a nice C-shape, not too thick and not too thin. I'll see what I end up with.

I made some sections to the approximate thickness.

Then I blended them together.

And roughed in the transition to the headstock and the other end of the neck.

It's starting to look good but it's gonna need lots of fine tuning.

Still watching and enjoying! This is going to be a great guitar.

Still watching and enjoying! This is going to be a great guitar.

– Troy6120

Thank you, I hope so!

I'm very interested! This is a great build.

To hell with buying the book I was looking at getting on Amazon......this thread is a wonderful journey and really am enjoying it. I am really appreciating all of the attributes (that I can think of) that must be invested.......artistry, precision, craftsmanship, knowledge of the build process and the tools, etc......

For someone (me) who has not taken on such a project, it's really a fulfilling learning experience to follow such a project. Great work!!

Excellent stuff.

I made a Tele neck from scratch once, and I swore never again.

You're doing a great job

Register Sign in to join the conversation