The Workbench

Tele scratch build thread

I know this thread has been running a while, but believe it or not last night was the first time I opened it and at 4:50am I had to call it a day and finish off today.

Mike this really has been a fantastic read. I'm thoroughly blown away by what you've achieved here. You've created a beautiful guitar and looks like you've had a blast doing it as well - much congratulations on a fine job.

As a slight derail I thought you'd like to see a pic of a Tele I used to own that was scratch-built by a good friend of mine back in the '70s - I think the colour scheme might look familiar...

Mine had a fair bit of metalwork in it though

Wow, thanks guys! I really appreciate it! I have been playing the guitar for about ten minutes total since it's finished (told you I was really REALLY busy) and surprisingly it was still in tune! I'll have to get used to the neck, it's a different shape then any of my other guitars. But still have to get used to Telecasters in general haha.

I can't wait to start on the next project but that will most likely be much later this year or even somewhere next year. We've still got a house to sell and a new one to buy, and things are getting a bit stressfull to get everything done.

I hope I'll be able to take a strum on it one day.

Sacha, we've got to make that happen when the world has turned back to normal. You're welcome to give it a testdrive!

I'll see if I can take a few snapshots soon.

I know this thread has been running a while, but believe it or not last night was the first time I opened it and at 4:50am I had to call it a day and finish off today.

Mike this really has been a fantastic read. I'm thoroughly blown away by what you've achieved here. You've created a beautiful guitar and looks like you've had a blast doing it as well - much congratulations on a fine job.

As a slight derail I thought you'd like to see a pic of a Tele I used to own that was scratch-built by a good friend of mine back in the '70s - I think the colour scheme might look familiar...

– Deke Martin

Thank you! Really nice to see that the thread was enjoyed by many members here, that makes it worthwhile! It was quite a rollercoaster ride to figure out how to build this guitar and following through to get it done.

Your guitar indeed has a familiar color scheme! And my initial plan was to make it translucent green! I still want to make that happen some day! Adding a B-bender is a bridge far for me, but who knows!

Register Sign in to join the conversation